Fears that come with 6th edition and the new codex

Tivarox

Now, I am incredibly excited for the new edition that will be officially released in a few hours (for me at least), but after reading the white dwarf that came out last week i became concerned, and rather annoyed.

The problem i will pose better be fixed with our new codex, and special rules, but if not I don't know what I will do.

As Thousand Sons we are the originators of the 5 psychic disciplines, laid down by Magnus, but according to the white dwarf we do not have access to all 5, this is already upsetting, but the worst is in regards to our special character, Ahriman. Ahriman was a Diviner, he was the best at Divining, and yet this psychic discipline is currently unusable by him? this already sets me on edge enough, I'm hoping that in the new codex there is a rule that allows the Thousand Sons access to all psychic disciplines, but if not, i really don't know what I would do.

what do all of you think about this?

Now, I am incredibly excited for the new edition that will be officially released in a few hours (for me at least), but after reading the white dwarf that came out last week i became concerned, and rather annoyed.

The problem i will pose better be fixed with our new codex, and special rules, but if not I don't know what I will do.

As Thousand Sons we are the originators of the 5 psychic disciplines, laid down by Magnus, but according to the white dwarf we do not have access to all 5, this is already upsetting, but the worst is in regards to our special character, Ahriman. Ahriman was a Diviner, he was the best at Divining, and yet this psychic discipline is currently unusable by him? this already sets me on edge enough, I'm hoping that in the new codex there is a rule that allows the Thousand Sons access to all psychic disciplines, but if not, i really don't know what I would do.

what do all of you think about this?

How were the Thousand Sons the originators of all of the Psychic Disciplines? The Eldar existed well before the Thousand Sons, as did the Tyranids, and the Thousand Sons were themselves created by the Emperor who is the most powerful Psyker mankind has ever known. i find it highly unlikely that, having stated the types of Psychic Discipline that Chaos Space Marines get access to, GW would then state in the Chaos codex that Ahriman gets all 5. Every Chaos army in existence would end up having Ahriman in it just to get the psychic goodness.

Thousand Sons : can't run, perform sweeping advances, or fire overwatch!

Thousand Sons : can charge the same turn they use a rapid fire weapon, no longer make difficult terrain checks for moving and as such no longer strike at Init 1 on the charge, no longer suffers armor hits from losing combat due to fearlessness

also the squad champion can be challenged to 1 on 1 combat, not sure if this is good or bad for Sorc's but strength 6 weapons are nice alternative to melta bombs for dread defense...

also you can only disembark from transports that move 6 inches or less, and you lose the 2.9 inches of free movement you got from disembarking from a vehicle. So, overall less people in your face....

I think the new psyhic power system is a plus, for 10 points... Telepathy seems like the best one for us. (though Biomancy would be extremely sick and probably is the reason we and Grey Knights aren't allowed to get it, and Divination we wouldn't take cause to high a likelyhood of taking useless powers)

... ;), GW? I guess we'll be swapping S&P out for something a little more relevent in the new book. Still, S&P denying Overwatch seems... strange.

When he says we invented the five disciplines, he means that Magnus is the one who codified and laid out the system of Imperial Disciplines. He's the one who decided to put the powers into five categories, and which powers go in which category.

I am really hoping they do something about that, I am just glad my Athanean Sorcerer can take powers from his discipline, but only problem is I moddeled him with a staff, and that just seems to be the worst option for power/force weapon outside of lances, as AP4... can't really cut it when you have a load of opponents in power armour, am thinking of converting a second HQ sorcerer with an axe, but not sure which cult to make him..

Well, it's not in the FAQ. >< So lets hope their FAQ was just being really lazy because the new book's out so soon... because at the moment, TS are even more crippled than they used to be since we get no benefits from Slow and Purposeful and a fethload of problems.

TS are even more crippled than they used to be since we get no benefits from Slow and Purposeful and a fethload of problems.

Models without Slow and Purposeful can't charge after rapid firing... it's minor but we can. I'm not sure its worth losing Overwatch over, but eh....

GW did get rid of all the side effects from Slow and Purposeful, and Fearless as well which was my main beef.

MoT makes you able to use two powers per turn as per p.88 in our codex. Psykers have the mastery level of the amount of powers they can use per turn as per new BRB p.66

Such is implied, yes. ^^

So the Thousand Sons finally get some recognition as the greatest non-Eldar psykers in the galaxy!

That is a good catch I missed the mastery level 2, which is a big difference. That page 66 from the rulebook is written badly, but the argument that we are mastery level 2 seems pretty justified.

I still think we can only take one power, but we are mastery level 2. Which is good cause alot of the better powers cost 2.

As stated in the rulebook. "if he does so, for each psyhic power he has purchased from Codex: Chaos Space Marines, generate a new power from the ....."

The Chaos FAQ also states that Demon Princes are Mastery level 1. :cuss

It also says Sorcerers are Mastery 1... I guess 2 with the Mark of Tzeentch. It's probably because the bonus power-per-turn isn't listed under the Mark's rules, it's listed under the Psychic Power rules.

Sorcerers are lvl 1 naturally, but the mark should change that as stated on p. 66 in the new big book. Also Narse, it's going to be the same as it was in 5th, the asp sorcerers an buy one spell, but use two each turn(before it was warptime+force weapon for cc goodness, hehe)...

Too bad the pesky nurgle followers got boosted way more than us though! They'll be popular as usual... ;)

Also Narse, it's going to be the same as it was in 5th, the asp sorcerers an buy one spell, but use two each turn(before it was warptime+force weapon for cc goodness, hehe)...

The big thing between 2 and 1, is that you can only take powers that have a 2 warp charge if your mastery level 2....

Also: Being level 2 against a level 1 means we get a 5+ to Deny the Witch. ^^

But yes, I love the fact our Sorcerers can cast higher-powered spells than un-upgraded Farseers.

I don't think deny the witch will end up being that useful, most people will concentrate on buffing powers rather than hostile powers now, but it's cool to have if only for fluff reasons. It worries me that TS usual means of bringing high strength, low AP shots has taken a serious hit though, deny the witch and no invulnerable save against PotW could be serious problems in the new codex along with slow and purposeful.

Hopefully the Mark will give us a Ghosthelm-like save (or maybe a reroll on the psychic test?). The Changer would rather mutate us than let his daemons eat us, I think. Deny the Witch is only 6+ against us for our anti-tank units though. Hopefully with the change to S&P, we'll get something else to represent our mechanical natures. I always thought we shouldn't get Slow and Purposeful unless the Sorcerer was dead anyway, but there you have it.

I actually think S&P when the sorc is gone will be the way it will go, Faeit 212 has Ksons still having relentless in the new codex from a guy who's been spot on so far with the 6th ed rules. No idea why they have this ofc, as it does nothing for them unless their weapon options are shaken up in the new codex. While DtW is 6+ for most armies, eldar's psychic defence hasn't ben nerfed, neither has wolves. All pure grey knight units and tanks will get a 5+ DtW roll and I doubt they're going to get less popular in the new edition. Of course we need to wait for the new codex, it may all be fine - I would just love for my rubric marines to be a good choice.

In the new book, who knows?

For now, we have the best basic psykers in the game (SCs will stomp us, of course...) so I say: Go for it! Slaughter the weak with our psionic might!

*Clears throat*

Well, Ladies, Gents, and all manner of beings between and besides.

In, my opinion, 6th edition has done you all the greatest favor imaginable.

Slow And Purposeful

A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule cannot run, turbo-boost, move flat out, perform sweeping advances or fire overwatch. They can, however, shoot with heavy, salvo, and ordnance weapons, counting as stationary even if they moved in the previous movement phase. They are also allowed to charge in the same turn they fire heavy, ordnance, rapid fire, or salvo weapons

You'll notice the complete lack of the words "Difficult" and "Terrain".

Archived