6th Ed and Pure Sanguinary Guard Forces?

warsmith

Hello all,

I know its early days yet but I'm just wondering what the impact of the new rules is on pure sanguinary guard forces? I've had mine on hold for a few months now in anticipation of todays release.

Can anyone help with any information?

Regards

Dan

-Their 2+ save is sweet because most Power Weapons were nerfed to AP3

-You have an opportunity to jump on enemies and do a Hammer of Wrath attack.

-Moving jump troops effectively is more complicated. (you need to manage whether you want to use your JP in the move or the assault, and the random charge distances)

-We aren't sure how Dante's weapon works.

-We aren't 100% sure how the Glaive Encarmine works but I suspect they are 2-handed mastercrafted power weapons of the type the model is carrying.

-FNP is only 5+

-Furious Charge no longer gives an initiative bonus.

I think they are much improved for 6th edition, but they still suffer from being an efficient shooting target (each unsaved wound scores a 40+ point value) in an edition that looks to become more shooty.

Ok,

-There is far less AP2 in Assault. This is a big buff for the SG.

-Charge distance is random 2D6. If you choose to 'walk' in the movement phase, you can reroll your 2D6, and get a free auto-hit of Str4 AP- at I10 for any SG model that is in base to base contact.

-Jury is out on Glaive Encarmines, but I believe they are either Str5 AP2 Init 1 Mastercrafted Two-Handed or Str4 AP3 Mastercrafted Two-handed Init 4 depending on whether they are axes or swords.

-You cannot reserve the whole army, only 50% of units max.

-No characters in your unit for the challenge system. This makes attached characters a little more vulnerable to taking bad challenge matchups.

I was just talking about this with friends, Glaive's actually need to be SXAP2 so that DOA armies have an assault unit that can crack Termies. At the moment the only thing that can do it is a melta to the face, which is fine, but as an assault army they really need to have some sort of rock to Terminators scissors cutting up our troops in assault. They would fill a nice niche in the army. As importantly it would also cost Sang Guard correctly, since it isn't a huge number of attacks they put out anyways (3 per model on the charge, reroll one miss hit)

Sadly, I have a feeling it will just be AP3...

Archived