Awesome DC

SamaNagol

True, and a crap-ton of AP3 power weapon attacks aren't really that hard to come by anyway. Just look at our lovely sanguinary guard or death co. If anything, Dante getting high strength AP2 hits makes a Dante list more flexible, imho.

Sanguinary guard are still pretty crap and DC with JP and massed power swords are ungodly expensive. High S, low I attacks were always easier to come by than high I pw attacks.

They aren't obscenely expensive when you consider what they actually get

WS5 is important. Jump Pack Rage powered charges are awesome. 5A at S5 plus the extra S5 HoW attack on each basic DC model. Power Axes are basically Fists but 10pts cheaper on Charging DC as well.

And Liturgies of Blood is far superior to Preferred Enemy now.

I'm going to give them a try

Hammer of Wrath attack is only S4, not 5, as it specifies unmodified strength, unfortunately. Still, its a free attack, so we can't complain too much. Still not sure if I'd be willing to pay the points for jump packs, though. I'd take Asty and a small unit with JPs, and a larger unit in a pod, I think.

I think the footslogging DC Mob is pretty badass.

Powerfists and Axes in DC are hidden but not. Put them in the back and they are last to go, can't be challenged, BUT characters can Shoot and CC them with precision strikes.

Swings and Roundabouts :/

I think an Epistolary is a HUGE add to them though. By all means add a Chaplain as well, but I'd take the Epistolary first, and roll two powers up from Divination.

I second the opinion that DC just got a major shot in the arm. WE CAN CONTROL THEM NOW, and they get 2 extra attacks on the charge, yah we lost +1 initiative, but such is life, I say give em back packs and watch em chomp through stuff with that many attacks, mine will have alot of Axes too, I mean you save 10 points and its still strength 6 on the charge, with a chaplin its more then enough to kill all but Dreadnoughts and landraiders...

I'm considering making 20 Bolter Death Company and an Epistolary with Terminator Armour + Storm Shield a staple.

Sure it's 595 points, but bucket dice with rerolls will kill anything and it will exert so much influence on the field.

Rolling up two powers from

1) Counter attack and Overwatch on full Ballistic Skill (Awesome, stacks with Prescience)

2) Unit gets 4+ Invulnerable Save (Amazing on Death Company, 4+ then 5+ vs power weapons)

3) Enemy unit within 24 must reroll successful saving throws (amazing again, probably the strongest power)

4) Weapons ignore cover (Depends on the army you're facing, can swap for Prescience)

5) Psyker rerolls failed to hit, to wound, and saving throws (awesome for the 2+/3++ Libby)

6) Roll 3D6 and choose the result you want for Reserves, Outflank, Mysterious Terrain. (If you're playing with Mysterious Terrain this is amazing, otherwise swap it for Prescience.)

The base power Prescience is reroll all failed to hit rolls. Shooting, Close combat,all of them.

I'm considering making 20 Bolter Death Company and an Epistolary with Terminator Armour + Storm Shield a staple.

Sure it's 595 points, but bucket dice with rerolls will kill anything and it will exert so much influence on the field.

1) Counter attack and Overwatch on full Ballistic Skill (Awesome, stacks with Prescience)

2) Unit gets 4+ Invulnerable Save (Amazing on Death Company, 4+ then 5+ vs power weapons)

3) Enemy unit within 24 must reroll successful saving throws (amazing again, probably the strongest power)

4) Weapons ignore cover (Depends on the army you're facing, can swap for Prescience)

5) Psyker rerolls failed to hit, to wound, and saving throws (awesome for the 2+/3++ Libby)

6) Roll 3D6 and choose the result you want for Reserves, Outflank, Mysterious Terrain. (If you're playing with Mysterious Terrain this is amazing, otherwise swap it for Prescience.)

The base power Prescience is reroll all failed to hit rolls. Shooting, Close combat,all of them.

The "Mezkh Monster" - damn dude. That's nuts.

Kicks unleash rage in it's teeth.

Assuming I'm reading the rules right there's nothing stopping you from taking Shrike as an ally (with some vanilla Marine Scouts or something) and attaching him to a unit of Death Company and then Infiltrating the whole lot. Sure, you can't assault on turn one but my god will your opponent panic having so many Death Company all up in his face so early in the game.

I've been running my DC in a Storm Raven, but I think I'm going to give Jump Packs a try. It's been a while since I used them, but luckily my backpacks are magnetized. I guess I need a Pod for my DC Dread. ;)

I think JP DC might be one of the future stars of our 'dex, even though they cost a bit. Now that they don't have forced movement rage, you can really put that extra mobility and/or Hammer of Wrath to good use.

Wow, that is sick. I love it.

35 points per model with just bolt pistol and chainsword.

For 5 points you get a SG with a 2+ save, angelus boltgun and a power weapon.

For 5 points you get a terminator with 2+ save, 5+ invul save, a storm bolter and power fist (or a pair of lightning claws).

The more I think about them (and try to work them into lists) the less I like the idea of putting 15 point JPs on them. It isn't as bad a value as in 5th, but I still think the JPs cost too much.

For 5 points you get a terminator with 2+ save, 5+ invul save, a storm bolter and power fist (or a pair of lightning claws).

The funny thing is, in 5th those 2 lines would have deaded the arguement right there.

In 6th it no longer does. WS5, 5A at S5 on the charge plus HoW and the Jump Pack re-roll for charge range is definitely comparable to the above.

How about thinking this way..... 50pts for a 5 attack S5 AP3 WS5 Marine who isn't a Character? Sounds even more impressive then, no?

The funny thing is, in 5th those 2 lines would have deaded the arguement right there.

In 6th it no longer does. WS5, 5A at S5 on the charge plus HoW and the Jump Pack re-roll for charge range is definitely comparable to the above.

How about thinking this way..... 50pts for a 5 attack S5 AP3 WS5 Marine who isn't a Character? Sounds even more impressive then, no?

Huh, that's actually pretty impressive.

Considering a unit like this one:

6 Death Company

- 4 with pistol, chainsword and jump pack

- 1 with pistol, power sword and jump pack

- 1 with thunder hammer, bolter and jump pack

Pts: 255

They're nice because I don't need to have them hug a unit with a Priest for buffs - they can go off and do things without needing their hands held and will destroy essentially anything on the charge.

Lysander + Death Company yes? Re-roll all those bolters :down:

But you could get this on the cheap with a Libby with Presience, no?

I'm thinking of an effective way to run a cheap version of this unit.

Sadly the more I think about it the more I think an Epistolary is required and then the termie armour and storm shield becomes more valuable, however, that would mean that two options are cut off, Drop pod and Rhino.

For me the idea would be to try and get them into mid-field/rapid firing range as soon as possible, so I'm thinking of four different configurations,

1)Reclusiarch, inf. pistol with ten DC, bolt pistols chainsword in a Crusader. (620) - Not cheaper, better at the assault, and you get an assault vehicle. But more pricey than the 20 man unit and vulnerable to challenges.

2)9 man DC Bolters, Rhino, Libby with one Divination power. (355)

3)9 DC Bolter, one with fist and Epistolary in a drop pod (390)

4)14 footslogging bolter DC with Termie Epistolary. Just a scaled back version of the twenty man. (475)

Perhaps the key in this edition might be just to get 12 or so foot slogging DC bolter for 240 points (pretty cheap) and just send them where they are needed. They'll crack most vehicles. and can lay down some nice firepower.

I think the problem I have with the bolter DC is that you cannot rapid fire and assault... So maybe just the footslogging DC bolt pistol/chainsword combo might do, and just have them run up the battlefield like Sir Lancelot in Monthy Python. Either way, I'm going to dust off the old 6 man jumppack DC unit and put them back in ym list for the moment.

Archived