Ezekiel v. Librarian in terminator armor?

Haranin

there are pro's and cons to each really. I'g go termie but thats just me, its a 25 point difference.

pros for Ezekiel

1. 3 spells.

2. Mind worm is still really good.

3. the trailors bane still works like a force weapon but its not called a force weapon, so you can get away with killing people with it each turn.

Cons to taking Ezekiel.

1. if you are running deathwing, ezekiel can't deathwing assault.

2. termies don't need the 12" fearless as they are already fearless.

3. no invun save.

I had to sit down and read over the Psychic rules to answer this thread. That is not a bad thing, so thanks for posting the thread! :huh:

This post is made with the assumption that you are playing Deathwing (due tot he mention of the termie librarian) with no ally support.

Ezekiel lost all use he had, I feel. At 170 points, he was most useful for his table-wide psychic hoods that had a 50% chance to nullify GK squads power, and a 33% chance to stop IC and vehicle psychic powers. Now with the change to hoods, our Mastery Level 1 librarians will be very underpowered. The hood only extends 6" away from the psyker, and since Mastery Level 1 is the lowest possible, it's still only on a 5+ for those few squads close enough to benefit.

So that removes the hood. Which leaves us with a 3W, 3A, WS5 character with a power weapon (which will very rarely be used for ID'ing enemies due to needing the warp charge for the psychic save), and the ability to cast Hellfire (very unpredictable and prevents you from using the save), Mind Worm (the chance of an IC failing a Leadership is very low without any way to lower their leadership), or the Force Shield (can't remember the exact name). Force Shield is by far the most useful as Ezekiel does not have an Invulnerable save. Oh, and Ezekiel doesn't have an invulnerable save! :) The 2+ armor is nice, but it still leaves Ezekiel as a character who should cost 150 but cost 170. Compare Ezekiel to Tigurius and you'll see my point. Coming back to Ezekiel's statline, you can get a 3W, 3A, WS 5 character with a power weapon, 2+ save, base 4++ invulnerable, the ability to deepstrike, a BS5 melta shot, and Litanies of Hate for 20 points cheaper.

In short, the psychic defense usefulness of Ezekiel went way down, and his statline doesn't justify his cost. Get an Interrogator-Chaplain instead, as the rerolls will be invaluable due to our DW losing the +1 A for the inevitable multi-charge.

That said, if you're playing with allies, and are open to using IG, get a Company Command squad outfitted for vehicle hunting in a Chimera, a veteran squad in a Chimera built with more melta, or plasma, and a Sanctioned Psyker squad in a Chimera. Use the ability that lowers Leadership on a Deathstar with attached IC, then Mind Worm that IC. While LD10 is hard to fail, Ld2 gets failed quite a bit. ;)

The trailors bane still works like a force weapon but its not called a force weapon, so you can get away with killing people with it each turn.

Traitor's bane is listed as being a Master Crafted Force Weapon in Ezekiel's entry, is it not?

Take a Terminator Librarian, choose your powers from the new Psychic Disciplines. Dark Angel powers are awful and you will need the Invulnerable save that Terminator Armour provides.

Archived