Assault Cannons and Cyclones

Ajax Tlamunus

The Assault Cannon is 24" S6 AP4 Heavy 4 Rending (Averaging 2.67 Hits)

Against AV 10 it will have 0.44 Glances and 0.89 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 11 it will have 0.44 Glances and 0.44 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 12 it will have 0.44 Glances and 0.00 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 13 it will have 0.03 Glances and 0.02 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 14 it will have 0.02 Glances and 0.01 Penetrating Hits

Against T4 3+ Infantry, it kills 1.04 targets per turn.

The Cyclone Krak Missile is 48" S8 AP2 Heavy 2 (Averaging 1.33 Hits)

Against AV 10 it will have 0.22 Glances and 0.89 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 11 it will have 0.22 Glances and 0.67 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 12 it will have 0.22 Glances and 0.44 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 13 it will have 0.22 Glances and 0.22 Penetrating Hits

Against AV 15 it will have 0.22 Glances and 0.00 Penetrating Hits

Against T4 3+ Infantry, it kills 0.37 targets per turn.

So it seems to me that the Cyclone Missile Launcher is still the superior standoff weapon, but that the Assault Cannon has a place on the battlefield, primarily as an anti-infantry weapon but it isn't wholly worthless against Armor.

ok if you break out the math hammer you have a 22.22% chance to shot a land raider and making it blow up (4 shots rolling a 6, then a rolling a 5 or 6) granted thats if all 4 shots hit.

also a 22% chance that you just glanced it to death as well though.

assault cannon

4 shots, 6 str rending meaning it can get up to AP 6+d6+d3 = AV 15 max (keep in mind 4 shots) 22% chance to pen then 17% chance to blow it up and 1 hull point down)

2 shots, 8 str normal shots, AP 8+d6 = AV 14 max. to max glances vs land raider also 22% chance.

IMO with the way they changed glances and stuff. I would almost be willing to go with assault cannons over CML

So it seems to me that the Cyclone Missile Launcher is still the superior standoff weapon, but that the Assault Cannon has a place on the battlefield, primarily as an anti-infantry weapon but it isn't wholly worthless against Armor.

That would be because it is true

Yes, the Cyclone has the range advantage (which is why I refered to it as "the superior stand-off weapon"), but with the Assault Cannon sharing the same range as the storm bolter... it think its going to come into its own as the infantry killer it used to be.

Something along the lines of a Deathwing Squad with 1x Assault Cannon & Chainfist; 2x Powerfist & Storm Bolter; 1x Power Sword & Storm Bolter; and, 1x Thunderhammer & Storm Shield. Works out to a nice and tidy 250 Points. Puts out an excellent number of Anti-Infantry (MEQ or GEQ) firepower, has a single Storm Shield for AP1-2 absorption, and packs a good wallop in melee against anything but very elite assault elements.

I'm thinking a good rule-of-thumb is to run one of these units for every two Cyclones...

has a single Storm Shield for AP1-2 absorption

Except that won't happen because of the way wound allocation works.

This is what will happen, if the guy in front has a storm shield then you do the normal wound group and save the ap1/2 for later. If it doesn't have a storm shield then you use the ap1/2 wounds. Under this system stormshields help the model not the unit so either go all TH/SS or go all shooty. Mixing will be pointless.

here is a chart showing what % what str and damage what AV that's out there if it hits, left side is normal attacks, and right side takes into account if the weapon rends.

enjoy.

gallery_62261_7354_42020.jpg

had to make a table cause the text didn't line up

Um, why would you assume I'm not keeping the guy with the shield in between his squaddies and the most likely source of incoming AP1 or AP2? It isn't as perfectly safe as it was, but I rather like the fact that positioning and manuvre is going to actually matter, instead of just pushing my toy soldiers across the table willy-nilly. The main utility of the single TH/SS in the above squad is probably the hammer (Monsterous Critters, Tanks, rival Termies, etc.) but its still giving a possible 3++ when needed.

I'm thinking a good rule-of-thumb is to run one of these units for every two Cyclones...

Yep and interesting as this is the exact opposite of the ideal 4th game edition mix for these two weapons.

Archived