6th Ed psychic powers

DarkGuard

As a former Warhammer Fantasy player, I can tell you that they decided to make this 6th edition similar to the fantasy one in some cases (that includes psychic powers). In WHFB magic is the same way you generate random powers according to your wizard level and if you don't like the power you get you can trade it for the signature spell (in W40k primaris power).

The best disciplines I have found for C:SM are Biomancy and Telepathy, since their primaris powers are useful regardless of choice, and the list of power are all good (albeit both have a situational kind of psychic power or opponent dependent).

The most important powers (IMHO)

Biomancy:

Iron Arm, Enfeeble, Endurance

This 3 spells are useful regardless of the enemy you face.

Haemorrhage

Awesome to deal with tyranid hordes, tau and IG

Life Leech, Smite

This is a good damage spell but if you are shooting something at 12" you better have a good melee unit with your psyker or he better be kited for melee, or as a threat for units that think of assaulting you.

Warp Speed

Only if your psyker is going to be a dueling mosnter.

Telekinesis

Assail, Crush

Nice spell with an average range for a psychic power (18") that have some added effects like strikedown or a chance to Instant Death something if you roll high enough.

Telekine Dome

5+ invul save vs. shooting, perfect for those shooty armies and general protection.

Shockwave

This is a nice attack for a melee psyker, as you can pin the models you are about to assault.

Objuration Mechanicum

Great for dealing with flyers and other vehicles.

Gate of Infinity and Vortex of Doom

You know this psychic power well enough for me to say something.

To be honest, I think the best disciplines are Biomancy and Pyromancy. I think Pyromancy is really underated as a discipline. Sure it's got a lot of shooting powers, but it has a fantastic combat buff, a fantastic blessing and all its shooting powers are pretty good anyway. Fire Shield in particular is a gem for foot armies, especially for units that don't want to be charged, handing out more hits in addition to Overwatch on the assaulting unit. And then Fiery Form not only gives +2S (cumulative with other strength mods) but also a 4++, making even a 100pt Libby a combat monster. And then you've got half of the powers there with Soulblaze, which can continue to do damage.

Of course, Biomancy is amazing, for pretty the fact it has Endurance, Enfeeble and Iron Arm, and Warp Speed isn't bad, but I'd rather have Flame Breath than Smite. But then, I'd rather have Avenger.

Telepathy I think isn't great. Terrify is great against Daemons and Nids, but not against much else. Of course, the WC2 powers are great, but we need to pay 150pts for them, which I'm starting to think might be worth it. And Psychic Shriek is nice.

I haven't used Telekinesis much, I'm not a fan of the shooting powers, and we can guarantee Gate and Vortex, while we have Force Dome which is similar to Telekine Shield. Objuration Mechanicum is nice, but that's one power in six you can roll for, not worth it IMO.

On the Chaos side of the house, I just thought of something. Mark of Tzeentch adds +1 to an existed Invulnerable save, right? On a Prince or Sorceror, this ordinarily grants a 4++. But what if that psyker cast Fiery Form on himself? That would turn the 4++ from the spell into a 3++ for the turn, right?

Does Epistolary grant a third power to the libby?

The FAQ says that both ML1 and ML2 know two powers, so does epistolary grant a third or does he still only know two powers. If this is true then I dont see the use in spending the points if they both know only two powers...

The FAQ says that both ML1 and ML2 know two powers, so does epistolary grant a third or does he still only know two powers. If this is true then I dont see the use in spending the points if they both know only two powers...

An Epsitolary is ML2. You can be ML1 and know two powers, and you can ML2 and know one power; ML =/= # of powers known.

The usefulness comes from being ML2. For example, you could cast two buffs, or two debuffs a turn. Or you can gain access to the WC2 powers, many of which are pretty awesome, like Invisibility and Hallucination.

It's still not an auto-include, but in my mind it's become more viable if you plan to use the BGB powers.

Gotta tell you, the more I play Biomancy the more I like it. In three games now in 6th Edition, I've rolled Endurance all three times, and it never fails to keep my units up and shooting. Today, the FNP kept my Libby alive through two turns of getting hammered by gauss flayers, and the Relentless was nice for keeping a plasma cannon pumping out shots to roast more 'Crons.

The usefulness comes from being ML2. For example, you could cast two buffs, or two debuffs a turn. Or you can gain access to the WC2 powers, many of which are pretty awesome, like Invisibility and Hallucination.

It's still not an auto-include, but in my mind it's become more viable if you plan to use the BGB powers.

Not to mention you get a bonus to "deny the witch" rolls if your ML is greater than the enemy "caster". :confused:

Archived