6E: Return of the Assault Cannon

ak-73

Is the Assault Cannon the Marines' new Swiss Army Knife? Anti-Horde, Anti-MC, Anti-Vehicle. My first impression is, glancing over the rules, that we might see quite some AC spam in 6E. I think volumes of high S fire might matter in 6e, given hull points and such.

Alex

Well with the changes to power weapons Terminators are looking to be nastier, so I'd expect to still see a lot of las/plas Razorbacks. They'll cut through their armour easily, are the same price, have a longer range with the lascannon, and can now fire both weapons on the go. Also, with the changes to vehicle damage table, they will still be popular, as rending is a very random effect.

However, we may see more assault cannons on Terminators and possibly Land Speeders, which would definitely be a good thing.

Terminators have gotten tougher and so have dreadnoughts(with tech marines). However, I'm not sure about AV:10 & 11 vehicles getting such an expensive "short" ranged weapon. As they are more likely to get penned and that's where the hurt is for vehicles now. Plus they are the easiest vehicles to glance on.

Blood Angel fast razorbacks perhaps, because they are so fast and have the assault squad discount. Land speeders are attractive because they can fire assault cannon and something else on the go, 7 shots for 90pts? AV10 and no save will sux big time. You can always have double heavy bolters if you just want more shots for the cheap.

The potential firepower of two AC/HB land speeders and the speed you can bring it is amazing. 180pts. doesn't bother me because I'm used to paying exactly that for two typhoons already. The range, extra strength, and AP are hard to give up.

I'm pondering the implications of 6E. AV 10/11 will be less survivable. Armies will try to spam weapons with high ROF and high S. Sprinkled with enough Melta to take on the bad guys.

This is where Sternguards come in who unfortunately share Elite slots with Terminators. so I am thinking maybe 1-2 units of Sternguards and 1-2 units of Terminators, standard Tacticals in Rhinos with maybe some sniper scouts, Land Speeder spam in Fast Attack and (Las??) Predator spam in Heavy. Maybe a Land Raider (with Las Cannons?) for the Terminators. Oh and also Combi-Flamers/Heavy Flamers for the Sternguards; I dare you to charge me.

Not so different from 5E but with different configurations and tactical roles.

Alex

Archived