Deathwing tougher in 6th Edition

Dread

It seems that due to the new rules Deathwing just became really tough to beat. It looks like there are few weapons and units that con contend with DW. This makes me, well, happy. What are y'alls thoughts?

It seems that due to the new rules Deathwing just became really tough to beat. It looks like there are few weapons and units that con contend with DW. This makes me, well, happy. What are y'alls thoughts?

Yep. There's a lot of agreement going on all over the site. There are even people considering taking Dark Angels as Allies now, just to get access to more Terminators. No doubt many of them are the same people who were advocating Codex: Dark Angels becoming one with Codex: Space Marines, but that's what happens when an army becomes powerful. Personally, I won't be touching my Dark Angels until the new codex comes out. I'm happy enough with my Grey Knights for now.

So I played my first game of 6th using my DA against a powergamer BA player (I mention that simply because he fielded a horrible meta'd (for 5th) list).

I tabled him in turn 4 while controlling both of the objectives :D . He couldn't touch my boys in Green. I can confirm that Deathwing are stupendously powerful, especially using assault cannons as tank busters. RW got a boost too, with jink, and T5 being a hard upgrade. The hammer of wrath rules are kinda cool too.

My DA had a very successful weekend as a whole too, so I promise you won't be disappointed.

I am worried that the new 'dex may take away our mixing and matching weapons in DW squads though...

Woe to those that used lightning claws though...

Meh... Makes my 8 squads with Storm bolters more attractive while only nerfing three squads of claws... and truthfully, 24 attacks, re-rolling misses and re-rolling wounds will still cause a few failed saves.

Edit: AP3?* They'll be fine because you shouldnt be charging a hammernator squad with termies.... Take out the softer squshier troops squads to win the game

*Havent plunked for the 6th book yet. Salt etc....

I am worried that the new 'dex may take away our mixing and matching weapons in DW squads though...

I'd like to think that's sacrosanct to the DW and would not be changed .... but you just don't know do you :D

Great news on your successful DA this weekend gone rpnightsend.

Cheers

I

ap3 is ok - as brother dean said

you shouldnt be charging a hammernator squad with termies....

i still see at least one or two per squad to even out combat and protect cyclones from being included in the inv saves from shields.

reading elsewhere - feel ap4 mauls/chaplains have been nerfed a bit form the sound of things. considering they are hunting the fallen they dont have the tools to crack open their armour now!

Chaplains, Captains, and Librarians all serve distinct battlefield roles now... which is nice, because for the last two editions there was always an "odd man out" among them. The Chaplain's crozius arcanum is still going to be striking at S6 and the Chaplain still has a high WS, I and A traits, he'll do just fine against power armored foes.

I'd like to think that's sacrosanct to the DW and would not be changed .... but you just don't know do you :rolleyes:

Great news on your successful DA this weekend gone rpnightsend.

Cheers

I

Thanks! and I know... but who knows, its always a possibility.

Glad to be back in green... errrr... blue and grey... but thats cosmetic. They're all Dark Angels on the inside.

The Chaplain's crozius arcanum is still going to be striking at S6 and the Chaplain still has a high WS, I and A traits, he'll do just fine against power armored foes

could be why asmodai had a powersword too.....

As of today, no one has access to flakk from any codex. Keep calm and carry on purge the Unclean.

I've not fully read throught the rulebook yet but does iit not say that they are standard ammo then? Or have they been FAQ'ed already?

Dan

Played my 1st 6th ed game, against nids assault list, i was using 6 deathwing squads belial and ezekiel (using psychic powers that work was weird :tu: ) ....anyway we finished the game on turn 5 cz the store was closing, but what i managed to see was:

- Going 1st is vital, as all missions have slay the warlord secondary rule, means taking out rhinos/mc's will give 1 victory point!

- Biomancy powers can hurt...at som point he maledicted belials squad with 2 enfeebles, making them Toughnes 2 and S2, which with thunderhammers went to S4

- Randomly determind psychic powers may be a setback for other codexes, but for us , pretty much anything is better than what we have in the codex, ezekiel kept giving belials command squad reroll to hit in cc and shooting!

- Takes alot of getting used to , to the whole victory points....secondary objectives play a huge role!

Biggest concern is librarian master 1 limits, and no flakk.

Shrug. Guess its times for some IG allies...

....which is precisely the point! After hydra sales slow down in a couple of months (not to mention that you at least need a primaris and a vet squad to unlock the three hydra squadron), they'll release C: DA with flak and simultaneously FAQ all marines to have flak.

Or maybe a small corporation with a staff of only a dozen authors tasked with developing four to six sperate products lines at one time might require some time to develop these things?

So much easier to blame a conspiracy, instead of understanding reality.

Well, it's not much of a conspiracy if it relies on people spending enormous wads of cash on fliers that they didn't already have so as to stimulate the purchase of allied AA vehicles by players who didn't already have them - especially after blowing £45 on the rulebook in the first place :)

In my first 6th ed game I noticed mainly that the game has shifted to a more shooty less kick the booty in cc game. I remains to be seen as to how much I like or dis-like as opposed to 5th but that will take time. Of course any of us can see that they came up with some of the new rules to boost their sales but that is business, I just hope our dex is next, fingers crossed.

I really think the addition of aircraft is more of a "wag the dog" moment than an evil money-grab... long time fans have been asking for aircraft to be included in 40K for more than a decade. The first half-dozen products created by Forgeworld, that weren't just turret swaps or titans, were all Imperial Navy or Xenos flyers. Every flyer they'e released as a plastic Citadel kit has sold like proverbial hotcakes and the FW kits are incredibly popular (held back only by a signifigant chunk of the fanbase beleiving FW isn't official).

Sixth Edition is less than a week old. Let's reserve the doom-and-gloom for when they have released a couple codices.

Or maybe a small corporation with a staff of only a dozen authors tasked with developing four to six sperate products lines at one time might require some time to develop these things?

They mostly have separate authors for Lotr, 40k, and fantasy. So it isn't a lack of developers that leads to slow releases. It is mostly down to GW not wanting to do multiple large releases at the same time. Although I personally think they could get it down to bi-monthly if they tried.

Archived