Invalidations

Unforgiven2544

Good Day Fellow Gamers,

Since the new rulebook differentiates between power swords, power axes, power mauls, power spears, and all sorts of other weapon variants... how do you feel about it?

Are you feeling like some of your sergeants have gotten boosted? nerfed?

Since my sergeants/veterans come in one of two flavors Power Weapon, or Power Fist... but characters are now equipped with spears/halberds, axes, mauls, swords... and I don't necessarily want to actually have them be axes or mauls. At least.. not now...

Would you object to me using colors to indicate roles as far as what the weapons are? Blue = Power Sword, Red = Power Axe, Yellow = Power Maul or something along those lines. Or, should I just bite the bullet and make new sergeants/veterans with more of the other options to bring them in line with 6th edition?

In the meantime, would you get unruly if I declared carte blanche that all of the power weapons were Power Swords the beginning of the battle? Even if some of them looked suspiciously mace-like?

I am ... concerned.

Very Respectfully,

--Unforgiven

Good Day Fellow Gamers,

Since the new rulebook differentiates between power swords, power axes, power mauls, power spears, and all sorts of other weapon variants... how do you feel about it?

Are you feeling like some of your sergeants have gotten boosted? nerfed?

Since my sergeants/veterans come in one of two flavors Power Weapon, or Power Fist... but characters are now equipped with spears/halberds, axes, mauls, swords... and I don't necessarily want to actually have them be axes or mauls. At least.. not now...

Would you object to me using colors to indicate roles as far as what the weapons are? Blue = Power Sword, Red = Power Axe, Yellow = Power Maul or something along those lines. Or, should I just bite the bullet and make new sergeants/veterans with more of the other options to bring them in line with 6th edition?

In the meantime, would you get unruly if I declared carte blanche that all of the power weapons were Power Swords the beginning of the battle? Even if some of them looked suspiciously mace-like?

I am ... concerned.

Very Respectfully,

--Unforgiven

If you declared that ALL of your weapons were of a particular type within your army I'd have no problems with it at all. I do actually have a mace on one of my Tactical Sergeants and I'll be keeping it as is (my main foes are Guard and Orks). That said, if you went down the colour coded route I wouldn't be too bothered, though the little purist voice in the back of my head would be screaming at me :)

I don't feel nut-kicked about power weapons/force weapons at all. I like the differing effects. I got to watch them in action this past evening in the form of two 10-man Chaos Terminator squads armed with a wide variety of weapons- power mauls, power axes, power fists, chain fists, lightning claws. The only thing not present were power swords. Got to see these oddball weapons work in tandem. I think it is pretty awesome. Totally different feel to the rules with the way casualty removal works, and how shooting/overwatch works. Very interesting game rules. I can't wait to play a game with a variety of armies against a variety of armies.

People are going to whine about things that can't do what they used to, but they really need to start thinking about what the new effects allow them to now do. Power mauls/crozius arcanums will shred vehicles in close combat. Strength 6 versus rear armor? I do do believe the Leman Russ Demolisher chassis equivalents with their rear AV 11 just pooped themselves a little bit. :) Sure, a crozius won't be bashing heads on TDA and MEQs as much, but it will be forcing armor saves more often and will be a terror vs. Nobz, 'Nid Warriors, most Necrons, and a variety of other units. Some things are lost, but some good things are gained. Chaplains seldom run amok solo anyways. I think that power maul bit on the DA Vets sprue is going to grow on people slowly but surely, and DA vets armed with a variety of power weapons will be springing up. Remember that power weapons are fairly cheap, and the variety of their effects makes units that can take a good number of them, and thus a variety of them, will be very interesting. This ties in to pile in moves according in Initiative too. Play a few games and you will see what I mean. If you just want power swords and power fists though, it is not like there isn't a ton of those bits out there.

Let's say I field a large unit of DA Vets, all decked out for close combat. I will predominantly want power swords in the unit, which I think DA units should have anyways. I will also want a couple power mauls and axes in there too. Finish it off with the obligatory powerfist or thunder hammer, and you have a versatile, interesting unit that can deal with a variety of foes quite well (so long as your model placement is careful and you don't take casualties among the models that will be best suited to dealing with whatever foe the unit is facing).

Thing is most of our models and especially conversions are decked out for the cool factor. And now that has rules implications...

Lets see things from a gamer perspective:

Well excuse me but i did not even modeled belial with a TH because i want him to be iconic with his sword and now i cant even shred a terminator with a LR point equivalent model...

A friend made an ultra cool conversion of a company champion with a power maul. And now all he can use him for is to kill guardsmen and the like...

Not to say a thing about a 1000 other conversions out there that simply will be shelved due to this rule which IMHO has no value.

If you are going to take a power axe go the whole route and buy a PF anyway.

If they wanted a pure anti infantry weapon they could add rules to the chainsword. Dont tell me the chainsword cant mince guard armor?

Since when flak needed a 'power' weapon to crack it open? Why arent marine combat blades ruled as well?

And all things considered the axe and maul should be on opposite places IMHO.

This all boils down to this: They wanted to make artificer armor (chars) and terminators more survivable without touching their baseline stats and invented this which has the added effect of forcing us to bit hunt and make new models (good luck equipping a chaos terminator force with power mauls).

From a modeling perspective:

People simply dont care because they will keep building what they like and that is and should be.

Now onto the questions of the OP:

If i were to play as your opponent you might as well as use powered toothpics painted pink for all i care as long as you tell me whats what and i note it down.

Now that i read this it sounds a little bit of a rage. Just to clarify as of a few months ago i dont care for the tabletop i am sticking to the modeling part.

I just tried to make a brake down of the + and - of this rule.Which btw is a nice addition but implemented wrong.IMHO they aimed to make chars and terminators more survivable and missed the target in the end. Either that or they wanted to destroy berserkers.

EDIT: About the force weapons: If the new psykers are as OP as the rumor-mil says then nerfing their instakill might not be as bad.

Personally I like the change to different types of power weapons.

As to what I would think about counts-as if I was your opponent; so long as you were clear prior to the game starting about what your sergeants etc were kitted out with, and I was allowed to refer to your army list during the game if my brain got confused, then you could model them as you liked :lol:

Archived