Robed or unrobed?

Magnus Thane

Evening brothers,

i only use about 12% of my army as robed. Im collecting a battle company and give all of my sargents robes. Iv also given all of my characters except the chaplin and my entire unit of company veterens robes as i think it fits the fluff better. i havent given my command squads (with the exception of the sargents) robes as, in my view, these are selected from the company itself so would not have been inducted into the deathwing.

Since I'm re-doing my army with magnets and updating the paint scheme, I'm looking at 50 robed, 0 unrobed when I get done though I really have >100 unrobed power armor bodies at the moment.

Every model in my Dark Angels army that wears power armor is robed. The only non robed models are my terminators and the majority of my bikers, although the bike sergeants are robed. I wanted every model to have a robe, it just looks so badass on the table.

I run a Ravenwing which has robes on the Sgts, characters, and command squad. My Deathwing has robes on the Command and Characters only. All robed is intimidating, but I use them on characters to make them easier to identify.

For my vets i plan to mix DA robed vets with the non robed vets (MKI and MKII) of the SM's.

Sergeants I'm hoping to put in robes too.

My Command Squad will probably be unrobed.

Interesting how diverse the application is among the players. Though I did consider going full robed. The details on the regular SM-line vets is so nice I couldn't bring myself to go full on robed.

All my HQs and veterans are robed, as is my first tactical squad. That's 25 odd marines off the top of my head. That leaves three tactical squads and two devastator squads without robes.

Whilst i think robes are cool enough, i like having a majority of my force in polished DA green power armour so there is no denying which chapter it is which has just tabled my opponent. Anyone can throw a bath robe over their armour but the machine spirit gets angry if it is hidden away.

Al

My Vet's and Sgt's are all robed. Except for one Sgt- the one with the big wings on his helmet? Ah, heck, here are some pix...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Tamwulf/Sqaud1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Tamwulf/Sq2.jpg

I have enough upgrade sprues to make 30+ more PA guys in Robes. My plan was to make all my guys in robes. The imagery of a bunch of guys in power armor wearing robes and shooting big guns is just awesome. I'm sure I'll be revisiting this idea when the new codex comes out.

I got too much other stuff in my painting que right now. :)

sergeants and important people wear robes, grunts wear armour and i have a few robes dotted hear and there to spice things up.

The best answer to the question is "yes." I have three robed tactical squads, and two unrobed. My robed squads have unrobed sergeants and vice versa. My devastators have no robes. My assault marines don't, either. When I get done with the 5th company, I'll have ~1/3 of the company, mostly tactical marines, in robes. Nothing wrong with robed devs, I just didn't do them that way...robes and jump packs don't mix, though, in my opinion!

Nothing wrong with robed devs, I just didn't do them that way...robes and jump packs don't mix, though, in my opinion!

Seconded,though i believe wielding a heavy weapon with a robe is rather ineffective.Not that robe would last but saying...

For what little its worth, I plan on adding tunics and tabbards nicked from the Black Templars dirty laundry pile to the Sergeants and Corporals of my Assault Squads. Just doesn't seem right to forego the monastic look completely. However since I will be playing the Angels of Redemption, with the halved green and white scheme*, I want to show off the colours and will be keeping robes to a minimum: sergeants, corporals, power armoured Elites and HQs.

* More properly party per pale vert and argent. Whoo-hoo, putting that medival history degree to work!

Robes only on the sergeants and officiers to make them stand out and for BG reasons...

In official BG the robe is a symbol of rank so a simple brother unaware of the secret of the fallen cannot wear the robe cause the robe is to "hide" the shame about the fallen and if you are not a deathwing member you cannot know aboput the fallen...

so all vet sergeants are member of the deathwing and wear robes and masters/grand masters/chaplains/librarians are deathwing too (and sometimes inner circle too) so they all wear robes...

I dont use company veterans for fluff reasons (they are coming out from nowhere without reason to exist so i dont use them) but my command squads are both robed ( i guess that comamnd squads members know the secret as they are picked up by the master itself)... i have 2 command sqauds in PA one for 5th company (Master sheol is the company leader following official BG) and one for Azrael itself (i use only metal robed models including Borther Bethor as standard bearer of the Chapter)... command squand of the RW is full robed too and i am modifying a command squad of the DW using tabards from PA BT...

I use robes to denote rank, specifically the colour of the robes.

Red/Crimson: Bladewing Veterans (Deathwing)

Green/Emerald: Dragonwing Riders (Ravenwing)

Still not sure what to paint the robes of the Battle Company yet. I have also been thinking about doing the Bladewing robes as dark blue or even purple to go with the black of their armour.

My general rule of thumb is that my sergeants and veterans may be robed (usually at least a tabbard if nothing else though) but it isn't required (I still have a lot of unrobed sergeants). The rest of my marines tend to go un-robed (though I currently have a member of a devastator squad done up in Deathwatch colours and he is in a robe).

Archived