6th..... Are jump pack assault marines any good?

Jorre

As a fast army we should always be placing 1 objective away from the rest. It will force our opponent to split forces and as soon as that happens you have got him! You can use your speed to relocate to the weaker flank with part of your army, another part of your army should already be there so can advance to the enemy and the third then drops in on them giving you 3 waves of pure aggression hittin only part of his force and then rolling through from 1 side.

I am looking forward to getting my DOA list on the table for my first games. Yeah its a downer that I cant just drop on my opponent on turn 2 but now I have some stuff on the table but my hammer will still drop on turn 2/3. Vanguard vets geared for assault backed up by honour guard with melta death. I may stick in a loose priest to run behind the venvets for FC and FNP because they can hopefully always reach assault using the re-roll and getting the HoW for assaulting with JP.

As a fast army we should always be placing 1 objective away from the rest. It will force our opponent to split forces and as soon as that happens you have got him! You can use your speed to relocate to the weaker flank with part of your army, another part of your army should already be there so can advance to the enemy and the third then drops in on them giving you 3 waves of pure aggression hittin only part of his force and then rolling through from 1 side.

I am looking forward to getting my DOA list on the table for my first games. Yeah its a downer that I cant just drop on my opponent on turn 2 but now I have some stuff on the table but my hammer will still drop on turn 2/3. Vanguard vets geared for assault backed up by honour guard with melta death. I may stick in a loose priest to run behind the venvets for FC and FNP because they can hopefully always reach assault using the re-roll and getting the HoW for assaulting with JP.

Remember Vanguard can't use their jump packs to assault on the turn they deepstrike. So no reroll to assault and no hammer of wrath.

Take some jumppack marines with meltas. Then buy heavily JP DC, field them huge number and watch them wreck everything. First strike with 7 assault per DC!! That's insane and you can fully control them....

I'm of the opinion DoA armies will slowly die. The reason I say this is that the RAS role is changed. Whereas before a RAS with a Priest could be guaranteed to beat/break most non-assaut units, 6th edition throws up her hand. I think in this edition flamers will be the primary choice and RAS will be used to assist tactical squads for turns 1-2 turning into 'bait' squads for your dedicated jump troops (death company or s. guard) in turn 3-5.

I say this because of the changes to Furious Charge, snap fire, and jump packs. I'm going to try to run a bit more firepower in 6th with 2 tactical squads rather than 1 to hold objectives. The changes to movement really make tacticals the preferred objective holder. I expect to put my priests in S Guard units (with Dante as my HQ) or chaplains in DC (with Astorath as my HQ) if I don't mind holding objectives.

As such, I think the days of pure DoA armies are limited. I think you're going to need the flexibility of tacticals to hold objectives and devastators to counter flyers once GW deigns to allot flakk missiles.

I play my first game soon so after 3-4 games I'll see how wrong I am.

Edit: typo

Archived