Seth and the new edition

DeadOnArrival

few threads discussing hqs in the new edition and id like some thoughts on Seth under the new rules.

a 4++ and an I5 striking str 8 weapon would seem to make him a good duel contender and the shift in power weapons stats may mean that causing loads of saves is just as good an option and theres always rending.

so any one else thinking of taking him to try out? or even had some good moments last ed with him?

I used to use him alot in 5th, he was great at cutting tanks in half and dealing with hoards. Now with the rule changes for assaulting out of a vehicle I don't think i'll field him unless in a land raider. A storm raven is also an option but those strength 10 hits on a squad if destroyed is a worry.

yeah hes got to be transported its true but thats something many many hqs deal with and also now we have to have units on the table (only 50% in reserve right?) so your gonna have units down anyway.

also on the raven front, considering how effective it is now, thats likely to see more lists.

I've been trying to think of how to use him too. The raven looks like the best bet, but it's a chunk of points and doesn't leave alot of room in my army (especially if I'm upgrading my DC w/ jump packs now). I thought of having him ride in a razor like I did in 5th, but I'm really hesitant about the new transport assault rules. The best you can do is a 3rd turn charge no matter what you take, but staying safe before this time is a list building challenge. Has anyone considered using a drop pod?

A storm raven is also an option but those strength 10 hits on a squad if destroyed is a worry.

Remember thats only for zooming! So, if your enemy has loads of skyfire, then look to moving on as a skimmer.

A storm raven is also an option but those strength 10 hits on a squad if destroyed is a worry.

Remember thats only for zooming! So, if your enemy has loads of skyfire, then look to moving on as a skimmer.

Thats true, Ideally it would be able to survive at least one turn zooming then a following turn hovering to unload. Don't own one yet so don't have any experience on their survivability. I thought about using the raven to carry just a dread. At least then your only risking a hull point and a small chance of it being wrecked rather then a good chance of loosing a full squad? Still doesn't really solve the problem of what to do with Seth though.

I've recently been experimenting with introducing Stormravens to my BA lists given that the rule changes has made me incredibly hesitant to use DoA and I must say that while flying, they are an amazing force to be reckoned with. The amount of skyfire you're worried about just isn't present in on the field yet, and very little has been able to put a dent on my stormravens. I ran a pair in a Tycho list (Filled with twin Sanguinary Guard units), and they were fearsome indeed. The addition of long range anti-tank fire via the Lascannons is an incredibly welcome addition to a Blood Angels army in my opinion.

Truly, I am saddened that the utility of Jump Blood Angels is not what it is, but I am heartened that Stormravens, Tycho, and Fast Rhinos are even more amazing than they were previously.

Funny thing is I'd just built an honour with 3x Power Axes, + a Flamer Razorback to run with Seth just before 6th dropped... sucks to be me lol.

So now thinking of other plans as I really want to run Seth for my Flesh Tearers for fluff reasons. So was thinking,

Seth + Assault Marines x 10 + Priest in Storm Raven

or Seth + Honour Guard in drop pod....

Hmmm..

Any suggestions?

I used to run Seth.

I took him in a Land Raider Redeemer with

Honour Guard (3 PW, PFist, Chapter Banner, )

A Chaplain and a Librarian to dump Unleash Rage on Seth.

That squad is insanely expensive and inefficient, but it does nasty things. I once charged 30 orks and killed all but a few. Took no wounds in return.

Seth is deceptively amazing. 3+4++ makes people scoff. AP- close combat, not eternal warrior makes people scoff. I will never run my Flesh Tearers without their chapter master. Rending is AP 2 now, a rarity in close combat. To make his hits stick, a chaplain or librarian almost promises it. Now, a handful of DC Brothers with a Chaplain and a solid delivery system make him great. At initiative str 8 rending potential, that can elect to AUTO-HIT base to base. So give him room to allow pile ins of enemies. And don't forget he's 4 wounds, so he can take some punishment at a very cheap price.

And honestly, with how good a Stormraven is now, his delivery system is well covered. Just my experience.

• 1 month later...

Archived