Sternguard armies in 6th Edition

Cmdr Shepard

I've just posted a reply to your list in that thread. Although, if I'd known you were taking Drop Pods, I would have recommended just starting everything on the board. Rapid fire changes have made Sternguard better at footslogging, so it could well work that way as well. Especially as you're game seems more about area denial than attack. Something else to consider in edition to what I mentioned in that thread.

I've just posted a reply to your list in that thread. Although, if I'd known you were taking Drop Pods, I would have recommended just starting everything on the board. Rapid fire changes have made Sternguard better at footslogging, so it could well work that way as well. Especially as you're game seems more about area denial than attack. Something else to consider in edition to what I mentioned in that thread.

I read your reply. (I made a typing mistake about meltagun on Sergeant, I wanted to give him melta-bombs :( )

Originally I planned to make Sternguard footslogging but I heard many players think tranposrt for them is a good choice .

If footslogging Sternguard is a better choice I'll be even happier. More points for other models and the project will remain closer to my original idea ;)

Well most of your army is footslogging, so it could still be viable. Also, you're dropping those Sternguard on their own, pretty much unsupported. I'd actually footslog them. Keep them near the Terminators and you can have a dangerous part to your battle line there that people will want to avoid.

Well most of your army is footslogging, so it could still be viable. Also, you're dropping those Sternguard on their own, pretty much unsupported. I'd actually footslog them. Keep them near the Terminators and you can have a dangerous part to your battle line there that people will want to avoid.

Sounds a very good plan ;)

Scouts hold objectives in the "rearguard zone" while the rest of the army advances, supported on tur 2/3 by Stormtalons.

What's your opinion on Librarian? Do you think he is useful in that army? If so what discipline do you suggest?

Thanks for your suggestions, DarkGuard

Librarians are always useful.

As you don't have much low AP stuff Null Zone isn't as massive a thing. Therefore, consider Biomancy for Enfeeble and Endurance (if you're lucky). The other spells in there aren't bad.

Or if you're lucky Pyromancy has a good cover save spell and a combat buff.

Of course, Gate is still good in this list, so Null Zone and Gate can be very good as well.

Librarians are always useful.

As you don't have much low AP stuff Null Zone isn't as massive a thing. Therefore, consider Biomancy for Enfeeble and Endurance (if you're lucky). The other spells in there aren't bad.

Or if you're lucky Pyromancy has a good cover save spell and a combat buff.

Of course, Gate is still good in this list, so Null Zone and Gate can be very good as well.

Is Mastery 2 worth its cost? Since I'll remove the drop pods I have 70 pts available...

Just a tactical question. If an unit of scouts is inside the Bastion can it use the quad gun on the roof, since it's part of building weaponery, or should I have models on the roof itself?

I think the quad gun you need to be in base contact, not 100% sure though. And with the Libby ML2 wouldn't be too bad if you have the points spare. Although I'd consider grabbing him Terminator armour and a storm shield first to keep him alive.

I think the quad gun you need to be in base contact, not 100% sure though. And with the Libby ML2 wouldn't be too bad if you have the points spare. Although I'd consider grabbing him Terminator armour and a storm shield first to keep him alive.

I checked the rulebook and it seems you have to be base contact if you have on the ground (it can be a valide target with T7 2 wounds and power armour like save) but the rules say weapons that are part of a building can be operated by the occupying unit. Anyway I'm thinking to use an Aegis Defense line to reduce the controversy during the match, and saving 25 pts.

If I can have more points after I modify the list I could try to fill a third Stormtalon simply because I think it may be a better interceptor than a T7 immobile platform (las cannos wound it on 2+ with no armour save)

I'll have to calculate the cost of the Librarian before making additions :)

Well, remember that you will most likely get a cover save on the quad gun for being behind the Aegis Line. :P

Indeed ;)

I updated the list. I have only to add the "Aegis Line" option (I'll test both Bastion and Defense Line just to satisy my curiosity, it just requires two matches ;) ) and the "build" will be operative.

Thanks for your assistance

Foot slog your Sternguards but buy a no-frills Rhino for them anyway. Use it to block LOS to your expensive Sternguards, especially when it comes to very shooty enemy units you don't want to shoot at yourself. Also you can use cheap Rhinos still to try and block would-be chargers, firing through gaps. Totally worth 35 pts.

Alex

Kraken bolts will now be a bit better, rapidfire 15/30" range 21/36 if advancing. :) Sternguard will now attract a lot (more) attention, My advice would be to use them in droppods but have them heavily supported by tactical squads also in droppods or deepstriking assault squads/terminators. If you can screen them with those units it lets them do their job(shooting) much better and give them a cover save. Also if things get tight you can charge them in to help support a overwhelmed unit close by. They are not great in CCB but on the charge with 3 attacks (4 if Kantor is pimping around) is better than most. Scouts now I find only good because of precision fire, but largely ineffective as snipers unless you need a very cheap tactical slot choice or have left over points.

Taking a librarian/s with Biomancy and/or Divination would be the most useful with stearnguard. Pyromancy and Telekinesis are nice but your stearnguard are damaging enough on their own, you just want to keep them in the fight as long as possible to do more damage.

Foot slog your Sternguards but buy a no-frills Rhino for them anyway. Use it to block LOS to your expensive Sternguards, especially when it comes to very shooty enemy units you don't want to shoot at yourself. Also you can use cheap Rhinos still to try and block would-be chargers, firing through gaps. Totally worth 35 pts.

Alex

Drop pods can land empty and still block line of sight for you. The only advantage the Rhino has over it now is a little more survivable and mobility. I think landing empty drop pods in front of the opponent and make a hull point wall they need to move around is much better than a wrecked rhino blocking my line of sight as well when it (eventually) is destroyed. With reserves now coming in on a 3+ combined with a locater beacon or 2 thrown in I think its worth considering. The difference in tactic i guess would come down to mindset of hunker down with a defensive gun line or an aggressive short range firefight attack. From above suggests i choose the latter because its risky but it usually automatically puts my opponent on the defensive which lets me dictate the flow of the game unless it goes wrong and blows up in my face. :P

I say give them back up from a Master of the Forge with two Plasma Pistols and enjoy the Plasma death! I'm tempted to do this myself pretty soon.

I was even tempeted to put a Master of the Forge on a bike with Conversion Beamer but he wouldn't have been very useful in that list. When Sterguard units reach their 24" range Conversion beamer loses much of its power.

With the "Plasma Death" build your mentioned he will have even a flamer with his serveo harness for nice d3 auto hits during overwatch. If you add the heavy flamer and three combi flamer I plan to put in each sterguard unit, most enemy will have a terrible surprise if they try to assault me ;)

remember the flamers in combi-flamers are 1 use per battle, If you use them to shoot instead of your bolter that is your 1 time use. I just checked my codex and its stated there plain as day.

remember the flamers in combi-flamers are 1 use per battle, If you use them to shoot instead of your bolter that is your 1 time use. I just checked my codex and its stated there plain as day.

I know they are 1 use per battle. The plan is to use them when expensive models like sternguard are charged. They grant you d3 auto-hit per flamer. This means that if the enemy charge one of my sterguard unit I'll use the flamers instead of firing bolters at BS1 ;). 3xd3 auto-hit flamer shots and 1 d3 auto-hit heavy flamer shot plus 6 BS1 bolter shots (I suppose we can use special ammo) and 1 meltagun shot (not a great deal but better than nothing).

I suppose it's not pleasing to assault an unit like that ;)

Sternguard + librarian with Foreboding psychic power. they gain counter charge and fire overwatch at full ballistic skill. Add in Hellfire or vengence rounds with rapidfire and you have a shredded charging unit that may not even get into charge rang because of taking so many casualties. If they do, pff you have counter charge with a librarian to boot. WIN!

Note: I think these new psychic powers plus power house units like sternguard are the way to make C:SM in particular deadlier than ever.

Sternguard + librarian with Foreboding psychic power. they gain counter charge and fire overwatch at full ballistic skill. Add in Hellfire or vengence rounds with rapidfire and you have a shredded charging unit that may not even get into charge rang because of taking so many casualties. If they do, pff you have counter charge with a librarian to boot. WIN!

Note: I think these new psychic powers plus power house units like sternguard are the way to make C:SM in particular deadlier than ever.

Forboding is Divination. Bizarrely (because canonically Tigurius is supposed to have the powers of foresight) Codex Space Marines don't get Divination.

I say give them back up from a Master of the Forge with two Plasma Pistols and enjoy the Plasma death! I'm tempted to do this myself pretty soon.

I've seen you mention this a few times, you do mean 2 as in 1 bought and one from the servo harness, correct? He can only purchase 1 plasma pistol, since he replaces his boltgun with it.

if he could dual wield plasma pistols though... *drool*

Forboding is Divination. Bizarrely (because canonically Tigurius is supposed to have the powers of foresight) Codex Space Marines don't get Divination.

Well there is still a way to get it. Ally yourself with a Brother in arms army that have access to the power, like Blood Angels or Space Wolves, for example. If you want that power at all costs ;)

I've seen you mention this a few times, you do mean 2 as in 1 bought and one from the servo harness, correct? He can only purchase 1 plasma pistol, since he replaces his boltgun with it.

if he could dual wield plasma pistols though... *drool*

Since he has a TL plasma pistol from the servo harness and the option to exchange his bolter with antoher, not TL, Master of The Forge de facto has two of them. ;)

To be honest I'm working from memory as my Codex is packed away, but if I remember correctly you can exchange weapons for a pistol and power weapon and that made me assume you'd be able to choose a plasma pistol over a power weapon.

If not then I still rate a 2 Plasma shot MotF ;)

To be honest I'm working from memory as my Codex is packed away, but if I remember correctly you can exchange weapons for a pistol and power weapon and that made me assume you'd be able to choose a plasma pistol over a power weapon.

If not then I still rate a 2 Plasma shot MotF ;)

I checked the Codex. He can exchange his bolter for a Plasma pistol and he can take a Thunderhammer or a power weapon. So only one Plasma pistol+ built-in TL Plasma Pistol. Still two nice Plasma shots per turn ;)

Oh ok hehe. You choose a Bolt pistol or Boltgun. You then have the option to trade the boltgun for a few things, one of which is the pas pistol. Then you can purchase a powerweapon separately (no trading required).

Shepard: yup, that much i know, but I assumed Idaho meant purchasing 2x pistols in addition to the servo harness.

So sadly no gunfighter awesomeness ;)

But yes! plas pistol, with a powerwep is still quite nice. 2 shots on the charge aint shabby (great way to melt a powerfist before you engage if they miss their LoS), and the extra attack surely doesnt hurt.

Oh ok hehe. You choose a Bolt pistol or Boltgun. You then have the option to trade the boltgun for a few things, one of which is the pas pistol. Then you can purchase a powerweapon separately (no trading required).

Shepard: yup, that much i know, but I assumed Idaho meant purchasing 2x pistols in addition to the servo harness.

So sadly no gunfighter awesomeness ;)

But yes! plas pistol, with a powerwep is still quite nice. 2 shots on the charge aint shabby (great way to melt a powerfist before you engage if they miss their LoS), and the extra attack surely doesnt hurt.

Well "gunfighter" in 6th edition seems to mean: being able to fire two pistols. MotF can still fire two plasma shots. He won't be better than other "gunfighters" but he will as good as them ;)

Archived