Sternguard armies in 6th Edition

Cmdr Shepard

Well "gunfighter" in 6th edition seems to mean: being able to fire two pistols. MotF can still fire two plasma shots. He won't be better than other "gunfighters" but he will as good as them :)

He always could though. According to the rules for the servo-harness he can always fire 2 weps, either both servo-harness weps, or one SH and one normal wep. So in that regard he didnt gain anything.

And actually...even if he could purchase 2 plasma pistols, it would be a wash, as he couldnt fire the SH if he fired 2 pistols according to those rules. So I suppose it's just as well.

Well "gunfighter" in 6th edition seems to mean: being able to fire two pistols. MotF can still fire two plasma shots. He won't be better than other "gunfighters" but he will as good as them :)

He always could though. According to the rules for the servo-harness he can always fire 2 weps, either both servo-harness weps, or one SH and one normal wep. So in that regard he didnt gain anything.

And actually...even if he could purchase 2 plasma pistols, it would be a wash, as he couldnt fire the SH if he fired 2 pistols according to those rules. So I suppose it's just as well.

Indeed but he didn't lose anything. It's still fun to fire his two Plasma Pistols :tu:

Forboding is Divination. Bizarrely (because canonically Tigurius is supposed to have the powers of foresight) Codex Space Marines don't get Divination.

Well there is still a way to get it. Ally yourself with a Brother in arms army that have access to the power, like Blood Angels or Space Wolves, for example. If you want that power at all costs :D

I honestly over looked that, crap. Good think im taking blood angels as brothers at arms to count as my preheresy/heresy worldeater. A worldeater Librarian..lol I can see the fluff guys going nutts over that. ;)

In 5E I liked 6 men Scouts, which was enough to threaten/bind enemy backfield units or enemy skirmishers. For Sternguard 6 to 8 usually was enough. Running 7 Sternguard with scores of combi-meltas and -flamers was a scary enough sight for the enemy general.

Alex

Honestly I doubt enemy will concentrate fire on the scout when they have more pressing issues moving towards them, so 5/6 men scout unit may be ok. However if the unit is holding an objective it will become a prioritary target. Maybe a 10 men unit with camo cloaks will be very survivable. This will nearly double their cost, though.

That is not the point of close quarters scouts. They are a disruption unit. They can interdict enemy movement (placing c-melta/melta bomb scouts into the path of important vehicles) or they can threaten to come in from reserves and entangle enemy backfield units (Devastators, Long Fangs, Burnas, etc.). 7 can get that job done, but 6 is enough to be a threat in combat.

Alex

I was just asking if they could survive and do their job. ;)

Anyway the problem is scouts will be 2 of the only 4 available scoring units to my army. That's why I thought about placing them on an objective.

We usually get D3+2 objectives but there is a mission with 6 of them. Sometimes scoring units have to stay on objectives.

I recognize the usefulness of scouts in the role you mentioned but I don't have a lot of scoring units in this type of army. :tu:

EDIT:

In the "prototype list" I made I reached about 1700 with

Kantor

2 Scout squads

2x8 Sternguard squads

1x10 Tactical Terminators

2x Stormtalons

I have to include transports for sternguard.

I planned to add Raven Wing allies but I'm running out of points. 10 TDA require a lot of points.

What do you suggest to add or change?

This is almost exactly the base core of my minus kantor/sternguard. I was really looking for something in C:SM compliment this idea. currently my list was more tac squads etc. This looks really solid though.

This is almost exactly the base core of my minus kantor/sternguard. I was really looking for something in C:SM compliment this idea. currently my list was more tac squads etc. This looks really solid though.

In the "operative" version of the list, the link is in my signature :) , I included a Librarian.

However there is a growing number of players who field Eldar allies with the sole puroose of making psychic powers unusable. I suppose I'll have to adjust my list and using those 190pts for something else...

I was just asking if they could survive and do their job. ;)

Anyway the problem is scouts will be 2 of the only 4 available scoring units to my army. That's why I thought about placing them on an objective.

We usually get D3+2 objectives but there is a mission with 6 of them. Sometimes scoring units have to stay on objectives.

I recognize the usefulness of scouts in the role you mentioned but I don't have a lot of scoring units in this type of army. :lol:

EDIT:

In the "prototype list" I made I reached about 1700 with

Kantor

2 Scout squads

2x8 Sternguard squads

1x10 Tactical Terminators

2x Stormtalons

I have to include transports for sternguard.

I planned to add Raven Wing allies but I'm running out of points. 10 TDA require a lot of points.

What do you suggest to add or change?

I suggest you take

1x6 Sternguard and

1x10 Sternguard and combat squad them.

Then you don't need a third scout squad and can spend the points on stuff like Predators instead.

Alex

Archived