Footslogging Veterans and Drop Pods?

Magnus Thane

Hopefully i'm posting this in the right section but can an army that focusses on footslogging Veterans and regular marines work? Supported by Devastators and Dreads?

More specifically Dark Angels.

Also how good/effective is Drop Podding? I'm trying to steer away from my previous styles of Marine armies focussed on Termies with Landraiders and Rhino Rush forces.

Full Drop Pod army to be considered or over the top?

Understandable change in tactics now that 6th Ed has rendered rhinos to heaping piles of doodoo! The problem with footslogging is that the new rules are going to force you to eat alot of gunfire on your way across the board! As a BT player I'm planning on adding a second LRC and some drop pods to my crusade and probably turning my rhinos into burnt out terrain pieces! As far as DA is concerned, my question to you would be why not Ravenwing and Deathwing?

Rhino's are useless? Oo;

Well i haven't read the new rules yet waiting for the starterset.

And why? Because well... I already have had termie heavy forces in the past.

I'll probably add a bit of Ravenwing. But I'd like to focus on nice looking veterans.

Just because that sort of unit and the basic marines have always been underused by me.

That and well... Dark Angel robes look impressive :)

So you'd advocate a mix of drop pods and LR's?

Perhaps keep a few units on foot?

I actually modeled my Angels of Absolution to be a fleet based company, so I have 6 drop pods at my disposal in addition to Deathwing and Ravenwing forces alongside. I love the play style, in fact, all deep strike is something that I've done since I tried it out with my guard back in the drop troop regiment days... *nostalgia* =)

Two words of warning though: Deep striking the entire army does not a friendly game make; and once you start doing it, it'll be very hard to switch back to footslogging. Maybe it's just me, but deep striking the entire army is just too much fun.

Rhinos are not considered assault vehicles, which basically means the turn that you embark from one, that's it, you aren't allowed to do anything else with that unit that turn. No moves, no assault, just stand there and get shot! My only idea for Rhinos would be to deploy your units behind them from the beginning of the game and use them as mobile cover for as long as they last, which won't be very long considering 3 hull points that are taken away by penetrating and GLANCING hits.

One suggestion for you though. Rumor has it that DA are going to be in the boxed game ( along with Chaos, MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!!!) and they should be getting a new dex around the same time. So before you get too crazy with building a viable force you might want to hold out for your new rules. Gods know, I have a whole shelf full of retired models ( anyone remember Snotzoggas and Slann Priests on pallanqins?)

I dont think it's possible to deep strike an entire army now, as only 50% of a force may be held in reserve.

Units which must start in reserve don't count towards the limit. So things like all Drop Pods will still be fine. This also extends to the unit deployed within them. See this thread for clarification.

Units which must start in reserve don't count towards the limit. So things like all Drop Pods will still be fine. This also extends to the unit deployed within them. See this thread for clarification.
That's true, but 50% of the rest of your force must start on the table. If you give literally everything Drop Pods then that'd work but even 'porting Termies don't have to start in reserve, so may have to start on-board.

That's true, but 50% of the rest of your force must start on the table. If you give literally everything Drop Pods then that'd work but even 'porting Termies don't have to start in reserve, so may have to start on-board.

Well if your entire army is Drop Pods then it does work. Of course if you used Terminators and the like in reserve then it won't work.

Take 3 Scout Bikers with a Locator Beacon. Job's a good 'un and you get to pod in without error

Well if your entire army is Drop Pods then it does work. Of course if you used Terminators and the like in reserve then it won't work.
That is exactly what I said....

Take 3 Scout Bikers with a Locator Beacon. Job's a good 'un and you get to pod in without error
That's not a terrible plan, as long as you want all your pods to come down in the same general area -_-

Rhinos are not considered assault vehicles, which basically means the turn that you embark from one, that's it, you aren't allowed to do anything else with that unit that turn. No moves, no assault, just stand there and get shot! My only idea for Rhinos would be to deploy your units behind them from the beginning of the game and use them as mobile cover for as long as they last, which won't be very long considering 3 hull points that are taken away by penetrating and GLANCING hits.

One suggestion for you though. Rumor has it that DA are going to be in the boxed game ( along with Chaos, MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!!!) and they should be getting a new dex around the same time. So before you get too crazy with building a viable force you might want to hold out for your new rules. Gods know, I have a whole shelf full of retired models ( anyone remember Snotzoggas and Slann Priests on pallanqins?)

Thats not true- you disembark 6", wich is basicly a full move. And you can shoot.

That's not a terrible plan, as long as you want all your pods to come down in the same general area :)

Well, the first wave of pods, anyway. And it's not like you *have* to use it for all of them.

My bad, sorry there Viperion. Although it was very late and I was quite sleepy, I missed that bit about the Drop Pods working in your sentence. :sweat:

My bad, sorry there Viperion. Although it was very late and I was quite sleepy, I missed that bit about the Drop Pods working in your sentence. :sweat:
No problems :D

Archived