Reparation (HEAVY SPOILERS!)

Phoebus

Anyone else get a chance to read this? Decent story all in all, though the twist was perhaps a little predictable. Though, to be fair, that there would be a twist was more predictable than the twist itself.

I found myself kind of surprised at the fact that...

... the need for the Dark Angels to account for all their Fallen would be such that they would sacrifice an Interrogator Chaplain to the arenas of the Dark Eldar. Aside from finding out the individual in question was there to begin with, the odds of getting their man next to the Fallen had to be low to say the least!

Thoughts?

It was a single Interrogator-Chaplain against the possible deaths of several prized brothers of the Deathwing. Not a cheap sacrifice by any means, but it prevented the worst loss. Of course, we don't know the full background of the story in question; perhaps at the time that course of action was deemed the best. And apparently it was a good call. :)

It was a single Interrogator-Chaplain against the possible deaths of several prized brothers of the Deathwing. Not a cheap sacrifice by any means, but it prevented the worst loss. Of course, we don't know the full background of the story in question; perhaps at the time that course of action was deemed the best. And apparently it was a good call. :)

True!

Did you enjoy the story?

To be honest, after that 1000 word short about a certain other prized target, I was a bit apprehensive that I'd read a story about the DAs in the role of apparent "bad guys" with the Fallen being the "savior of the masses". Between the "easier" theme and the lack of certainty as to which of them was the "bad guy" up until the end, I have to say I enjoyed the short story.

Ditto. I just wanted to read a story where the Dark Angel character doesn't come off as a jerk seemingly just because that's what's expected of the fluff.

And, yeah, I didn't exactly enjoy that other short story either.

Haven't read the story but in my view and my understanding of DAs

getting a fallen justifies virtually any kind of sacrifice - within the Chapter or out of it. Letting regiments of the IG die for example is not without cost or sacrifice of integrity for the DAs, it's just subordinate consideration compared to catching a fallen

I need to read the story though, to make more informed comments... ;)

Theres just the one -

Ecanus

One internet cookie to anybody who can tell me the significance of that name (preferably without cheating).

Well... it does sound a bit like a latinized version of the Greek word "Ικανός" which means "able". I've got no idea if the etymology is remotely correct or if it refers to a real person or a mythological entity - I would have to google it - which would qualify as cheating I beleive? :sweat:

I think it's "gibberish". Not every single latin-sounding name in fiction must have a deeper meaning y'know? ;)

On a side note, I'm slightly more interested in Ramiel's name.

See, there was a Watch Captain named Ramiel that disappeared in mysterious circumstances in the Deathwatch-verse. And the character in question reminisced on the Deathwatch... Which in turn would also grant him the knowledge to mimic a Space Wolf, if not the acting skills. Perhaps they're one and the same?

This was a great story. It shows how serious the Dark Angels are about getting their man.

I wouldn't count out Ramiel. He may have something up his sleave. :D Sequel. Now. Please

Theres just the one -

Ecanus

One internet cookie to anybody who can tell me the significance of that name (preferably without cheating).

You mean the enochian (or whatever its spelled) angels from the English church? The angel of writers if i am not mistaken.

EDIT:

See, there was a Watch Captain named Ramiel that disappeared in mysterious circumstances in the Deathwatch-verse. And the character in question reminisced on the Deathwatch... Which in turn would also grant him the knowledge to mimic a Space Wolf, if not the acting skills. Perhaps they're one and the same?

I think he is the angel of empathy if i am not mistaken

Long time since i looked at the texts.

So, this Ecanus.... any mention of gear / weapons / armour? Corrupted? Any certain God he worships? Was he captured and/or did he die? Any specific accomplishments during his life? Was he known by any other names?

Theres just the one -

Ecanus

You mean the enochian (or whatever its spelled) angels from the English church? The angel of writers if i am not mistaken.

Spot on. One internet cookie for you sir.

http://freeinternetcookies.com/cookie/cookie.jpg

EDIT:

I think he is the angel of empathy if i am not mistaken

Long time since i looked at the texts.

Close he's the

Angel of Hope

. Starting work on my Command Squad prompted me to bone up on the angelic heirarchies and names so its a little fresher in my memory. Not bad for working from distant memory though Brother Immolator. Nicely done.

So, this Ecanus.... any mention of gear / weapons / armour? Corrupted? Any certain God he worships? Was he captured and/or did he die? Any specific accomplishments during his life? Was he known by any other names?

In the story the DE have taken all of their wargear, forcing them to fight all their matches with DE weapons (We see Ramiel/Thorolf stoop to using what sounds like a Tau honour blade in one fight and a sawtooth blade in the rest, and Ecanus is only ever mentioned using an impaler/trident). Ecanus doesn't appear to be corrupted or worship any particular God, but his reaction to Ramiel's true identity reveals that he is most definitely a Traitor.

So not really a wealth of info on Ecanus, but thats all we're really given.

Read the story and liked it! B)

This matches with my understanding of the DAs.

No loose ends. If going to DE land to catch the Fallen is what it takes then so be it. Int. Chaplains are secret agents with a mission first and foremost and ultimately expendable! Catching a Fallen is well worth the life of a Chaplain - and porbably more!

Good enjoyable reading...

Close he's the

Angel of Hope

. Starting work on my Command Squad prompted me to bone up on the angelic heirarchies and names so its a little fresher in my memory. Not bad for working from distant memory though Brother Immolator. Nicely done.

Heh,need sometime to refresh my religious studies, with so many books for each sect and and faith go figure, i failed my mishap rolls! LOL.

Thanks for the cookie! Any pics of said command squad?

EDIT: Dug into some stuff to verify.

Apparently there are two if we add Maddoc's three... well and a forth one: Ramiel and Rhamiel...Depending on the prism you are looking at: Angel of Hope, Empathy and Thunder.

On his last incarnation he is considered sometimes to be both a fallen angel and sometimes a loyal angel. He is said to be the a judge of those who die.

Some religious branches who believe that angels are male or female she is depicted as an angel of joy.

How did Ecanus die, or was he captured and taken to the Rock?

Died in the arena by the hand of Int. Chaplain Ramiel. Ramiel drove an impaler into Ecanus primary and secondary hearts. "Let the blood of the unclean act as an offering to the Lion's shade". Air-punching moment if there ever was one!

The Book of Salvation has been updated. Thank you brother. Please remain vigilant for any further Fallen brethren so that their redemption may be recorded.

Heh,need sometime to refresh my religious studies, with so many books for each sect and and faith go figure, i failed my mishap rolls! LOL.

:D Those pesky dice.

Thanks for the cookie! Any pics of said command squad?

There are indeed. Some WIP shots can be found here.

---------------

EDIT: Dug into some stuff to verify.

Apparently there are two if we add Maddoc's three... well and a forth one: Ramiel and Rhamiel...Depending on the prism you are looking at: Angel of Hope, Empathy and Thunder.

Interesting.

I was under the impression that Ramiel and Rhamiel were distinct entities.

^_^

On his last incarnation he is considered sometimes to be both a fallen angel and sometimes a loyal angel.

I thought

its fallen association was a case of confusion between it and Azazel/Rameel. But I suppose they are both listed amongst the 20 leaders of the fallen in the Book of Watchers...

He is said to be the a judge of those who die.

Thats quite poignant given Ramiel's role in the story as

Ecanus' judge, jury and executioner.

Some religious branches who believe that angels are male or female she is depicted as an angel of joy.

You've got to love all of the competing theologies... :D

Archived