GK Callidus Assassin + allied Psyker Battle Squad

L30n1d4s

A potentially powerful (and cheesy) combo:

A GK army takes a Psyker Battle Squad as part of an IG allied detachment. PBS targets enemy unit with weaken resolve and drops it down to at least Ld 6. The same turn, Callidus Assassin comes out of reserve and DS right next to targeted enemy unit (no scatter due to Callidus Polymorphine rule) and hits the unit with her Neural Shredder template.

-All models touched are auto-hit because of Template rules

-All models wounded on a 2+, since to wound is based on template strength of 8 vs target's Leadership

-No armor saves (AP 1) or cover saves (Template), so target only gets Invul saves, if it has them.

If done correctly, a critical unit could be decimated (or even wiped out) in a single turn by this attack combo.

They do get an abhor the witch roll against your psykers, and you do need to get the psykers there

Beside, if I'm remembering correctly, attack vs Ld are usually resolved against the unmodified Ld value, uless a special rules says the contrary (Ork mobs, for example considered the augmented LD value for the purpose of Callidus assassin, at least in the previous FAQ)....

Reading the rule it may works with psyker battle squad too but several players will argue with you stating you still have to resolve the attack to the unmodified LD.

Anyway the get a change to nullify the power and Battle Psyker LD is not very high so casting the power is not the nearly guaranteed success of LD 10 psyker (not to mention the effects of a peril of the warp)

Then as mentioned in the quote above you have to bring them in range.

Seriously with all the firepower of GK you can achieve the same result (destroying the enemy unit) throughout more "conventional ways" ^_^

I don't mean to be harsh, but...I find this pairing to be both predictable and fragile. Best case they crush a single squad and get annhilated in turn; worst case only the latter happens.

The Callidus - even with two casts of Psychic Communion - will be hard to coordinate with a specific unit. I still feel (like last ed.) that her best application is as a late-as-possible game gambit. She pops in and either reinforces a unit in trouble or she picks off like the last two models in a Dev squad or something. Remember she can't assault the turn she lands anymore, so whatever else she drops in to help should charge if it can...both to take advantage of her initial hit as well as protect her.

Psyker Battle Squads both have low leadership (for testing and panic) and on a Perils they all die - every model. That unit is a serious risk. They can't wait on the Callidus: if they get an opportunity to strike, they need to do so. Since they're so fragile, keep them cheap.

Archived