Precision shots and Plasma Pistols

Drudge Dreadnought

Precision shots give sergeants and other characters a definite possibility of allocating wounds to specific foes, like other characters or special weapons. In the past, plasma pistols have not been considered worth their points cost on sergeants. But with this new rule, do you all think they might be worth using now? Especially with power weapons generally being less potent, AP 2 weaponry just got a lot more necessary. Precision shots and overwatch both give greater use of ranged weapons. Is that plasma pistol worth it now? Will we finally see use of the oh so fluffy but historically inefficient combo of power weapon + plasma pistol?

Combi weapons were certainly useful before, and now are more useful along with all shooting. But one of the main points of them before was that, in most games, tactical squads would only ever fire once at close range before dying or getting bogged down in CC. Now that you're likely to fire closer to 3 times (once at 24", once at rapid fire, and then an overwatch or two) the combi weapon is devalued. The plasma is pretty much strictly better than the melta due to rapidfire and less need of heavy anti tank, and the flamer suffers from lack of snap shooting/overwatch. And the plasma pistol still has the advantage of +1 CC attack, or can be doubled with a boltpistol and Gunslinger by a fair few units (but i'm not sure if tac sergeants can do that, I don't remember if they have to swap their bolt pistol for the plasma pistol.)

This makes my DIY chapter very happy. They're all about the light/sun/fire based weaponry, and my Sarges had PW/PlasPistol already :)

So I guess I'd like the OP to be right :(

For WG this is a good choice. Wolf Guard can wield two plasma pistols. With the gunslinger rule we can shoot once for each. Still not very likely but can increase the chance of a precision shot.

Combi-Flamers can fire on Overwatch.

Having said that, I will be equipping a lot of my Sergeants with Plasma Pistols and Power Swords now, and it just so happens that I've just finished building a pair of Inquisitors with Plasma Pistols and Force Swords. Yayyy!

Having said that, I will be equipping a lot of my Sergeants with Plasma Pistols and Power Swords now, and it just so happens that I've just finished building a pair of Inquisitors with Plasma Pistols and Force Swords. Yayyy!

The bolter part can fire, but template weapons cannot be snap-shotted, and overwatch = snap shots.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the part allowing them to.

Flamers can overwatch, but not snapshot. special exception. theyre actually amazing at overwatch as you get d3 auto hits.

Plas pistols are ok, but keep in mind you're still not likely to inta-gib a multiwound character. Even precision shots can get reassigned on a 2+ for an IC and 4+ for a sergeant

The bolter part can fire, but template weapons cannot be snap-shotted, and overwatch = snap shots.

Template weapons, although not allowed to snap-shot, ARE allowed to fire on Overwatch, inflicting D3 automatic hits, as per Wall of Death rule, BRB, page 52.

I for one am going to be switching back to PP/PW (probably swords) for my Tactical Sergeants. That extra armor-defeating hit every round is now mucho importante, especially with the additional shot you get with Overwatch...

I for one am going to be switching back to PP/PW (probably swords) for my Tactical Sergeants. That extra armor-defeating hit every round is now mucho importante, especially with the additional shot you get with Overwatch...

While I'm sticking with combi-weapons for the time being, I'm already thinking of doing this myself. Not just because of the precision hits, but because of challenges. At the moment my combi-weapon Tactical Sergeants will suck in challenges. 2 attacks at AP-? Not scary. They'll decline half of them. But with a power weapon they'll be able to contribute, while a plasma pistol will keep their shooting deadly. Of course, still not too sure if the PP is worth it, even with precision shots. I guess it's AP2 so that'd be a yes.

Archived