5th Dante

Knurd

Today my friend and I played our final 5th Edition game and I included Dante in my army like I always do. First off I have to say that my friend has not been able to kill Dante in 7 or 8 games we have played against each other. In our game Dante was able to destroy a Tactical combat squad before they even had a chance to react and almost destroy a second single handed.

I am definitely going to miss I6 Dante demolishing things before they have a chance to react. I know the AP2 ax is going to make him better against characters but I'm still going to miss him attacking almost everyone before they can react.

I am definitely going to miss I6 Dante demolishing things before they have a chance to react. I know the AP2 ax is going to make him better against characters but I'm still going to miss him attacking almost everyone before they can react.

Insein,

just for the record, this is highly contentious at the moment and there are a great deal of players that believe the Axe is actually AP3.

Check out the thread on Dante and his axe.

I've played two games of 6th with Dante, and used the "axe is I1 AP2" in one game, and "I6 AP3" in the other. He still works well either way, was giving the chaos player an aneurysm by picking off power fists, then running into combat with CSM squads, murdering them, then bouncing away again before the defilers got too close. Don't get him in combat with anything with a 2+ save...you can reliably throw him solo into MEQ units, and if there's a fist then issue a challenge. He'll batter the fist on his own, and can spend the subsequent turn killing the rank and file, or if the fist refuses, can just skip straight to battering normal models.

Best way to circumvent the axe issue is to have a discussion with your opponent BEFORE the game starts. He's playable either way, but how you use him is going to be slightly different. As long as you know beforehand, you can work around the issue before it becomes one. Nobody takes him for the axe anyway, you take him for scoring Sanguinary Guard, a pair (or more) of infernus pistols that turn up wherever they damn well please, and oogy-boogying the enemy warlord.

I played a doubles game today (2nd game) with Dante and two sanguinary guards for 750 point each (1500 per side) game.

Dante was challenged by a necron warlord who had been nerfed by Dante's Death Mask. Dante crushed him like the insufferable insect he was (I1 AP2) as the rest of the squad slaughtered the necron warriors the warlord was with and took the objective. This was after they had slagged an imperial guard tank (the one with a big scary plasma cannon) with 3 penetrating shots.

Dante and Sanguinary Guard with power axes are nasty. That's all I'm saying.

As I said, either is fairly nasty, but you've got to change what you throw him at. Keep him away from terminators regardless, and fists if you're playing him as I1 AP2. Other than that, he can tank pretty much anything he wants

It really depends on what terminators you're hitting. Fist and hammernators yeah, play keep away. Lightning claw 'nators? Hahaha! Time to own.

In the first game I played (doubles 1500 each, 3000 total) A sanguinary guard unit with 2 axes and a fist turned 5 lightning claw 'nators into mush. It took two turns but they were beaten.

Insein,

just for the record, this is highly contentious at the moment and there are a great deal of players that believe the Axe is actually AP3.

Check out the thread on Dante and his axe.

Oh I definitely understand that the debate is still raging about what his ax's profile. What I meant was that either way Dante will not be the same. In this game it was the last time Dante was cutting through everything AND hitting before anybody else had a chance. Dante will still be a beast in combat either way but he just won't be the same Dante. We will adapt to the new Dante whatever the final word on his weapon is.

Archived