6th edition Missions and Deployment

Captain Idaho

I think it's about time we discussed the most important element of list design and fundamental factors in playing 40K; Missions and Deployment.

Like it or not, these missions have really shaken up competetive 40K, since many missions have very different implications to unit usage and purposes. A Long Fang gunline with several Grey Hunters in Razorbacks designed to stand and shoot opponents off the board will struggle to get into an opposing deployment zone and reach all those different valued objectives or that relic you snatched, as an example.

We also need to consider the new rules affecting how we approach these missions, how do we reach the objectives, what's the most mobile obtion available, how many Scoring Units do I need in the missions when some allow for other Force Organisation selections to be Scoring whilst others are strictly Troops choices etc.

It's a tough new game but fortunately we're all starting out at the same time. Let's try and get a head start! ;)

I'm at work now so will provide more information on my thoughts right now, but for suffice I will confirm I feel transports are still important as are 3 Scoring Troops choices in a Space Marine army.

I also feel like going second will be best for most games since that gives us the chance for last minute Turbo Boosts and flat out moves and denies them of opponents. In particular, Bikes can move really fast, so ringing objectives with bodies to prevent them getting within 3" is crucial!

Remember that vehicles can no longer deny objectives, so we need to be able to move our infantry, bikes etc onto them.

I've only played one game though, but I'm disappointed to see Spearhead go, especially as my club uses 4x4s so 2 of the 3 deployment types are pretty much the same.

Mysterious objectives also seem a bit, unfair at times. Although it can be a way to get Skyfire into our armies! :sweat:

Also, the secondary objectives seem to favour the person who goes first, as they're more likely to kill the first unit and possible get into the deployment zone. Mobile armies are also favoured, while HQ beatsticks are favoured from this as well. Maybe it's to balance out against armies that go second or sit and shoot?

I can't really say much more, I basically played Pitched Battle one objective each yesterday which is basically 5th Ed. In a couple of weeks I'll be able to provide better input.

If both players are using fliers, it seems extra important to have the second turn. Assuming that both fliers enter on the second turn, the player going last will be able to intercept and destroy the other as soon as it arrives while staying immune itself while in reserves.

This of course can change with the meta and any new additions of skyfire units

Agreed.

I feel victory is essentially governed by how we deal with the mission and deployment types in 40K. Most people play "Line up and kill" - Hammer and I don't rate this as the best way to play, because it is entirely governed by paper-rock-scissors with other lists and the different missions we can play really put a spanner in the works for some lists.

Personally, I'm thinking at 1500pts of taking 20 Tactical Marines as default, but am tempted for a third squad on foot to add weight to the army, especially in light of all the other footsloggers out there. What do people think here?

Well I take 20 Tactical Marines by default even at 1750pts, so I hope you weren't hoping for a "yes" from me. ^_^

As I see it, as long as you have a healthy amount of denial units you can still get by my hold one, contest the rest. The issue is that there are less denial units now, so you need more guys on foot, which may equate to more Tactical Marines.

I think it's going to be the same old: "take as many that you feel comfortable with in relation to objectives/killing power". Tactical Marines also got slightly better with changes to rapid fire rules, snap fire, and the overwatch ability. Challenges as well may have helped them out a little if you give the Sergeant a power sword, so they may become more of a mainstay than before.

I played the pitched battle with six objectives each or something like that, each one was mysterious and counted for an unknown amount.

We only got sabotage for two objectives, nothing for 3 objectives and shatter field for the last objective

I play a fluffy army so all tacs, and my lord they have never performed so well, sure I was playing crons but I had so many shots a turn that I was killing 5 or 6, a two squads failed Ld tests and ran to leave there buddies, assault squads actually did well against the smaller units of tomb blades, and Razorbacks helped me to push up through.

Sadly I lost because in the first turn, Obyron veiled into my deployment netting him a VP then in turn two, him and Lych guard killed Warlord captain in with Mindshakle scarabs, netting him another two VP, he also had seven VP from objectives were we only had 3.

Fliers do really well, not being deployed makes hard for enemy to plan for, second turn I minced a full squad of destroyers with one shooting face, managed to avoid all the gauss, ran of field and then swoop back on to clear of a far side Warrior objective holder unit.

In the end I lost because of the secondary objectives and the mission rule that fast attack were scoring which meant one lone Tomb Blade was able to zip onto an open objective and won by one point, bloody Obyron also munted my plans.

Necrons have a lot of nasty tricks for getting side objectives, veil and some really powerful CC elites, sure a Hammernator squad would handle them but you don't run your expensive ap3 weapons into termies.

As a deny option I was considering ravenwing ( HQ en few bikes) as an ally option. Fast bikes, counting as troops.

I still have to read into this as I am not sure if they get skilled rider, and what that jetbike the HQ guy has actualy does.

That said I have to admit I never looked into bikes at all, so I really still have to look into white scar as an option, or just having a command squad on bikes.

The point I am trying to make is that with allies more troops options lie open to us apart from scouts and tacticals. Some are really worth considering.

I do get the impression that regular tacticals are just a fraction better then they used to be in 5th though.

I can see the debate on MM ABs vs MM/HF Speeders swinging more towards MM ABs with the new rules for objective denial. Which is a shame because I really like my MM/HF Speeders, but with points last edition I couldn't field them, and now with objective denial it's unlikely I'll field them much either.

Archived