Death Masks question

Hi everyone, this is my first venture to the BA forums on this site. I have a close combat oriented DIY chapter called the Crimson Tears and though I don't game I try to model them in accordance with codex options just in case I ever decide to and I've been using the C:BA to this end. Now as I embark on converting a Tycho, using a Sanguinary Guard mask for the head, something has come up:

Only Sanguinary Guard and Dante can have death masks. Is this right? I'd have thought it would be wargear accessible to Captains, Librarians and Sanguinary Priests at the very least. Or am I being blind and not reading the codex properly?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct.

Also strange is that only Sanguinary Guard and the Vanguard Veteran sergeant can use a Glaive Encarmine. A VV Sergeant is the only model in the entire codex that can use the combination of a Glaive Encarmine and a Storm Shield.

Dante has a permanent death mask which nerfs an opponent HQ with -1 to wound, initiative, attack and weapon skill. The Sanguinary Guard have the option of being upgraded to use death masks for 25 points but doesn't nerf an opponent HQ, only following regular death mask rules.

That is all.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Seems unnecessarily restrictive, but I guess thpose are the rules.

Benation - It's not that I want Tycho to have a Death Mask, I just know that the character does have a mask of sorts (covering up a wound if I recall?) with no wargear benefits that I wanted to represent on my version. Then there's the fact that my GS ability is non-existent and I really don't like unhelmeted marines, so even if I could scuplt half a mask (which I can't) I wouldn't. A Sanguinary Guard helmet/death mask seems

like the best solution.

Archived