defilers and dreads

jerryrich

OK, as im in as heck and cant seem to get the durned FAQ to download, can anyone sum up what happened t omy 2 favorite units in our book. I understand that our Dreads now have 3 hull points, what about the defilers? how will the other new rules affect how they play?

Dreads have 3, Defilers have 4. Combat units with grenades are an issue, particularly if you lose a few hull points on the way into combat, but krak grenades aren't quite as terrible as one might fear (3 or 4 to hit, 6 to glance). In general, they're somewhat more vulnerable than they used to be, but at least have an easier time picking up cover than before. I'd focus on fire support rather than melee with them, but that's just first impressions, not experience talking, as I haven't run them yet in the new edition (and probably won't until our new book is out).

In the FAQ specifically, all that was done to either of those was to clarify how the Dread's Blood Rage works with the new movement and charge rules. It basically got a little more confusing, and it'll require premeasuring, but you have to charge if in range, otherwise you run, and since Fleet works different now, you can't fleet and still charge.

So, no biggie with our walkers in the FAQ.

As far as how the new rules as a whole are affecting them, I think things have gotten nicer. Hull Points can make vehicles soft with a mass of fire coming at them, but I'm not sure it's much different than 5th. The good part of Hull Points is that glancing can never stop you from acting. So, those Dreads don't get glanced turn one for an immobilize result, and sit as crazy husks rolling Blood Rage the rest of the game. If your opponent wants to take out your walkers now, they really have to focus on it.

Vehicles got more shooty with Snap Shot rules. I can finally fire my Defiler's Battle Cannon, and Snap Shot his Reaper AC in the same turn (after moving even). My second Defiler has a H. Flamer that he can Overwatch with, as well ... so nice. Dreads don't really need to take advantage of Snap Fire, since they can still shoot everything anyway, but Overwatching with them can be nice (another good place for a H. Flamer).

The one 'nerf', if you will, to Walkers specifically is that they can be hit in the rear armor in cc when Immobilized, but that's not a huge deal. If something's in cc attacking it that can do damage, it was likely to go down anyway.

I think our walkers made out pretty well overall.

Thanks for the rundown guys, ill be back home soon and will have to get me some copies of the new rule book and the chaos faq. strange thing is i dont think ihave to change my list much! had a walker heavy foot slogger army! and from what ive read foot sloggers got better!

Archived