Fenris-style bases

Hey there. In these pics you can see a few examples of the bases I've been making for my whole space wolves army. The idea was to base them on rocky, icy terrain akin to what you might find on Fenris.

Given the volcanic activity in Fenris, I thought it might be cool to paint all the rock as a glossy volcanic glass (black, purple highlights, gloss varnish -???). The other thought I've had is just to paint the entirety as snowdrifts and chunks of ice/glacier (white, blue wash, white highlights). whether I went with Ice cubes or obsidian, the plan was to paint over the actual snow with the citadel snow texture (and drybrush white) and then glue snow flock over the top.

Anyway, take a look at the pics... what do you think I could do. Some of the bases are mostly cork and slate modeling ballast, while some are mostly green stuffed snowdrifts. So there's a fair bit of variation in terms of their composition. Thus, I want to try and bring it all together with a consistent colour scheme.

I'm not actually sure what the ballast is supposed to represent. I'm thinking it could either be crushed ice or a volcanic glass. But I'm not 100% sure what it would look better as!!!

Cheers!

DSCF5800.JPG

DSCF5801.JPG

DSCF5802.JPG

If the cork is supposed to be rock, you might fill in some over some of those rough spots with greenstuff. I've tried a few snow bases here and there, and I think the baking soda method works really well. It's about equal parts baking soda and white glue and then a few drops of water to make it easier to spread. Use an old brush or a toothpick to put it on the base where you need it to go and then sprinkle more baking soda on top of it.

Let the glue cure for about 20-30 minutes, then lightly blow off the excess.

Crazy space-glass it is!

So, here's a test batch I did. Clearly I haven't yet done the snow - I want to get the rock just right first. As Kage said, the rock could be a little smoother (it's pretty much just one of the 40mm bases - the other one looks OK, I think).

What do you think of the colour (unfortunately, the photos don't communicate it perfectly though)? Also, I was thinking of using Woodland Scenics water effects to add a smooth layer over the top of the rock to make it more glassy (and then following this up with 'ardcoat for a glossy look). Has anyone used this product? Could you model sharp edges with it?

Lastly, I'm going with baby blue space wolves.. I'm wondering how well this purple colour will work with space wolves. Do you think it would be worthwhile to tones of the space wolves hues into the colour used for the shadows in the snow? I'm thinking that this will allow the colours to cohere a little better.

DSCF5806.JPG

DSCF5808.JPG

Glazes of purples, greens and browns, even some yellows but not too bright will add a huge amount of depth to your bases and are very easy to do, after all when you look at rocks they aren't just grey. When the snow is added I think they will look top notch with a few varied colours around the base, things that catch the eye are always welcome on a model.

Would you recommend just using a wash or is a glaze specifically required here? I'd been thinking about adding some subtle yellow or brown tones to it. I've got a few old pots of flesh wash, I wonder how that would go?

If a glaze in particular is required, is there something I can add to a regular paint or a wash in order to get the right consistency?

I have..

Acrylic flow release

PVA

dishwashing liquid.

Tap water :P

For the glaze, would mixing a little colour into some 'ardcoat work? That way I smooth the rock a tad, add some depth, and a little bit of colour too.

I'm also eyeing up india ink. Apparently it has a sheen to it that could work quite well for rocks. Or will it just obscure everything?

Would you recommend just using a wash or is a glaze specifically required here? I'd been thinking about adding some subtle yellow or brown tones to it. I've got a few old pots of flesh wash, I wonder how that would go?

If a glaze in particular is required, is there something I can add to a regular paint or a wash in order to get the right consistency?

I have..

Acrylic flow release

PVA

dishwashing liquid.

Tap water :P

A glaze is pretty much paint just really thinned down, imagine the old GW washes consistency so stay away from mixing with ard coat, the finish shouldn't be shiney despite being called a glaze (not sure why its called that too I just roll with it)

What I would use is GW's Thraka green wash, leviathan purple, gryphone sepia and devlan mud thinned a little with water. Once is on your pallet get some on your brush and soak most of it off with some kitchen roll or tissue then just brush into the depths for purples, flat surfaces for greens and yellows, anything else bits of devlan mud. After this repeat the last 2 steps of however you did your rock colours, light dry brushes of light greys/white.

Washes could also work but only with devlan mud or a similar browny colour.

Try anything really mate and get back to us!

Ah, spot painting the glaze. That makes sense.

I've just made a bunch so far, and have bought some water effects and painted over the first layer to get it more glassy-looking. Now I'll do some more glazes and do a final hardcoat. Will post up pics in a bit.

Cheers!

Ugh, I'm having serious difficulty getting the Woodland Scenics water effects to cure the whole way through. There are still white splotches on some bases, and it's been over 3 days!

I tried a thin sepia wash over those of the bases that HAD cured, but now they've gone white in places again and refuse to cure. This is in spite of my putting them next to a dehumidifier for 8 hours overnight...

Archived