Deprecators!

Ammonius

The Deprecators are my DIY Chaos Space Marine warband, and with the +++E Tenebrae Lux+++ challenge, I'm finally building a squad of them.

Here the squad is, half-way though assembly. Note my use of best manufacturing practices for kitting and parts organization :D

gallery_60727_7283_78119.jpg

And here is a shot of the squad after assembly is finished:

gallery_60727_7283_483187.jpg

Then, I spent a couple of days deciding how to fit the Oppressor tracks (bought from Machinator) on the Rhino:

gallery_60727_7283_33221.jpg

And with the rhino assembled, the pre-paint picture of my squad for the vow looks like:

gallery_60727_7283_34890.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Well, as you've got nearly 200 views and not a single comment, I'll step in and say that your Chaos Space Marines look quite good (nice bases and poses, from what I can see) and I hope that we'll see some paint soon! ;)

Cheers,

Ludovic

Thanks guys:) I owe a lot to the inspiring works of Brother Melice, Q0rbin, Overdrive, 1000heathens, and others!

@A Kvlt Ghost:

For the majority of the body, I plan on doing a mid to dark grey using Vallejo German Grey, German Fieldgrey, and Citadel Skavenblight Dinge. The helmets will be painted Bone/White, and this squad will have a dark/ burnt orange leg plate as a squad marker. The Pre-Codex/Pre-6th plan is/was to make 4 squads, each marked by one orange plate so that I can keep track of them in big melees etc as shown (This First Squad is the one on the leftmost - with an orange left leg plate):

gallery_60727_7283_88304.png

I think that my base grey has become a little lighter with greenish tones since I did these painter pics, but you get the idea.

Now that 6th has come out, I still think I'm going to make the 4 squads, but I need to come up with what Deprecator elites look like (White plates?) because I want to make some Terminators, and because I have high hopes for Chosen (or whatever replaces them).

At any rate, I'm excited to get a recipie for "Deprecator Grey" worked out, and get these guys on the table!

A very nice mix of parts and kits for your Marines, I like them a lot.

How hard was it to make those treads fit the Rhino? I got some of those, too, recently, but haven't even started to figure out how I will make them fit, so any first-hand experience would be welcome ^^

Putting the treads on was a "I need to think this all the way thought before starting" level of difficult.

This size Oppressor treads were really designed to go onto a Chimera, so they are slightly wider than normal Rhino treads, and have a double row of tabs on the outside, rather than the off center row inside that Rhino treads have, which gives the treads some lateral range of motion. You have to keep an eye on this, or you may get some funky S-curves in your tracks.

Also, the length per link is different, so you have to go by the length of the section you need, not the number of links, and allow for that at the front and back. What I did was just glue single Oppresor links to the multi-link pieces as needed to get the same appoximate length as the Rhino track pieces.

Because the Oppressor tracks are wider than standard Rhino tracks, you have to shave the link section(s) that go into the housing at the beginning and end of the tread. I only had to shave off some rivets and a little bit of the curvature of the side of the track, so unless you'relooking for it, it's hardly noticeable. However, if you are up for it, you could probably widen the track housing for more mechanical accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Wow these look great! Really pirate-y, like a proper warband. I actually also really like the proposed colour scheme; simple, no-nonsense, and the spot-colour is good. I guess that's Q0rbin's inspiration?

Is there any story for these guys a la allegiance etc?

Painting Update!

First, I started with a minor primer disaster. It's officially a bad idea to prime in 100° F (37° C) weather. The primer caked up like black snow, and I had to use a toothbrush to get as much off as possible. Luckily, there are only a few remaining gritty patches, so I'm going to try and make it work for me.

So, I have the squad started, and it's time to get the small brushes out, but before I do, I thought I'd post a couple of pics to show how the colors are going to go together:

gallery_60727_7283_17017.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_41134.jpg

@GooseDaMoose:

All of the folks whose work I listed as inspirational contribute to the "dirty, dangerous, and well-equipped" theme I'm pursuing, and yes, I'm working up a background for the Deprecators ;)

Wow these look great! Really pirate-y, like a proper warband.

This thread has thus gathered my interest. :cuss

Joking aside, these guys do look good although I do have to question why the colour scheme is grey with an orange body part? You paint it well (or it looks like a good beginning despite your Deep Prime mishap), but... it just seems odd.

Joking aside, these guys do look good although I do have to question why the colour scheme is grey with an orange body part? You paint it well (or it looks like a good beginning despite your Deep Prime mishap), but... it just seems odd.

Part of the Deprecator's background is that they were once a grand company of Iron Warriors that were sent to a backwater planetoid in the Eye to fortify it, and strip it of resources, and send the materials to the shipyards of Medrengard. Over the centuries, they lose many of the Olympian-born marines, and while they are able to maintain their numbers though various means, they lose status with the main body of Iron Warriors back on home until they say "screw it!" and expand their fleet using the materials they've harvested with the help of a group of Mechanicum Magos that have been with them, and reinvent themselves as a fleet-borne warband with a new identity.

Well, I live in the midwest USA, and one day in a gas station, I saw something like this on a rack:

gallery_60727_7283_31084.jpg

Inspiration! The dark grey color is a callback to metallic silver, and the orange is a shift from the yellow in the hazard stripes. Add to that skull white painted helmets, because I like the way it looks (my DIY chapter was always going to have have them) and that's where the color choices came from.

The single orange plate is really a squad identifier. Everyone in the First squad will have that orange left boot, both for the fluffy reason that the Deprecators are organized for Chaos Marines, and the real life reason that it will help me keep squads separate when I charge multiple 10-man squads into twisty ruins, or simply between wrecked vehicles. Also, once I get the trim painted on (Silver with washes to dull it down) and all the pouches, holsters, skulls, chains, etc painted, that the orange plate will just be another element, and not something that sticks out as much as it does in these pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived