Tycho (and some other HQs)

Joasht

Astorath is a good choice I think.

I used Dante today and he worked fine, would have been better had I not rolled a 6 for hit and run....Plus making SG troops was good.

Seth with the Strength 8 rending is nice.

Tycho looks awesome.

Which side of the Axe argument did you play with?

Don't want to drag it up just curious.

Players at my store accepted my argument of AP3 as the correct one.

I think this is the correct ruling, but I think Mezkh might be right that Dante is better off with an axe (a completely different discussion as to which is the RAW correct rule).

Here's one that nobody's considered...what about Sanguinor? In a world of challenges, that sergeant buff could be worth its weight in gold (pun sadly unintended). In addition, given that Sanguinor goes after and beats the snot out of an enemy HQ choice, 'slay the warlord' is a comparatively easy victory point, and Sanguinor himself isn't exactly easy to kill.

Can The Sanguinor (and other non-IC's) challenge?

Here's one that nobody's considered...what about Sanguinor? In a world of challenges, that sergeant buff could be worth its weight in gold (pun sadly unintended). In addition, given that Sanguinor goes after and beats the snot out of an enemy HQ choice, 'slay the warlord' is a comparatively easy victory point, and Sanguinor himself isn't exactly easy to kill.

No.

Actually, there's nothing that says he can't. Sergeants and so on are non-independent characters, and they can act in a challenge just fine. It even calls out Mephiston specifically in the "characters" section on p 63. The exact quote is "Other characters, such as Mephiston of the Blood Angels, fight as units on their own. They are either mighty, or feared enough by their own kind, that they don't take to the battlefield with other warriors. Regardless of their potency, all follow the rules for characters." The challenge rule simply says "nominate a character in one of your units locked in the combat to be a character". The only mention of Independent Character in the whole character/challenge section is a 2 line bit under the heading of Independent Character which says that that rule allows them to join units, and everywhere in the challenge section it just refers to "character" rather than "independent character".

No.

I fear you may be mistaken there James, all charachters can make and accept challenges (inc. Sgt's etc.). Mephiston is explicity mentioned in this capacity which to me strongly suggests that unless FAQ'd otherwise sanguinor, death co tycho etc. would be exactly the same for any game purposes. They are described as "special characters" afterall...

i think real attention should be given to the psychic powers avaliable, biomancy and divination have some excellent powers imo.

running librarians with epistolary upgrades or just meph and a back up caster with meph running biomancy and backup taking divination, you can get a combination of personal buffs that turn them into combat monsters (extra anything is possible, including a 4++, which can also be put on a unit) along with a heal, various damage and re rolls etc. i recon those 2 together in a list would be great.

yes your at the mercy of the dice rolling for all these powers and yes sometimes you will get shut down here and there, but if you do, you still have potent characters anyway but if they do get a few chains going, its a huge boost, on paper anyway.

No.

I fear you may be mistaken there James, all charachters can make and accept challenges (inc. Sgt's etc.). Mephiston is explicity mentioned in this capacity which to me strongly suggests that unless FAQ'd otherwise sanguinor, death co tycho etc. would be exactly the same for any game purposes. They are described as "special characters" afterall...

I might be wrong. I'm sure I'll make a lot of mistakes rules wise as we all get used to 6th. I'll look it up when I get home and have rulebook access again.

I don't recall the explicit mention of Mephiston, but if that is the case than Sanguinor almost certainly can issue challenges (and fluff wise it makes sense he could).

I was wondering if anyone has ran Captain Tycho yet? If so, how did you run him and how did he do?

I was thinking about running him with a squad of Terminators, seeing as Tycho is pretty much a suped up Terminator. Stick them in a LR, maybe buy a Spartan Assault tank since it seems to be fast. I know it would be a very expensive unit but I'm pretty sure that it can run thought anything.

Archived