Khan Lance Command Squad

Brother Xeones

With the new power weapon rules, and changes to bike toughness, debuff to mech, etc., I was wondering if anyone has considered running Kor'sarro Khan on Moondrakken with a bike command squad with at least three power lance Vets, (probably giving the fourth Vet a fist and maybe a SS or somthing).

Here's what I was thinking:

• Furious Charge grants Power lance users S6 on-the-charge.

• Hit-and-Run allows you to break off and charge again, minimizing the drop in AP after the first round of CC.

• T5 means that the bikes are safe from being Instant-deathed by anything less than S10 which in turn, means that you get your 5+ FNP against anything less than a railgun to the face. That's also after a 4+ cover save for turbo boosting. Considering Khan's psudo-forceweapon should do well as a character challenge deterrent in situations against anything without a 2+...

Seems pretty nasty --expensive, but nasty.

Thoughts?

With the new power weapon rules, and changes to bike toughness, debuff to mech, etc., I was wondering if anyone has considered running Kor'sarro Khan on Moondrakken with a bike command squad with at least three power lance Vets, (probably giving the fourth Vet a fist and maybe a SS or somthing).

Here's what I was thinking:

• Furious Charge grants Power lance users S6 on-the-charge.

• Hit-and-Run allows you to break off and charge again, minimizing the drop in AP after the first round of CC.

• T5 means that the bikes are safe from being Instant-deathed by anything less than S10 which in turn, means that you get your 5+ FNP against anything less than a railgun to the face. That's also after a 4+ cover save for turbo boosting. Considering Khan's psudo-forceweapon should do well as a character challenge deterrent in situations against anything without a 2+...

Seems pretty nasty --expensive, but nasty.

Thoughts?

Sounds neat! It actually isn't all that expensive, so long as you keep the extra gear to a dull roar. The points for the lances are manageable for a 4-man squad (Apothecary can't buy one).

Sounds neat! It actually isn't all that expensive, so long as you keep the extra gear to a dull roar. The points for the lances are manageable for a 4-man squad (Apothecary can't buy one).

Well, for Khan on Moondrakken + a bike command squad with 3 power lances, 1 PF/SS, that'll be 495points in only 6 models, and despite their impressive stats, only Khan has more than one wound...

IMO, that's still pretty expensive, though for what you are getting, it might still be worth it.

And yeah, no upgrades for the Apothecary. It's unfortunate, but he'd probably be a little too busy with his "drive-by surgeries" to bother with killing many guys himself... :lol:

I think if you take Khan, that's the way to go when you're equipping your command squad. You might want some plasma guns too ofcourse.

That said, I'm not sure if Outflank is a good idea. Has it gotten better or worse with the new edition?

Im kinda way ahead of you on this: ive already been fielding khan and a command squad. I gave my champion a lance, one guy a power fist, and took a standard bearer (so one "generic" guy). They perform outstandingly well, although i prefer not to outflank them. I outflank two squads of bikes with meltas/flamers to take care of other targets. For the points they work ebautifully.

I think if you take Khan, that's the way to go when you're equipping your command squad. You might want some plasma guns too ofcourse.

That said, I'm not sure if Outflank is a good idea. Has it gotten better or worse with the new edition?

Outflank is great for shooting units, but assault units took one between the eyes. No more assaulting from Outflank means that outflanking a melee-oriented Biker Command Squad is very situational. Some armies that can blast you off the board from Turn One might be worth outflanking, but for those who have to close the gap wth you, you'll want to stay on the board early.

To counter that, you can either load up on both melee and shooting weapons (thereby inflating their points costs quickly), or you can split the members' roles between melee and shooting. Some would get a plasmagun or meltagun, and others a melee weapon upgrade.

Outflank is great for shooting units, but assault units took one between the eyes. No more assaulting from Outflank means that outflanking a melee-oriented Biker Command Squad is very situational. Some armies that can blast you off the board from Turn One might be worth outflanking, but for those who have to close the gap wth you, you'll want to stay on the board early.

To counter that, you can either load up on both melee and shooting weapons (thereby inflating their points costs quickly), or you can split the members' roles between melee and shooting. Some would get a plasmagun or meltagun, and others a melee weapon upgrade.

The general principle that GW have implemented is that Assaulting without being shot at first is now very rare. Basically you have have to be a unit with a special rule, or in a vehicle with a special rules, to allow you to Assault without taking a round of fire.

The general principle that GW have implemented is that Assaulting without being shot at first is now very rare. Basically you have have to be a unit with a special rule, or in a vehicle with a special rules, to allow you to Assault without taking a round of fire.

And the inclusion of Overwatch makes this even more annoying. Most units that you'd charge with an outflanking bike squad would be infantry, which get Overwatch. You're not letting them shoot just once as outflanking units now, you're letting them shoot twice.

Did you not get the memo? 6th Edition is the Dakka Edition

Yes, everyone should have good dakka. Whittle down the unit to be assaulted with shooting then assault. Also, using smaller throw away units who can survive overwatch to ....

1. tie up the target unit so they can't overwatch

2. knock a couple of models off before the bigger/better unit assaults

Not sure how you do this with a bike list but that is what I've been thinking generally for my armies.

Yes, folks will need to adapt. Tool flanking for shooting (not a bad idea if folks are protecting juicy models in the unit "bubble" to allow the outlying models to die first. We had a discussion in the SW forum and the general consensus was that if we fielded scouts using outflank we would delete fists, hammers and power weapons for plasma guns, plasma pistols and gunslinger plasma pistols and bolters instead of bolt pistols.

Archived