Last chapter without Drop Pod Assault

LostProphet217

I have to say that I've never actually wanted drop pod assault... It's kind of a douche move, but one of the things that a lot of people I've played against have overlooked is the wording for Deathwing Assault: it states that you may deep strike first turn. DPA says that you must... subtle difference, but DA using pods and terminators can delay the game for the first two enemy rounds of shooting (if you opt to go second) and force them to deploy some of their stuff on the table blind. They'd have no idea where you are going to be, and you can even wait to make the decisions yourself until you see where your opponent has his/her stuff. It seems totally doable still in 6th and it practically ensures that you get the objective for killing something of the opposing army first. :)

Opponents can adjust to those rules quite easily as too many people develop army lists in two halves. So it becomes easy to tell what their first and second waves will be. It's effectively the same strategy as air cav; drop in troops, stabilize, bring in support units.

The problem is in this game you can't commit overpowering resources like the army can if they need to take a crucial location so your opponent gets to know what you'll be dropping and how best to handle them. The one thing I like about it though is the current DPA rules favour max bodies strategies because you know you can drop an MM dread and 20 PA troops on your opponents flank on turn one.

However all I need is the option to DWA against gunlines that are prone to a dedicated CC command squad so they can wreak havoc for a turn or two.

page 124 "preparing reserves: When deploying their armies, players can choose not to deploy up to half of their units (rounding up) keeping them as Reserves to arrive later."

you can't reserve your full army anymore, you must start with 1/2 your army on the board now to stop people from boning the other side.

there are ways to get around this rule like you ignore the rule if the unit MUST enter play from reserves via deep strike.

Archived