BA and Challenge Tactics

Morticon

One thing I'm totally convinced of. Sergeants w/o an invulnerable save shouldn't have fist. On average (yes I realize that on average is a hard place to live), a PW sarge kills one with a fist before the fist strikes for 10 points cheaper. There may be some cases where you're better off (vehicles, Nobs) but I don't think you can pay 25 points for an I1 weapon unless you have a better chance to be around to swing it.

Why rebuild them?

Powerfists still work, they can pop tanks, slaughter MEQs and with luck, can ID the odd HQ.

At the end of the day, a Sarge with a powerfist is just as likely to strike as a sarge with a sword, either my I5 HQ kills him, or he hits back, either at I4 or I1.

And if your going to hit back, you might as well do it good and proper.

true, but you have missed the intervening I steps - all those I4 MEQ, I3+2 xenoforms and IG and i think THATS what makes this thing such a game changer, theres funally a way to negate massive CC advantage without feeding Khârn another platoon of IG or the spare Tac squad we all keep around :D

Ill come back for this thread - i think it will be extremly important for our 6th ed understandings as i dont think we can ignore it.

I think its excatly right its a case by case thing. I think the key is going to be keeping as many options/possiblities open as you can. If you lots of IC with PWs then i think you should opt for fists on your sergeants. If your enemy has a 2+ IC with an unwiely weapon hes certainly not going to wish to come up against your sergeant. However if you come up against a character who is 3+ with I4 you can challenge with an IC packing PW or claw(s)

Agreed.

I think that matching IC with Sgts. Adds an extra layer of complexity (and phun!) to the challenges issue

Realised that by denying a challenge, we can sometimes prevent an IC from getting his attacks at all.

If an enemy IC is far enough back and challenges us, it may be worthwhile declining the challenge to prevent the IC from hopping from the safety of the back to the front!!

Just a thought!

Realised that by denying a challenge, we can sometimes prevent an IC from getting his attacks at all.

If an enemy IC is far enough back and challenges us, it may be worthwhile declining the challenge to prevent the IC from hopping from the safety of the back to the front!!

Just a thought!

But since we are Blood Angels, Sons of Sanguinius and his legacy in mind, proud and deadly servants of the Emperor, we won't do this, right? :cuss

...right?

Just a thought!

But since we are Blood Angels, Sons of Sanguinius and his legacy in mind, proud and deadly servants of the Emperor, we won't do this, right? :cuss

...right?

Dude, if Brother Corbulo consults veteran sarge Lucius prior to battle and says: "My brother, there will come a moment where you will be called upon by an enemy hero to fight in glorious battle - do not heed his jibes for this is the path to defeat..."

Who am I to question the Far Seeing Eye !! ? ^_^ :P

Dude, if Brother Corbulo consults veteran sarge Lucius prior to battle and says: "My brother, there will come a moment where you will be called upon by an enemy hero to fight in glorious battle - do not heed his jibes for this is the path to defeat..."

Who am I to question the Far Seeing Eye !! ? :) :P

Well, now that you say it...I misread the text in the way that you thought keeping our ICs from fighting when declining a challenge (you know, if you're against Arjac or smth) is acceptable...but keeping your opponent's IC from fighting sounds completely different when he's challenging a sergeant. Silly me!

Oh, and you're right - never question the Far Seeing Eye. :P

Snorri

Archived