Libro Angelica Nomina

Ajax Tlamunus

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/samael.jpg

Asmodai, Master Interrogator-Chaplain

Asmodai (UK/US: ăz'mə-də) comes from an alternate the Hebrew אשמדאי‎ or Ashmedai, a demon better known by the Latin Asmodeus. A king of demons in ]Jewish demonology, some Talmudic legends, and is mostly known from the deuterocanonical Book of Tobit. Renaissance Christians named him of of the Seven Princes of Hell, representing the sin of lust.

Azrael, Supreme Grand Master

Azrael (US: æzreil UK: æzriel) is famously the name of the Angel of Death in some extrabiblical traditions. Unlike most of the Dark Angels' named characters, the name is not Hebrew in origin, but is instead the English form of the Arabic name ʿIzrāʾīl (عزرائيل) or Azra'eil (عزرایل). The Angel of Death, as one might imagine, is a scary badass is Jewish, Christian, and Islamic lore.

Belial, Master of the Deathwing

Belial (US: bē'lē-əl UK: bēl'yēl) is sometimes transliterated into English as Be'lial or Baalial comes from the Hebrew בְּלִיַּ֫עַל. A a demon appearing Jewish and Christian apocrypha. Some of you might be an interesting in the cosmic coincidence that one derivation for the name might mean worthless. Games Workshop probably took the name from one of the angels that rebels against God in John Milton's Paradise Lost.

Sammael, Master of the Ravenwing

Sammael (US/UK: sămē-əl), from the Hebrew: סמאל‎, can also be transliterated as Samael or Samil in English. An archangel in Talmudic and Kabbalah lore, Sammael is a complex figure who is accuser, seducer and destroyer, as well as a guardian, ruler, and bringer of change. His name means "the venom of God," which is pretty hardcore.

Ezekiel, Grand Master of Librarians

Ezekiel (US/UK: ĭ-zē'kē-əl) didn't get the job just by being good at the Dewy Decimal System. Ezekiel takes his name from the Hebrew prophet Ezekiel or Yhez'qel (Hebrew: יְחֶזְקֵאל‎‎), from the sixth century B.C.E. who called for the Jews exiled in Babylon to return to godliness and faith. In Judaism and Christianity, he is also viewed as the author of the Book of Ezekiel that reveals prophecies regarding the destruction of Jerusalem and the Millennia Temple visions

Naaman, Veteran Scout-Sergeant

Naaman (Hebrew: נַעֲמָן) was a commander of the armies of Ben-Hadad II (also known as Hadadezer) around 850 B.C.E. Naaman is mentioned in 2 Kings 5 of the Jewish Tanakh and Luke 4:27 of the Christian New Testament. His appearances in scripture mostly concern his being cured of a sickness by the the prophet Elisha, Naaman renounced his former god Rimmon and accepting the God of Israel. However, given the size and power of the Aram Damascus kingdom of Ben-Hadad II, a commander in his armies would have been a potent warrior and cilitary commander.

More to come!

Eh, to be honest, I prefer classic latin pronounciation.

Seems more fitting with high gothic.

Latin is all well and good, it even played a large role in my primary and secondary education, but it doesn't change the origins of these names. As the majority of Dark Angels characters are named for characters from Classical Hebrew sources, the Latin pronunciation is no more accurate or inaccurate than the British-English or American-English ones... Ecclesiastical Latin which is what I learned as part of my Catholic education (which is what most modern Latin speakers use) is not actually identical to the Medieval Latin of the Church's heyday, nor the Classical Latin of the Roman Empire, and certainly not the Old Latin of the Roman Republic which would have been in use when the Hebrew were writting down most of the religious works these names come from. A few millennia has that sort of effect on a language. Heck, even Classical Hebrew pronunciation defers from Modrern Hebrew. To say nothing of accents... I know an Israeli-born rabbi who learned English in Edinburgh! :devil:

My main purpose in putting this togther -- besides boredom -- was just wanting to share a little bit more insight into the flavor and feel of the Dark Angels with the community. I see a lot of players using Greco-Roman names and imagery for their Dark Angels, which is fine if that's what you want to do, but I feel that sort of flavor is more in line with the Ultramarines (Imperial Roman), Minotaurs (Classical Greece), or Blood Angels (Renaissance Rome).

Also, as much of Jewish angelology derives from Zoroastrianism, Asmodai is a corruption of the Persian name Aeshma Daeva, "Demon of Wrath". He was one of the lieutenants of Ahriman, and later got absorbed into Jewish folklore and demonology. I find the name quite fitting for a badass Interrogator-Chaplain.

Archived