Fortress of Redeption and Shield of Sanguinius

Zedrenael

I do not have the new 6th ED BRB in front of me, but can you give the fortress of redemption a 5+ cover save with shield?

Also how does shield work from inside the Fortress? Can you do it? Is it measured from that section or the whole thing?

I do not have the new 6th ED BRB in front of me, but can you give the fortress of redemption a 5+ cover save with shield?

Shield of Sangunius affects all units by giving them a 5+ Cover save. All Fortifications have in their datasheets a "Terrain Type" entry. So I would say - no, Shield does not work on terrrain and therefore does not work on Fortifications.

Also how does shield work from inside the Fortress? Can you do it? Is it measured from that section or the whole thing?

As for this part - I haven't run across the 6th Ed rule covering this but I would expect it to work as it did in 5th, measuring Aura effects from the model/section the Psycher is embarked in.

If you did it, I'd expect you to be measuring from the section that your librarian is in - certainly not any part of the whole thing...

As for does it actually work on the building - I would probably say yes: pg 92 "buildings of all types use the transport vehicles rules. the main difference between buildings and actual vehicles is that they cant move and units from either side can go inside." so treating it the same as a rhino (for example).

Shield of Sanguinius only works on "units". No where in the BRB that it talks about fortresses does say or imply that they are units. In fact on pg 109, 2nd col., last parg it says "Unlike units, fortifications" clearly seperating the two. At least IMO shield won't work an a fortification.

In that case - how are you ever going to shoot at a fortress? or attack it in close combat, or do anything to it at all... "Choose a unit to be your target", "assault an enemy unit", etc... Also no zoanthrope warp blasts, no vortex of doom, etc.

If you are treating it as 'terrain' then only something like an apoc linebreaker squadron (which has a specific rule affecting terrain) could even hope to damage a fortress, although even then it couldnt target the fortress directly.

The simplest answer, which causes least problems, is to treat it exactly like an immobilised vehicle.

In that case - how are you ever going to shoot at a fortress? or attack it in close combat, or do anything to it at all... "Choose a unit to be your target", "assault an enemy unit", etc... Also no zoanthrope warp blasts, no vortex of doom, etc.

If you are treating it as 'terrain' then only something like an apoc linebreaker squadron (which has a specific rule affecting terrain) could even hope to damage a fortress, although even then it couldnt target the fortress directly.

The simplest answer, which causes least problems, is to treat it exactly like an immobilised vehicle.

No, there are specific rules which allow us to target these.

"Units may shoot at or charge an occupied building just as if it was a vehicle"

Since this is a permissive rules set we have been given permission to do these two actions. We have not been given any other permissions regarding saves etc/assuming its a vehicles/unit- and therefore Shield will not work.

Archived