Dark Angel Fortifications

Unforgiven2544

Greetings fellow gamers,

I would like to ask your opinion: Would you call shenanigans if I used a Landed Thunderhawk as a fortification? Probably a bastion, but maybe a "counts as" Fortress of redemption.

It would be a way to get your thunderhawks in 'standard' games of 40k.

And it could make for some really epic "evac" scenarios.

Very Respectfully,

--Unforgiven

It might work but definitely not as a fortress of redemption, that thing is huge.

So's the Thunderhawk! The standard gunship Thunderhawk measures about 19 inches in length, 17 inches wide, and sits about 8 inches tall (landing gear to primary turret). Add some sandbags or aegis barricades to "flesh out" the rest of the area (say, from the wings to the front ramp) and you've got a bang up fortification.

The Turbolaser or Battlecannon makes a decent stand-in for the fortress's main turret, its got the heavy bolters, and models can easily stand on its wings and back. I say, go for it!

Is it that big really?I havent seen them side by side but i still believe it must be smaller. Anyhow...

Oh yea they are that big. The FW model is like $600 which equals alot of resin.

For the sake of clarity, my measurements were based on the standard Thunderhawk from Forgeworld. The transporter Thunderhawk sits a bit higher on its landing struts, but lacks the dorsal turret big gun, making it about equal overall... The very rare pewter one from Citadel is a few inches shorter in almost every dimension... and will drink deeply your fingers' blood during assembly.

will drink deeply your fingers' blood during assembly.

Must be the khorne thunder hawk!

It would be a sin, but smashing up the thunder hawk and putting in sand bags etc would make a great bunker....

It would be a sin, but smashing up the thunder hawk and putting in sand bags etc would make a great bunker....

I've known GW to make use of some of Forgeworld's more egregious miscasts... like an Eldar Phantom Titan that got turned into terrain in, IIRC, the Chicago Battle Bunker. Gotta love £350.00 scatter terrain!

For those of us with more terrestrial budgets, the are a number of templates floating around the internet for cardstock, plasticard, or even papercrafted Thunderhawks. Turning one into a grounded wreck might be a good way to go in order to playout that Thunderhawk Down scenario I've always wanted to try....

Archived