Vaylund Cal, and the Devastator temptation...

LoreDraconis

So, I'm looking at starting to use Vaylund Cal in my Iron Hands successor chapter since he's such an extreme badass.

For those not familiar, he's a beast of a Techmarine, with S10 thunderhammer attacks and T6 from the Badab war p2

However, army building is proving difficult. He's got a nice buff to devestators, giving them all FnP. This makes me like the idea of Plasma devs, and with snapfire and the vehicle armor changes, heavy bolters are looking interesting again. The problem remains though, devs are not cheap, and while I can see myself taking a single maxed squad, 2 might be pushing it.

Is the FnP on them a big enough draw? should I do 5 man squads or max them and combat squad with 2 heavies each? Or do I forget about it and buy more thunderfires...

On top of that, I'm trying to decide what the best way would be to deploy Cal. With terminators in a LR? Put him in an achilles with some servitors and another techmarine for max annoyance (don't tell anyone...thats my secret evil plan!)

I'd appreciate the help!

The thing I like about Cal's FNP on Devs is that it doesn't apply to jsut the heavy weapon carriers; it applies to every member of a Devastator squad. So you take a full squad with four heavies and combat squad them. Stick the five mooks in a Razorback and drive them forward, disembark on an objective to Deny it to the enemy. Five PA models aren't hard to kill, but FNP makes them HARDER to kill, and now you're getting double coverage out of that Dev squad.

The thing I like about Cal's FNP on Devs is that it doesn't apply to jsut the heavy weapon carriers; it applies to every member of a Devastator squad. So you take a full squad with four heavies and combat squad them. Stick the five mooks in a Razorback and drive them forward, disembark on an objective to Deny it to the enemy. Five PA models aren't hard to kill, but FNP makes them HARDER to kill, and now you're getting double coverage out of that Dev squad.

thats really quite brilliant actually :)

I had thought about that, does seem like a decent tactic, especially considering he gives the army fearless as well (which is significantly better now). Still begs the question whether 2 squads are worth it.

Here's another headscratcher...in Cal's entry, they state to model him on a 40mm base. However, he wears artificer armor. So...by the rules as far as I can tell he only takes up one space in a transport...correct? or is there some mention of base size in regards to transport capacity?

If so, I can pile him into a razorback with the FnP devs to add some threat. Still can't quite decide if I like him better as part of a dedicated combat squad, or as support for a fire squad like sternguard.

Archived