A tale of two -- Predators ?

Volfen

Ok, I admit, I really am not all that fond of the way the Predator from GW looks. To me, it looks way too tall and boxy. So, by stealing ideas left and right from this forum and others, I set out to make a Predator that looks more "Tank Like".

So with parts from two Predator kits and one Razorback kit, I set out. My first objective is to make a predator similar in cross section and "feel" to a WWII T34 tank; the second to make one look more like a Centurion Tank or Paladin Self Propelled Artillery gun.

So here is the first project - the T-34 look-alike

"gulp" after cutting down the chassis

gallery_61766_7603_774759.jpg

repositioning the top of the hull -- the engine exhausts are cut off and 3 moved to the rear to represent the engines, the turret assembly will be forward.

gallery_61766_7603_523867.jpg

after much plasticard and bloodletting, the sides and engine are blocked in. Not planning to put side sponsons on this model

gallery_61766_7603_165634.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_451112.jpg

Views of the new turret. This is just before I decided to add the Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter

gallery_61766_7603_371828.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_31185.jpg

Final configuration before priming.

gallery_61766_7603_433524.jpg

After priming - I find lots of mistakes during priming phase.

gallery_61766_7603_76832.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_113732.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_75080.jpg

So, does anyone have any suggestions or critiques so far?

I like what you've done with the turret.

I always thought that the original Predator turret is quite a "shot trap" (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_trap). I am thinking about using a Leman Russ turret for my own Predator....

I have to agree. How many times would, say, Chronus of the Ultramarines (he of the 'ultimate tank boss' rep) have to bail out of yet another mangled Predator before he asked himself why? :wacko:

...I'm sorry but I'm not a fan at all

I'm sorry, but how is this constructive criticism?

I'm wondering what if we follow the same look - but keep the original height of the rhino chassis. It seems like if you were to widen the body and and create the larger turret it would solve the design requirements you seek. A lower profile look could be accomplish this way. It does however present a larger target, but I've always been sorta sick of the rhino chassis anyways.

I like this concept a lot. Great work.

You have done amazing work on that conversion.

My only suggestion would be to remove the two communications arrays you have on the sides of the turret. They look a bit precarious there--Marines getting in and out of the tank from the turret hatch would likely smash them to pieces. You could move one or both of them to the rear of the main body of the vehicle.

Very cool!

The best conversions are:

A.) instantly recognizable as what they are meant to portray

B.) inspired and unique in their realization

C.) "feel" complete when looked at

This one ticks all the boxes for me. I like the look of the standard predator, but yours is no slouch and definitely reminds of the old Predator chassis. It especially pulls off the "Tank" look rather than the "Rhino with Turret and Sponsons" look that the Predator suffers a bit from.

My concern with this conversion would be an accusation that you modeled for advantage. By lowering the height of the model you increase the possibilitiies of getting a Cover save going hull-down.

Thanks for the posts and critiques all. :)

The modding for advantage is definitely something to worry about, but since these will only be used in our local gaming group, its not as much an issue. Our group is rather laid back

The LC power cells is simply because I liked the look better this way;)

You have done amazing work on that conversion.

My only suggestion would be to remove the two communications arrays you have on the sides of the turret. They look a bit precarious there--Marines getting in and out of the tank from the turret hatch would likely smash them to pieces. You could move one or both of them to the rear of the main body of the vehicle.

Very cool!

After looking again, your post jogged what was bothering me about the turret. I have to agree completely. Next on the menu - moving the comm arrays :)

As requested, here are a couple pics of the new model predator (shall we call it leopard pattern?) next to a standard Predator

side - by - side -- New Pred obviously shorter, hopefully not glaringly so.

gallery_61766_7603_69765.jpg

New model in foreground -- the sensor array has been moved, and I think its ready for base coat

gallery_61766_7603_171743.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_74703.jpg

Thanks for all critiques and suggestions. If anyone has any more ideas, let me know. Should I add sloping armor underneath the autocannon?

They can be easily changed until the paint goes on:)

The second model is under the knife now. Maybe we'll call it the Panther Pattern ;)

The only part I don't like is the marine on top. With the shorter chassis he just looks too big and (in my eyes) makes the model a little top heavy. The rest of it though I think is really nice. Not something I'd be brave enough to attempt but nice all the same!

• 1 month later...

Well, again after much gnashing of teeth and bloodletting, I'm ready to show the first WIP pics of the next Predator Mod. This one is very loosely based on the British Centurion.

First mockup - lots to be done yet. The turret being prepped for major modification.

gallery_61766_7603_67969.jpg

Starting to look as I planned. The Lion symbol obviously in need of GS repair. The aft plate on the floating armor skirt is from the old metal Landraider kit. The armor floating armor skirts still have some angle iron projections to be added. The side sponsons will be magnetized, so more work to be done there :D

gallery_61766_7603_112147.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_70399.jpg

The new turret - inspired by the ForgeWorld MkIV

gallery_61766_7603_169214.jpg

Since I worked so much on the look of the new turret, I thought it would be nice to magnetize the weapon options. Eventually, the standard LC, AC, and the two Forgeworld options will be modeled. I'll have to make the Conversion Beamer and Plasma Destroyer Cannons from scratch.

gallery_61766_7603_55899.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_121975.jpg

comments and criticism welcome :unsure: One nice thing about posting to the B&C is the creative feedback you get. I can personally see several places I need to "clean up" that the macro photos show clearly;)

Ok, the Panther Pattern Predator (say that 3 times fast) is almost ready for final cleanup and priming. This model will have magnetized main and side armament, and I modified the Autocannon to get a more "tank" feel. Is the result too big? I will also in the future be making Plasma Destroyer and Conversion Beamer main armament.

First, the Lascannon side and front view

gallery_61766_7603_1561.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_1620.jpg

The Autocannon views

gallery_61766_7603_71396.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_105390.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_146724.jpg

The Business End :P

gallery_61766_7603_4591.jpg

Criticisms and Suggestions welcome. Anything can be changed til painting begins :lol:

Archived