A tale of two -- Predators ?

Volfen

Paladin Self Propelled Artillery gun.

WIN!

In all seriousness, these are great. I love seeing the hobby taken to extremes, It tells GW, we'll do what we want,thank you.

I gotta see em painted.........I double dare you, there I said it!

Not quite my cup of tea but great to see examples of what can be achieved with a little imagination and some plasti-card :lol:

Perhaps they will look more appealing to me once they are painted but congrats on the great work all the same!!

• 4 months later...

Well Finally, after much Real Life Annoyances, I have begun painting the Predator variants. Neither are close to complete, and I kept thinking of "just one more thing" to add to the project, but I thought I'd post the results so far to get some feedback from the board. Note that final details and weathering are still to be done. ;)

First, the T-34 looking variant, which I have dubbed the Leopard.

gallery_61766_7603_82354.jpg

Main gun color, Golden Lion symbol, lights and various numbers and markings are still unfinished, as is the tank commander.

I experimented with the new textured paints and drybrush colors for some of the weathering.

gallery_61766_7603_122579.jpg

Side View

gallery_61766_7603_23970.jpg

Next is the reason it took so long to update. The Centurion inspired variant, which I've dubbed the Basilisk Model Predator, kept giving me new ideas. So far, I'm up to 3 different main gun options with a fourth in the works, and naturally I needed to magnetize the side weapon options. :D

gallery_61766_7603_89384.jpg

Side View with Antenna stored. I may change the main gun color to the same sandy yellow of the main tank body.

gallery_61766_7603_203459.jpg

Tank Killer version. With the main gun magnetized, I tended to go a bit overboard.

gallery_61766_7603_40889.jpg

Forge World inspired Heavy Plasma Destroyer Version. Work still needs doing on the weapon muzzle

gallery_61766_7603_86994.jpg

In the works is a conversion beamer main gun, and side armaments obviously need to be finished, along with final paint details, but I'm enjoying where these are going. What do you folks think?

• 1 month later...

Well the Leopard Pattern Pred is getting close to being done, so I thought I might show you guys my progress and hopefully get some feedback.

Leopard Pattern -- about 90% complete

gallery_61766_7603_205179.jpg

Top View

gallery_61766_7603_125253.jpg

Right Side

gallery_61766_7603_10982.jpg

Left Side

gallery_61766_7603_186409.jpg

Minor Airbrushing for smoke stains and dust is still on schedule, but I think he is ready for the tabletop.

This is the first time I've used this technique for chipping/weathering, and I fear I might have gone a bit overboard, but otherwise I like how it turned out.

Joining the Leopard is the Basilisk Pattern Predator, which is also almost entirely complete. It was also "heavily weathered" to simulate extreme use. ( And of course since I just learned this new technique, I was having too much fun to stop when it was just subtle ) :)

gallery_61766_7603_104919.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_95180.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_21883.jpg

Tank Destroyer Option:

gallery_61766_7603_66100.jpg

TLLC and Heavy Bolter Option:

gallery_61766_7603_56517.jpg

Finally, Basilisk and Leopard together, soon to be representing Golden Lion Tank Squadron 6 at our local gaming tables :D

gallery_61766_7603_36645.jpg

Critiques and criticisms welcome.

I think that you have done an excellent job, I am of the preference of the guns being painted the same color as the tanks, they just stick out too much with the silver and black. Just my preference but well done on both tanks.

I was a bit concerned on the other page...

butttttt...

after seeing a paint job and relizing that it is actually shorter then the other one...

I like it

a bit to much on the weathering and metal base under the paint job...maybe a good ol wash by the scouts and paint job by the servitors is all it needs haha

• 5 months later...

The Panther pattern story

Well after 6 months of other projects and some feedback from my gaming group, I scrounged up the last of my spare Predator bits to make a 3rd variant. The aim of the third mod is to have a Predator that is both more "tank like" to suit my sensibilities and can still be used on the tabletop without anyone feeling it is too different. ( My game group has no problem with the first two, but this one should be completely normal as far as use in "standard" tournaments, etc)

I didn't get any WIP pictures prior to the basic mockup, but here is the new Panther pattern Predator next to a standard Pred.

Note the Storm Bolter is not yet attached and the Plasma Destroyer cannon option is still being fabricated

gallery_61766_7603_66676.jpg

The side sponsons are a little bit forward compared to the standard model, and the sloped upper chassis area tends to make it look slightly lower to the ground, though it is the same height.

gallery_61766_7603_11810.jpg

From the top the new model actually looks a little beefier, probably due to the heavy armor and extended back end of the new turret.

gallery_61766_7603_17841.jpg

The aft end reworked to give the impression of a larger power plant.

gallery_61766_7603_89815.jpg

This should give an idea of the larger turret size. The old and new both with TLLC. The "ammo chutes" are from a Baal Predator turret and were simply added because I liked the look.

gallery_61766_7603_61524.jpg

The side sponsons are magnetized so that either the HB or LC (or neither) can be used.

gallery_61766_7603_51725.jpg

Over this last weekend I gave the tank its first (very bad) paint, but here are some views to give an idea of the Panther with a little bit of color. It should look better once the paint job is cleaned up, and decals, details and weathering are added.

gallery_61766_7603_19192.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_111047.jpg

gallery_61766_7603_12970.jpg

suggestions and critiques welcome

Not a fan of the first, but the last two are great! Really nice work.

I like the hull of the third more, but the sponsons look too far forward, like tiny T-Rex arms sticking out past the front of the tank.

Brother Xenith, You may have something there.  Looking at it with new eyes I'm starting to agree with you.  Since the 3rd (the Panther) is closer to standard height, the "balance" may be too far forward.

It may be fixable.  Let me check the bits box before I go cutting on the model, but I might be able to move the sponsons back about 1/2 inch.  If I have the parts, Panther may wait on paint while he goes back in the garage for engineering modifications. ;)

I have a suggestion that may not be so drastic - Move the magnets to the front of th housing on the lascannon, instead of at the back  - looking at the tank again, I think that is where the problem lies.

I think the issue was that the lascannon was joined to the main body of the tank at a very un-natural and unbalanced pivot point.

Ok, the Panther is out of the modification garage. I moved the sponsons back just a bit and repositioned the magnets on the side weapons to be just a little more centered. These pics are straight out of the priming booth and show some errors that I missed during construction. Work is begun to get them all fixed and get the model back to at least the first colors stage of painting. Still some extras need to be added such as rivets, but you can tell where the design is going.

the left side after the sponson was moved back. the debris on the fender was cleaned right after the pic was taken, as was the mold lines on the sponson top

gallery_61766_7603_3042.jpg

the right side. still clean up to do on both modified areas, especially the aft doorway and sponson top.

gallery_61766_7603_62874.jpg

with AC turret and LC side weapons. The side areas next to the headlamps are where I plan to put the smoke launchers.

gallery_61766_7603_3556.jpg

with side heavy bolters

gallery_61766_7603_89122.jpg

full Anti - Tank mode.

gallery_61766_7603_78125.jpg

Hopefully an update this weekend will show at least basic paints and decals. Comments, Critiques, and suggestions welcome. smile.png

I had been wanting to do something like that for my Warbringer's diorama, using a Predator resloped to look like the Brit's Challenger, double-wide tracks, with the railgun off a Tau tank.  You've certainly inspired me...thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, minimal update on the Panther; modifications are completed and the very first beginnings of the paint job is done. Lots of highlights, weathering, dust, smoke and decals left to do, but I hope you can tell what its shaping up to be.

The basic configuration of the Panther, as it will most likely be used the majority of the time.

gallery_61766_7603_26658.jpg

As a Autocannon Heavy Bolter Pred. Note the paint is still in its infancy :)

gallery_61766_7603_18682.jpg

Tank hunter configuration.

gallery_61766_7603_87056.jpg

If the Plasma Destroyer Cannon ever becomes legal for regular 40K, this will be the Panther Pred version. Conversion beamer still in the works.

gallery_61766_7603_48366.jpg

Note that the built - up turret makes this version actually a teeeny bit taller than a regular Predator.

gallery_61766_7603_375.jpg

I've had a blast modeling these variations on the Predator. I'll post a pic of the Golden Lion 6th Predator regiment when the Panther is finished. Comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome.

Until I saw a coat of primer I was like "What the hell is he doing?"

On the fully painted models I'm thinking that the distressing may be a bit to much on the 1st 2 models. Your regular predator's paint job is excellent and I think you should have followed that scheme with the others.

Archived