Legion of the Damned's Potenial

Disciples of Iron

Yes, They are a Glorified tactical squad and yes, they are overpriced.

But with this new edition I am seeing them lose some old negative traits.

Slow and Purposeful follows the same of walk and gun people down with heavy weaponry at the user BS which is handy unlike its younger brother called Snap-shot.

but it no longer asks us to roll how far we want to walk.

Fearless no longer inflicts wounds upon ourselves if we lose combat, but instead make Lotd continue fighting.

Rapid Fire Range had increase inproving the effectiveness of the bolters, gathered rapid fire is a minus too a generally wound-lag takes its toll eventually on anything.

deepstriking is alot easier in this edition thus easier for Lotd to arrive in one piece and sooner.

whats your thoughts?

Interesting that a fellow iron hand mentions lotd. Do you also plan to use them as counts as bionic veterans? ;) Anyway, the big draw back I see is no over watch for slow and purposeful, and no sweeping advances, but I can deal with that.

They would make it rather well as shock troops imo. Always having their 3+ as an Invulnerable all the time is good as it means they wont get minced by power swords etc. I could see them being very useful at pushing units from objectives perhaps paired with a power fist on the sergeant, its not very often that you can get a WS 5 power fist running around with a 3+ Invuln. As for special and heavy weapons, I guess its down to what you prefer the unit to be cleansing with.

Obviously the Deep Striking will factor into how you use them. A locator beacon would be useful to get them near the fight on an objective so they can pummel the enemy with rapid fire bolters.

I am wondering why Seahawk has not said something in this thread yet.

The ability to move normally without having to roll is a big plus for the unit.

I have not fielded them in a while. Looks like I will have to dust off the models and see how they far in this new edition.

One problem is that Slow and Purposeful prevents Overwatch for some reason. So you'd probably have to be fairly aggressive with them and make sure that you're the one who charges. Which is still an issue for rapid-fire weapons.

As genarally stated, they have 2 attack unlike most normal bolter armed marines so I'm not to fused about overwatch, it seems an aggressive play style is the only way to use them.

Drop them mid game, rapid fire, hope they don't die during enemies turn, rapid fire and then assault with power-stuff.

Yet how many to field is a different situation all together. . .

I shall have to ponder.

So I was thinking of bringing mine out in a 5 man squad in my Vulkan list. I am going to give them a multi-melta and meltagun, then give the sergeant a plasma pistol and Power axe (how convenient that the one in the box comes with that!). Then I'm going to use them as a TEQ hunter. dropping them next to a squad of terminators would reliably remove 1-2 terminators with shooting alone, and they're no slouches in CC either. Failing that (there are no TEQ's on the board), I think they'd make splendid MC or even tank hunters. Best part of TEQ hunting? I can drop them (hopefully) just out of range and get a round of shooting before I charge too!

Just my thoughts on the subject

And where IS seahawk?

Archived