Sgt Jurisan: SS and PW

Vet Sahl Chu: BP and CS

Vet Jitae: BP and CS

Vet Taeguk: BP and CS

Vet Geun: CS, SS, and MB

Vet Koryo: CS, SS, and MB

*All have Jump Packs

This seem ok?

It seems okay to me, provided you intend to use them strictly as skirmishers/counter-charge support. Personally I'd stick the MBs on the models that don't have upgrades. Again, the guys with Storm Shields are intended to soak super kill-shots...but a MB is a small upgrade and the unit's only six strong anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. I may just give one guy melta bombs because - honestly - they're only useful for bunker-busting and that's better reserved for other units. Vanguard shine at close combat with light to medium infantry; they're a little out of place tackling anything else. (Actually, I'd not use Melta Bombs, but that's just me. <3 You seem to really want them.)

If you DS them with Heroic Intervention deep and by themselves with the hope of killing an enemy unit, you may kill the unit, but you will absolutely lose the Vanguard the following player turn. Instead, use HI to put them where your lines are in trouble, not just as a suicide-surgical removal unit. Jump Teams are best used to support your tacticals which are "okay" in an assault but with a quick-moving, decently hard hitting unit to charge in with them, suddenly they're much better in an assault.

Better yet, don't use Heroic Intervention at all (unless you have Locator Beacons or are Blood Angels) and instead keep them behind your lines for a counter jump.

The whole reason you give a one-wound model a Storm Shield is so that model can potentially weather a hit that some other model can't. Since a model with a Storm shield should be in front (due to new wound allocation) so he or she can face-plow through a Lascannon shot and survive, you don't want that model to also have another paid upgrade. If it does, and it fails, you lose the fist. The guy with the fist should not take any saves: hide him behind the shields! ;) That's the idea in this new edition.

Except where you are dealing with a character, where Fist & Storm Shield on a Sergeant model can be a good way to kill enemy characters in a challenge.

Except where you are dealing with a character, where Fist & Storm Shield on a Sergeant model can be a good way to kill enemy characters in a challenge.

That's a very good point. This actually applies to normal Assault Sergeants too.

I really like the way Challenges and AP changes to melee weapons have impacted the game; lots more to consider now.

Archived