Calgar/Cassius/HG Deathstar

Jupiter

I'm not an ultramarines player, but I was just musing about the following unit:

Marneus Calgar, Armor of Antilochus

Chaplain Cassius

10 Honor Guard, Chapter Banner

Land Raider Crusader

Total: 1000 points, on the nose

I really don't like deathstars, but this seems to be the best one in the book to me. On the charge, they will have 63 reroll-to-hit PW/PF attacks.

Has anyone ever tried it? It seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

I think that's a bit too much. I commonly use all of those units, but putting them all together. Think of it this way. You are guaranteed to charge out of that land raider and wipe out the first unit. (ok actually, if your land raider gets hit and stuck along the way, that will be the end of your game) But what happens then? You have 12 models out in the open. Granted with 2+ saves, but imagine how much shooting lets say 750 points' worth (you just killed 250) of models can do in your opponent's turn.

Sometimes less is more. Just Cassius and 4-5 honour guards will pretty much take down most squads.. probably leave one or two left, so you finish them off in your opponent's turn, then you can jump back into your land raider or move on.

If you REALLY want a deathstar that will wipe out anything, then go for termies, they can at least use their Storm shields to withstand shooting in the aftermath. But keep in mind everything is closest first now... so place them around any other models...

I have used something similar in the past, not as many hg. Usually 4 with calgar an cassius and even then they really cut things up......in 5th. I pretty much always ended up using cassius for my hq as he is such great value and I love it when his unit gets reduced to two as rounded up they're toughness 6! I would stick him with my hammernators just to make sure :).

But whenever I did take hg i would always put cassius in there for the rerolls even if big daddy calgar was off elsewhere drawing attention and generally smashing bits out of my opponents.

I think you guys are right on point in saying it's a bit too much for one unit. With the points sink there, you could easily field 2 separate units that would be just as effective and more mobile, while only sacrificing a little survivability.

I doubt I'll ever have the chance (nor would I want to) try this unit out on the table, but I still think it's a pretty hilariously destructive option.

In apocalypse, are there any formations that could merit 60+ PW attacks? Like any formations of 30-40 terminators? THEN I think we might have found a use for this unit :)

Interesting. Even better would be to remove a couple guard and add a techmarine with harness and power weapon. That way you can fix your ride on the way to the enemy :)

Interesting. Even better would be to remove a couple guard and add a techmarine with harness and power weapon. That way you can fix your ride on the way to the enemy :D

Take a MOTF as the HQ for your second detachment, better than Techmarine. If you are really feeling sassy, toss a 100pt librarian on there as well.

Unfortunately you cannot ally with armies coming from the same codex, which is why I suggested a techmarine. However, at 2000+ the foc doubles, so you could take an motf instead.

Archived