My first post, My new Imperial Fists Army WIP!

This is my first post on here, I just wanted to show off my WIP imperial fists army. Right now I have 5man tac squad done and just finished off 3 termies, working on the last 2 now. Have a bunch of items on the way, such as an ironclad, razor back and termie assault squad. I hope to update this page with pictures of my progress, and give me incentive to keep painting them. Let me know what you guys think, and I am very open to any sugesstions to guys give. Enjoy!!!

Also as for the paint scheme for yellow I used Mengal's tutorial. http://mengelminiatures.blogspot.ca/, so all credit to him.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7098/img0341mi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1562/img0343k.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5545/img0345pp.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6709/img0347qs.jpg

Awesome Fists. They look excellent.

Are you going to add decals? or try freehanding the chapter symbol?

I think I am going to add decals later, I need to buy the microsol, also I was thinking of not adding them, cause they always just rub off, and I hate to spray varnish or matt on it, since i find it ruins the color tone of the model, any recomendations? I may order the fists shoulder pads online, to save myself the trouble, I dunno though, what do you guys think?

Also how do you guys take the mold lines off? I tried before with my model knife, but it just ends up scratching the model worse.... Also they don't bother me that much, but if it is a quick fix then I will take them off in the future. Opss just saw your post about taking them off, how much $$$ is the tool from gw?

Also on a final note, these pictures were taken on my Iphone, the yellow is bright in real life, but not as bright in the pictures, I have hdr photos of them, but I found it muted the yellow and made it look faaaar to light then it acutally was in real life. But these photo's are close to the acutal yellow

Reeally nice models.

I use a modelling knife to scrape away mold lines and rarely damage the model in the process. It is very important to scrape rather than cut the lines off though!

edit: asked about paint scheme but saw your earlier link ;)

It is very important to scrape rather than cut the lines off though!

Very, very important! ;) I have damaged quite a few models in my time due to this! Just be gentle with your knife, I don't know about anyone else but I found removing mold lines to be annoyingly slow and painful, especially when you're doing 10+ models at a time!!! Once you get the hang of it though, you'll know what you can and can't get away with ;) and the process will be allot quicker...

As for the price of scraper and brush, it can be found here: Citadel Clean Up Kit I really like this product, I even use it when I'm struglling to file away details like chaos markings etc .... The brush comes in handy time to time too.

Hope that helps.

Yours in Honour and Faith,

Chaplain Hiltraud

Another photo, almost done these two termies just a few more hours to fill in the details and base them, I'll get a shot up tomorrow up the entire squad finished! Also thanks for the advice, im going to try and pick up the GW scraping tool tomorrow for my new minis.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/549/img0349xx.jpg

Another photo, almost done these two termies just a few more hours to fill in the details and base them, I'll get a shot up tomorrow up the entire squad finished! Also thanks for the advice, im going to try and pick up the GW scraping tool tomorrow for my new minis.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/549/img0349xx.jpg

Your Fists look great! 5th Co. rocks!

You gotta get some fists on there though. I've used both the sculpted pauldrons and decals, and I think I actually prefer the flat image the decals provide (no disruption of that classic Space Marine silhouette). If you go decals, search around the web for tutorials, lotta good ones out there. I've had good success with:

1) gloss varnish the pauldron - this provides smooth surface, really important to let it dry

2) put decal on with Micro-Set - let dry

3) apply coats of Micro-Sol until decal is completely hugging the surface

4) gloss varnish over to protect decal

I always matte spray my finished minis to protect the paint from scratches/chipping. If you don't want to do that, maybe just some brush on matte over the pauldron to knock the shine out.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing more Fists!

I love the yellow you've achieved on these mini's, not too bright and not to lemony :). On the topic of iconography the Fists decals that come in GW's kits can be a little fiddly to apply because of the shape of marine's shoulder pads but since you're thinking of buying micro sol I'd say go with the decals because once they're on they'll go great with your paint work.

Only nit-pick is as others have said mold lines and gun barrels. I use a variety of tools to remove them from my mini's dependant on the size of component/thickness of mold line (a set of files, shaving them with a scalpel blade and/or very fine sand paper) but the pay off for the prep-work is definately worth it. I'm not sure who said it but nothing spoils the most amazing paintwork like spotting a mold line...

Drilling weapon barrels is nice and easy to fix too... If you don't already have one grab yourself a pin vice (or 'Hobby Drill' as GW insist on calling them now) like this or this one and you'll be all set. You might want to practice on a couple of spare bolters till you're totally comfortable as it can be a bit fiddly at first but you'll be making fantastic mini's look even better in no time :wub:

looking forward to seeing more of your work

cheers

James

I love the yellow you've achieved on these mini's, not too bright and not to lemony ^_^. On the topic of iconography the Fists decals that come in GW's kits can be a little fiddly to apply because of the shape of marine's shoulder pads but since you're thinking of buying micro sol I'd say go with the decals because once they're on they'll go great with your paint work.

Only nit-pick is as others have said mold lines and gun barrels. I use a variety of tools to remove them from my mini's dependant on the size of component/thickness of mold line (a set of files, shaving them with a scalpel blade and/or very fine sand paper) but the pay off for the prep-work is definately worth it. I'm not sure who said it but nothing spoils the most amazing paintwork like spotting a mold line...

Drilling weapon barrels is nice and easy to fix too... If you don't already have one grab yourself a pin vice (or 'Hobby Drill' as GW insist on calling them now) like this or this one and you'll be all set. You might want to practice on a couple of spare bolters till you're totally comfortable as it can be a bit fiddly at first but you'll be making fantastic mini's look even better in no time :)

looking forward to seeing more of your work

cheers

James

yeah im going to my local hobby store today to buy the tools to get rid of the mold lines, also gonna see if I can find some micro sol for the decals and a good tutorial online on how to put them on. Also I have no idea that the captain shoulder piece was supposed to on the other arm haha, my bad... Im a nooby to this. Need to research the fists more.

Thanks for the awesome comments guys, keep them coming! Here are some more pictures of my finished terminator squad, let me know what you think.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6797/backeq.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7364/frontkkg.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8908/sidej.jpg

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4392/squadny.jpg

For round decals on Imperial Fists, Micro-Sol is 1) your best friend and 2) only one part of the solution.

My method is as follows:

1. Cut out decal completely around the circle. Zero overhang can be left.
  2. Let sit in Microsol and water (25/750 for about two minutes. While this is sitting, lightly wash the area with water so you can still move it around a little bit.
  3. Apply with a brush (you'll probably need two brushes)
  4. Dab dry with a paper towel.
  5. After letting it COMPLETELY DRY, get a piece of cloth and get it with the microsol/water solution and dab the decal, applying pressure when needed. Let dry and repeat. If you need to, dab it in pure MicroSol and apply.

It's worked for all my Fists. :lol: Takes some practice though.

Well im pretty upset right now, I may just have to throw these guys out.... I dont know what happened maybe someone on here can shed some light, but when I primed these guys it primed awful, it is like there is a fine dust on them and they are all rough and bumpy.... I dont understand what caused it??? Is it the humidity in the air? Or the spray can.... maybe it is low on paint or not shaken enough?? anyone know?

update: Yeah I just threw out, tried to put the yellow wash on them and it just looked awful, the worst part is one of them was missile launcher guy, which was also ruined so now I have no heavy weapons, and the rocket bit it like $10, FML. I ordered a new can of spray paint to, just to be safe.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7464/img0367c.jpg

I couldn't tell you why it does that,but there was no need to chuck them. Just give thema scrub and take the paint off. Would be a shame to waste. They look awesome.

what do I scrub them with? would it just be a mess? and reck them more?

Soak them in simple green overnight maybe 2 nights to be sure, and get a soft grout brush. Then you just go to town on them with the brush and under warm water.

All the stuff you need should cost about 10-12$ and a home improvement store near you. Plus you can use it to clean them before you paint them.

Best thing I've found to clean them.

P.S. make sure the grout brush is the smallest one you can get, its way better than a tooth brush and wont breakdown as quickly.

Hope that helps.

Soak them in simple green overnight maybe 2 nights to be sure, and get a soft grout brush. Then you just go to town on them with the brush and under warm water.

All the stuff you need should cost about 10-12$ and a home improvement store near you. Plus you can use it to clean them before you paint them.

Best thing I've found to clean them.

P.S. make sure the grout brush is the smallest one you can get, its way better than a tooth brush and wont breakdown as quickly.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the tips, but I am just going to avoid them for now and paint something else haha, I need to see what caused the bad prime first. Gonna wait to the weather gets a little less humid outside and try to spray them inside see if that helps

If it was a GW spray then it is to do with the temperature of the can. This might seem like BS but trust me warming the can up before hand either under your armpit or even warm water then giving a shake and warming it again will help maintain a even coat of spray. Don't try to do too much in one go otherwise the can will cool too much and ruin the models. Needless to say, make sure they are on a stable flat surface (I had an accident with white once that ruined too many models for my liking).

Angrypants

it was army painter spray paint that I used, but come to think of it, the can felt very cold when i picked it up.

Update: I just sprayed a random mini, and it worked fine, the can was much warmer this time, and I shook the can longer. I went on to prime my sniper scouts, and my luck ran out again, the can went empty after half priming them... looks like im going to have to wait a week, since I have to order more primer...

Archived