Counts As BA with wolves detachment

Morticon

I don't see what's "counts as" in here, but I've never understood that term anyways.

I've also thought about Wolves as allies too. Rune Priests are better than Librarians, and Grey Hunters are better than Tactical Marines, so the basics are pure upgrades.

Heavy support brings long fangs, obviously, which improve on our Devastators.

Fast Attack brings Thunderwolf Cavalry, a deathstar that can take out THSS Termies, Paladins, etc. Plus, they're exceptionally mobile, so they can keep up with your BA jumpers.

The problems I've encountered in list building are:

1) Wolf Guard. It's nice to upgrade the GH squads, but then you've got to buy a unit of these. I don't know where to put the rest. Termie Armour with CML could make them an okay stand alone unit, but expensive.

2) Rhinos? A couple of tanks really stand out in an infantry list, but it's the best way to carry GH. Maybe drop pods though? Two for GH, one for a Furioso or Sternguard or DC or something?

3) Cost. Not really a problem, but there's just too much good SW stuff. A list of my favourite things would easily hit 4000

All in all, it's an ally choioce that I'm really leaning towards, after having seen how awesome Divination really is. I want more psykers, and I want to shut down other psykers.

At what point do you just admit you are playing SW with BA allies?

When your fielding the required 1HQ, 2 Troops of BA to get a full detachment of SW allies? :)

I don't see what's "counts as" in here, but I've never understood that term anyways.

I've also thought about Wolves as allies too. Rune Priests are better than Librarians, and Grey Hunters are better than Tactical Marines, so the basics are pure upgrades.

Fast Attack brings Thunderwolf Cavalry, a deathstar that can take out THSS Termies, Paladins, etc. Plus, they're exceptionally mobile, so they can keep up with your BA jumpers.

1) Wolf Guard. It's nice to upgrade the GH squads, but then you've got to buy a unit of these. I don't know where to put the rest. Termie Armour with CML could make them an okay stand alone unit, but expensive.

2) Rhinos? A couple of tanks really stand out in an infantry list, but it's the best way to carry GH. Maybe drop pods though? Two for GH, one for a Furioso or Sternguard or DC or something?

3) Cost. Not really a problem, but there's just too much good SW stuff. A list of my favourite things would easily hit 4000

All in all, it's an ally choioce that I'm really leaning towards, after having seen how awesome Divination really is. I want more psykers, and I want to shut down other psykers.

This is 6th Edition-- WYSIWG is King. The lines have blurred, everything is what you want it to be. Fluffy is as Fluffy does-- the strictness of the past is dust and this edition has let the conversions and flavors blend! Rules are rules, and the models attached to them only need to approximate the size of what they represent.

Example: Wolf Guard Terminators..... well what would Sanguinary Guard look like if they were wearing Terminator suits? Its just that now there's some rules that can explain their eliteness for them now too! Borrowing rules allows for great ideas.

Don't resist it.... it is.... inevitable :)

I dont plan on running allies I will continue to play pure BA, the allies concept is very tempting though. I would love a bag of grenades from the GK book. Looking at how we are talking now and the allies list the way it works tells me that GW have addressed codex creep by throwing open the door to the lolly shop with allies.

I have a 4000 pt DA army and a 3000 pt GK army they are all on the same shelf at home those GK termies and a GK GM were actually my old allies from DA playing days.

For fluff there are plenty of examples of BA and GK fighting alongside each other.

Looking at how we are talking now and the allies list the way it works tells me that GW have addressed codex creep by throwing open the door to the lolly shop with allies.

I think this is really it.

Its going to take a while for me to adjust fully though.

Can't space wolves get 2 hq selections with 1 hq slot?

Yes, they can. That's the reason I wanted to ally with them in the first place. That also means they can get 8 HQ's in a 2500pts list. If they could take 8 Bjorn's I would switch now! :)

Example: Wolf Guard Terminators..... well what would Sanguinary Guard look like if they were wearing Terminator suits? Its just that now there's some rules that can explain their eliteness for them now too! Borrowing rules allows for great ideas.

Don't resist it.... it is.... inevitable :)

so you want all your Sang guard to all have character status/precision strike?

I secretly harbour a burning desire to put a jumpack on a rune preist and take that JOTWW power that drops everything through a crack in the earth with my RAS, In fact I will do it counts as next time I play a space wolves player :rolleyes:

Have you considered adding Arjac(drop pod)? to make them I1 first with his hammer he throws then JotWW them so they have to take a Intiative test roll a 1 or DIE

Pretty soon, actually. Every mech BA list I draw up now is just better as SW, so I mise well make the switch and just take a Librarian and some DC from the BA side of things.

I think our jump troops still make a good core, but if you're putting dudes in boxes, make sure those dudes aren't red

Pretty soon, actually. Every mech BA list I draw up now is just better as SW, so I mise well make the switch and just take a Librarian and some DC from the BA side of things.

I think our jump troops still make a good core, but if you're putting dudes in boxes, make sure those dudes aren't red

I think the single tear on Sanguinius' mask is from your post :)

<_<

I wouldnt go that far. Just want to make use of the incredibly stupid psychic block.

Wait, do they still get the 4+ psychic hood thingie? Surely it must have been something in the errata about that?

Nossiree :(

Hence my comment about inducting them.

Njal even still gets his 3+ :(

And its for ALL powers- even blessing type ones.

Wait, do they still get the 4+ psychic hood thingie? Surely it must have been something in the errata about that?

Nossiree ;)

Njal even still gets his 3+ ;)

Damn those wolves and their FAQ-resistancy! Damn them, damn them to hell! ;) Are they that technically underdeveloped that a FAQ can't change their wooden rune-staffs? Damn. Sometimes, it's hard to be on the bright side of the imperium. :P

Allies? Only a squad of GK when playing deamons, makes sense and I would have done it anyway fof fluff...and only because I already own a box. ;)

Hopefully that Hood/runestaff issue gets fixed quickly! It's a quite unfair advantage.

Snorri

nope the 6th ed faq states 4+ at 24"

Damn those wolves and their FAQ-resistancy! Damn them, damn them to hell! laugh.gif Are they that technically underdeveloped that a FAQ can't change their wooden rune-staffs? Damn. Sometimes, it's hard to be on the bright side of the imperium. tongue.gif

Allies? Only a squad of GK when playing deamons, makes sense and I would have done it anyway fof fluff...and only because I already own a box. msn-wink.gif

Hopefully that Hood/runestaff issue gets fixed quickly! It's a quite unfair advantage.

Snorri

I told you not to fiddle with your hoods now look where your improvements have landed you

We wolves may be stick in muds but sometimes change is bad and doing it the old way is best

Modelling-wise you could go for grey on the BA "hunter" helms. White=priest, yellow=assault, red=Tacs, blue=devs, grey=hunters. Easy to spot and not too out of place.

One could quickly repaint some yellow-helmed foot RAS to get there or magnet some swappable heads.

When you play friendlies or scenarios you can forgo these types of things but if you are a tourny player or want to just play anyone who shows up it isn't a bad idea to have an alt list with a Blood Wolf contingent. Rune Priest, 7 Hunters with PW, PG and standard in a pod, 4-man PA Wolf Guard pack is 357.

At least it is food for thought... guess I might need to score a SW codex.

Nossiree ;)

Njal even still gets his 3+ :lol:

Oh. Thats just wrong. The Eldar, sure, it's their thing and we kick their asses in CC anyways. But the counter-attacking wolves? Nah, that have to be neutered in the next FAQ.

And I just bought me 2 boxes of GK termies to use as allies. I read the entry for the librarians servo-skulls and I liked it. But with 4+ hood still in game, I might have to use the wolves as my Silent Angels instead.

I'm still trying to figure out the best color scheme for a psyker heavy successor to BA. Might be OT, but how are you guys planning of painting your BA furries?

Nossiree ^_^

Njal even still gets his 3+ ;)

Oh. Thats just wrong. The Eldar, sure, it's their thing and we kick their asses in CC anyways. But the counter-attacking wolves? Nah, that have to be neutered in the next FAQ.

Pfft, its what the power of belief does. ;)

i didn't see it mentioned, but, we should remember that none of the units you will be picking from C:SW will have FNP or FC. i'd rather pay 45 for hammernator that is buffed by my SP, than 33 for one with a PW/SB and no buffs.

i'm just saying, a minimal troops choice to get the RP is one thing, going all out will sort of neuter the BA part of your army.

I don't know.. in the gaming circles I play in "counts as" is used for bringing in cool models and using the most appropriate rules for them, like traitor guard, wulfen etc. Using "counts as" just to make a unit that you already have slightly more powerful? (debateable - no FNP/FC, heavy weapon, infernus pistols etc) It smacks of WAAC and leaves a bad taste in people's mouth. Besides it's not like BA aren't competetive without pretending to be space wolves.

I say all this as both a SW and BA player.

I think count is a great way to expand an army without having to buy new models. It is also a way to keep to the fluff of your list. I do a "counts as BA" for my necrons army allies now. Immotech is Sevrin Loth model from FW with a few twist to a fit a new story for the model. Also use Stalker Pattern Boltguns to justify the difference in weapons for the Necron Warrios on scouts.

Archived