Malediction

Kaika87

So if you prefer digital media over physical copies, the new audio drama is out on Black Library's website. Malediction was a rather interesting tale, but ultimately I think the preview description gives too much away, especially for a ~70 minute running time. I think I would have enjoyed it more had aspects of the story not been spoiled for me in the store page description. However, it's still a solid piece I think, and worth the price.

Spoiler thoughts -

I enjoyed how Tigrane is portrayed as heartless and almost cruel in how vindictive he is. Dark Angels have always appealed to me in that they feel like they're always teetering on the edge, having committed more than a few acts that even generously would be called high treason (Black Templar battle barge still "MIA"). Other than that this didn't really feel like a Dark Angel story to me. Although I like how Cypher said "Legion" and not "Chapter."

I picked this up today and I also picked up the Dark Angel short story "Reparation".

Haven't listened to the audio drama, but I did read the short and there was a very cool twist:

Reparation was pretty cool. The story follows a Space Wolf locked in the Gladitorial pits of the Dark Eldar. As time goes by, a Dark Angel is introduced into the combat arena as a gladiator. The ending turns out that the Space Wolf main character is actually an Interrogator-Chaplain, who placed himself in disguise, sacrificed his life, and waited for his opportunity to strike at the Dark Angel, who ends up being a Fallen. Really good reinforcement on just how far the DA will go to fullfill the wishes of the inner circle.

Eh, can't say I enjoyed it.

Cypher's motivations were left unclear, other than being some kind of "champion of the people" up until the arrival of the Dark Angels. It felt more like a PDF (not the file format) story with Dark Angels sprinkled on top to justify the marketing than a Dark Angels story proper. And Tigrane's execution and overall mannerisms made him look like a Sunday cartoon villain; his greatest descriptor was his baldness which reflected the lights? And after that he sits on a crate and gives a How Marines Cope With Loss 101 lesson for the uninitiated? And then he kills a kneeling old man as climax to the book, to show the listener how dark and cruel and ruthless the Legion is (even though it ultimately pushed back the zombie hordes and said old man was dying a slow agonizing death)? And before I forget, the whole "I was trained by Naaman so I can sneak in power armor in a room full of people" bit, eclipsed only by the mention of Cypher in said crowded room. Still, it had DAs being :cusss and nigh-traitors towards fellow Imperials, so I guess it appeals to some people...

Yea, I will definitely agree with it feeling more like a PDF story than a Dark Angel story. Other than that, I dunno, I liked it, but maybe I'm just grasping at whatever love DA can get from BL these days.

It all sounds rather disappointing. I would have hoped for better from Christian Dunn... :(

I think I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to listen to it for myself though. Still, it isnt sounding promising and at £8.50 I have to question whether or not I really want to waste the money. :)

• 1 month later...
After listening to this. I'm still wondering where they are going with Cypher. If you go by some older stuff, he went Chaos but now he is showing up just before the chapter and organizes the line. Hmmm.............

Archived