Playing Battletech using Warhammer 40,000

dswanick

So - Most army-wide rules have been FAQ/Erratta'd to prevent Allied forces from benefitting from them by adding in a "units selected from Codex: X get special rule Y". One special rule I haven't seen get this treatment is the Master of the Forge's Lord of the Armoury rule which allows Dreadnoughts in your army to be selected as Elites and Heavy Support. This should include an Allied Detachment, then, correct?

Lord of the Armoury:

If you include a Master of the Forge in your army, Dreadnoughts, Venerable Dreadnoughts and Ironclad Dreadnoughts may be taken as Heavy Support choices as well as Elites choices

If so, a C:SM army could consist of a Master of the Forge, a Bjorn the Fell Hand (SW HQ Dreadnought), 3+1 Elite Dreadnoughts, and 3+1 Heavy Support Dreadnoughts - for a grand total of 9 Dreadnoughts in a <2,000pt list.

I haven't found any limiters like on the SC special rules, so yep the MotF's ability spreads to allies as well.

This seems to be pretty easy to do, with two scout squads and whatever cheap Troops the Wolves have.

I want to see it happen! :D

... for a grand total of 9 Dreadnoughts in a <2,000pt list.

Can't Blood Angels do this, or at least get close, already?

Well, BA can get Dreads in both Elite and Heavy Support - but they can't get Ironclads and their Elites are Furioso only. Grey Knight can do it, too. With Vens in the Elites slot and regular Dreads in the Heavy Support slot, but no Ironclads. But otherwise, yes, they can field a 9 Dread list like this and without needing the Master of the Forge.

Well, they have blender dreads, which I think trump ironclads in a few ways. Plus they can take some as Troops!

Hmm, yeah - good point.

So, unless there's a Special IC which allows multiple Death Companies, BA can field -

Bjorn - Allied HQ Dread

30 DC - Troops

+ 6 DC Dreads

3+1 Elites Dread

3+1 Heavy Support Dread

15 Dread total...

• 1 month later...
So, unless there's a Special IC which allows multiple Death Companies...
Astorath much?

Anyways:

Astorath

BA librarian with shield.

6 Furiosos

6 Regular Dreads

50 death company

10 DC Dreads

Allies

Bjorn

5 grey hunters

Space wolf dread.

4400pts.

But that is with the BA codex.

With C:SM you can get 12 dreads at 2000pts with a MotF.

I love the dread army. My Omega Marines are in progress, 6dreads at 1500, hopefully, bulking out with Bjorn and another at 2000.

Plus they can take some as Troops!

Just a small side-note here, but in order to take the Death Co. Dread (which is a Troop choice) you need to take a Death Company unit (which is also a Troop choice) per Death Co. Dread. A small limitation...but if you mean to spam them, you need to take Astorath. The larger limitation is that they're all costly and can't score.

EDIT: clarification

Just a small side-note here, but in order to take the Death Co. Dread (which is a Troop choice) you need to take a Death Company unit (which is also a Troop choice) per Death Co. Dread. A small limitation...but if you mean to spam them, you need to take Astorath. The larger limitation is that they're all costly and can't score.

I thought the rule stated that for every 5 Death Company marines you can take a DC dread? So you only need on DC unit, right?

I thought the rule stated that for every 5 Death Company marines you can take a DC dread? So you only need on DC unit, right?

Actually two. A Death Company can be up to 30 models, which will support up to 6 Dreads. So you need two DC to fill the 10 available slots in two FOCs.

OK, so in order to maximize the number of dreads in a force you need :

1 Astorath (BA, 1st Primary Detachment)

1 other HQ (BA, 2nd Primary Detachment)

1 Master of the Forge (SM, 1st Allied Detachment)

1 Bjorn the Fellhand (SW, 2nd Allied Detachment)

2 25-man Death Company (BA, PD Troops)

4 other Troops (2 BA, 1 SM, 1 SW)

Which gives you

1 Headquarters Dread (SW)

8 Elite Dreads (6 BA, 1 SM, 1 SW)

10 Troops Dreads (all BA)

8 Heavy Support Dreads (6 BA, 1 SM, 1 SW)

5,500pts for

10 DC w/2X Blood Fists

6 Furioso w/Frag Cannon and Blood Fist

7 Rifleman w/TLLascannon and TLAutocannon

1 Ironclad w/2X Hunter-Killers

1 Bjorn

2 Venerable w/Wolftooth Necklace and Wolf Tail Talisman

Your second allied detachment has to be from the same codex as the first, unfortunately, so you cannot have both Bjorn and the MotF :(

I'll double check the BRB when I get home from work, but I'm pretty sure it says that the second Primary Detachment must be the same Codex as the first but says nothing about Allied detachments...

I stand corrected - both Allied detachments must also be from the same Codex. :(

The ideal list is as follows

Astorath

Librarian

Furioso x 6

DC x 25

DC x 25

DC Dread x 10

Dreadnought x 6

GK Grand Master

GK Grand Master

2 Ven Dreads

2 Heavy Dread

2 Strike Squads

That should give you 26 Dreadnoughts and 6 scoring units with just the grey knights

Archived