Vulkan, Dev 4xMulti-melta, eh? eh?

Laughingdagger

Its a thought. Never been much of a fan with how short ranged they were combined with being entirely static.

Really a good thought perhaps with a Drop Pod army... dont even need a 275pt logan to make it happen either.

You end up forking too many points into mobile MM units which will do a worse job than other, more mobile MM platforms. I don't think it's a wise investment to be honest.

As a Drop Podding attack force it isn't useless because you only have the single turn of BS1 and after that can remain stationary. Don't build your list with the intention of moving forward and Snap Firing with Devastators, it'll end badly!

You end up forking too many points into mobile MM units which will do a worse job than other, more mobile MM platforms. I don't think it's a wise investment to be honest.

As a Drop Podding attack force it isn't useless because you only have the single turn of BS1 and after that can remain stationary. Don't build your list with the intention of moving forward and Snap Firing with Devastators, it'll end badly!

If the idea is intended to move all of the time, I would agree. But snapshooting does give a unit the option to move if necessary and still be a threat (combined with Vulkan, thet threat effectively doubles, too). Devastators are also far more durable than the other multi-melta platforms (with the exception of the Land Raider). Combining the snapshoot option with Vulkan's re-rolls would allow a multi-melta equipped Dev Squad to serve as an effective fire-support platform.

I would not immediately dismiss the concept. I think it may warrant some playtesting.

Ah for sure, there is a potential advantage to be had from moving sometimes and still being able to fire such powerful weapons, but I still think it's got limited uses aside from a very few circumstances. I have learnt to withdraw my units away from trouble now, so there is scope for that here too and still being able to fire.

Ah for sure, there is a potential advantage to be had from moving sometimes and still being able to fire such powerful weapons, but I still think it's got limited uses aside from a very few circumstances. I have learnt to withdraw my units away from trouble now, so there is scope for that here too and still being able to fire.

Hitting on 6's with a reroll is slightly better than straight hittin on 5's, statistically. *shrugs* So a little less than what you get from scout snipers... and a pretty good chance of atleast one of the 4 hitting each turn.

I honestly think that the melta obsession is finally going to fade down a bit, and Vulkan along with it (thank god, getting tired of seeing him crop up in so many lists) as there are more and more things coming out that ignore melta, and then theres the fact that pens are no longer critical for destroying vehicles. Not that it's going away, it's just not the end-all-be-all it used to be.

MM on infantry has always been about area denial imo. you park one in an annoying spot to keep vehicles at bay. If you want to walk around and shoot big guns you're better off going with a auto-cannon dread which can hang back.

The short range requirement means melta is much better if you're going to use it with drop and assault troops.

If you want Deep Striking Multi-Melta in a Vulkan list, just use Land Speeders

A hardcore salamanders fan would not use many of those though. The OPs idea is imo a great fluffy alternative.

Vulkan is not just used by WAAC players you know.

A hardcore salamanders fan would not use many of those though. The OPs idea is imo a great fluffy alternative.

AMEN why is it that everyone is WAAC?!? I play for fun and am building a list around fluff. I just am at a loss of picking my assault weapon. Flamer or Meltagun!?!? Multimeltas or the more viable long ranged missile launcher option? I prefer the Multimelta just because its more fluff related. Flamer or meltagun is where I have an issue im lost which do I choose for my tactical squads? I know my devistators will be the HeavyBolters and Missile launchers? My Dreadnoughts build just like the black reach ones with the Multimelta and heavy flamer! Rerolls baby! I want to play for fun and fluff If I loose 100 straight before I win once I'm cool with it as long as it was fun allong the way.

In a tactical discussion of 40K it isn't "Win at all costs" to suggest the most effective option. If a player stipulates he wants to build a fluffy representation of his chosen army and that means not taking X or taking Y, then that's what advice will be focussed on. However, there ARE better options available sometimes.

So lets cool our jets as it is an insult to call a poster a WAAC player just for posting a valid suggestion.

I'm with Bannus. A Dev firebase with twin-linked Multi-meltas is more durable than a Vindicator and almost as good at shutting down things like Paladins and Biker Nobs within their range. Stick them in a Bolstered Ruin and play Way of the Earth Warrior. <3

Particularly if they end up being scoring.....which mission is it that has scoring Heavy Support units? The Scouring?....can't remember!

Yep, scoring twin-linked multi-melta devastators! Nice! :)

Particularly if they end up being scoring.....which mission is it that has scoring Heavy Support units? The Scouring?....can't remember!

Yep, scoring twin-linked multi-melta devastators! Nice! :)

Big Guns Never Tire, I do believe.

AMEN why is it that everyone is WAAC?!? I play for fun and am building a list around fluff. I just am at a loss of picking my assault weapon. Flamer or Meltagun!?!? Multimeltas or the more viable long ranged missile launcher option? I prefer the Multimelta just because its more fluff related. Flamer or meltagun is where I have an issue im lost which do I choose for my tactical squads? I know my devistators will be the HeavyBolters and Missile launchers? My Dreadnoughts build just like the black reach ones with the Multimelta and heavy flamer! Rerolls baby! I want to play for fun and fluff If I loose 100 straight before I win once I'm cool with it as long as it was fun allong the way.

Who said anything about win at all costs? I'm simply saying that if you want mobile multi-melta, Devastators aren't it, regardless of snap fire and Vulkan's Chapter Tactics (which, incidentally, I never use).

Much rather just put the 4x MM on land speeders or attack bikes. More durable, much more mobile and probably comparable points. At the end of the day, devstators are just vanilla marines when it comes to taking hits.

Who said anything about win at all costs? I'm simply saying that if you want mobile multi-melta, Devastators aren't it, regardless of snap fire and Vulkan's Chapter Tactics (which, incidentally, I never use).

I think he was referring to my comment that I'm tired of seeing Vulkan crop up in so many lists. Maybe it's WAAC, maybe it's not, but the fact of the matter is that he cropped up so often in lists (and most often as a 'counts as' non salamander) that it was getting a bit repetitive. His rules were very good and too hard for many people to pass up.

If you play salamanders, awesome. If you play him as 'counts as', fine, just don't delude yourself as to why you're taking him.

PS: you should try out combat tactics...it's nasty, especially on devs. just dont let them kill your guns.

If you play salamanders, awesome. If you play him as 'counts as', fine, just don't delude yourself as to why you're taking him.

I admit that, perhaps secretly, I share this sentiment. Not every single Salamander's detachment has Vulkan in it. The chapter is at least 1000 marines strong and each detachment weighs in at 50 to 100 marines. So yea...how is Vulkan with every single detachment?

Vulkan does not make your list Salamanders. Do you know what does? Green paint. <3

/rant

That said, try it out anyway. :)

I admit that, perhaps secretly, I share this sentiment. Not every single Salamander's detachment has Vulkan in it. The chapter is at least 1000 marines strong and each detachment weighs in at 50 to 100 marines. So yea...how is Vulkan with every single detachment?

Well, it wasn't my idea to tie Chapter Tactics to the Special Character. If I had it my way, I would make it an option for the army.

No, not every detachment should have Vulkan - but should every detachment without Vulkan forget how to fight according to their Chapter doctrine?

Dumb idea.

Well, it wasn't my idea to tie Chapter Tactics to the Special Character. If I had it my way, I would make it an option for the army.

No, not every detachment should have Vulkan - but should every detachment without Vulkan forget how to fight according to their Chapter doctrine?

Dumb idea.

I always figured the fluff explanation was that the Salamanders had some of their fancy flamers and meltas, and some normal ones. They only brought out the nice ones when Vulkan was around, just like you only bring out your nice dishes when the people who gave them to you as wedding gifts come over for dinner.

I always figured the fluff explanation was that the Salamanders had some of their fancy flamers and meltas, and some normal ones. They only brought out the nice ones when Vulkan was around, just like you only bring out your nice dishes when the people who gave them to you as wedding gifts come over for dinner.

Then why are they called CHAPTER Tactics? :D

Archived