Vulkan, Dev 4xMulti-melta, eh? eh?

Laughingdagger

The MMs have a shortish range which is already a restriction. Then you must hit them, which even with TL is not entirely very easy (the signum rule still needs to be FAQd though). And let's say that you hit them, you still have to cause some damage. Against Scythes, not too tall an order.. but against Valks a bit harder. Let's not forget that to my knowledge all fliers have 3 HPs.

And let's not forget that you'd have to buy Vulkan who is expensive, then the Dev Squads who are also very expensive. This considering that you could simple get 3 rifle dreads, which while they have -1 Str have much longer range and are much cheaper.

Even in 2k points Vulkan + 3 Devs would be too much of a point sink, that leaves you with around 1k points left (off the top of my head) to fill out troops, elites and FA.

Of course I haven't tried it, but that's just my opinion.

TL;DR: Vulkan+3 Devs is expensive and inefficient at taking down flyers.

(the signum rule still needs to be FAQd though)

No, it doesn't. The player whose turn it is decides in what order any modifiers apply. So in your own turn, you would naturally have the signum modifier apply after snap-fire - so one Multi-melta would hit at BS5 (and still twin-linked!), while the other three would be at BS1 (twin-linked).

In overwatch (during your opponent's turn), he will likely decide to have the snap-fire rules apply after the signum - no BS5 Multi-melta in that shooting phase! ;)

Like I said, it is a good, durable unit that can stand its ground - but is no longer crippled and is still quite viable when it moves. Naturally, if you want to move and shoot all the time, there are better platforms. But this unit could fill a niche quite nicely.

I'm a little surprised that no one's mentioned a Librarian with Endurance being a possible addition to the equation. While it's random, you've got a 1/3 chance of getting it, and with Endurance you've got one chance to make them relentless, making the snap fire a back up option that keeps them somewhat viable if you don't roll it up or fail to cast it. And Libby powers in Biomancy are generally useful anyway.

(the signum rule still needs to be FAQd though)

No, it doesn't.

It's far from decisive at this point. No final call till it's FAQed.

"If a model has a combination of rules or wargear that modify a characteristic, first apply any multipliers, then apply any additions or subtractions, and finally apply any set values."

"When these things happen, the player whose turn it is decides the order in which the events occur."

So, snap-firing on your turn results in BS5 (first apply BS1, then apply BS5), while snap-firing in your opponent's turn will more likely result in BS1 (apply BS5, then apply BS1). Being assaulted, for instance.

I'm a little surprised that no one's mentioned a Librarian with Endurance being a possible addition to the equation. While it's random, you've got a 1/3 chance of getting it, and with Endurance you've got one chance to make them relentless, making the snap fire a back up option that keeps them somewhat viable if you don't roll it up or fail to cast it. And Libby powers in Biomancy are generally useful anyway.

I'm a bit reluctant to rely on random powers as part of any tactical advise. But that is just me.

I'm a bit reluctant to rely on random powers as part of any tactical advise. But that is just me.

I suppose the advise is more, use a Librarian because he's useful, and with luck it makes that unit better. :)

So, snap-firing on your turn results in BS5 (first apply BS1, then apply BS5), while snap-firing in your opponent's turn will more likely result in BS1 (apply BS5, then apply BS1). Being assaulted, for instance.

Unless your BS never gets 'modified' by the Snapfire rules (book says "is counted as" not "becomes" or "sets"), but instead treats it as BS1 in the same way that Powerfists treats your attacks as I1 without making your character I1. That's where the argument is stuck until we get an official word on it. There's a lively bajillion page thread over in rules discussing the finer points.

Archived