BT allies + EC

The Black Templars FaQ includes a question about the Emperor's Champion:

Q. Can I field more than one Emperor's Champion? (p31)

A. You can only have one Emperor's Champion per primary detachment chosen from Codex: Black Templars.

From that I take that if there is no primary detachment of Black Templars, then you cannot use an Emperor's Champion at all.

A. You can only have one Emperor's Champion per primary detachment chosen from Codex: Black Templars.

From that I take that if there is no primary detachment of Black Templars, then you cannot use an Emperor's Champion at all.

+1

However, you can take 2 EC's above 2K and have 2 vows that everyone benefits from ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree.

This passage compliments the one in BT Codex, saying that EVERY force of 750+ pts has to take an EC. The passage you quoted only states that there's one EC per primary detachment. You get two primary detachments in 2000+ games, therefore technically you can have two ECs, whose two separate vows will affect the whole BT force. It essentially means two crusades meeting on a single battlefield, which is not that much unheard of.

TL;DR - if your BT Allied force is 750+ pts., it has to include an EC, because it has to deploy itself in accordance with the BT Codex.

It needs to be recognized that the entire 'Chosen of the Emperor' entry refers to a Black Templar army. The entire paragraph has this context. If a player's primary detachment determines their army ("I'm a Blood Angel army" for example), and an allied detachment does not ("with Black Templar allies"), then the 'Chosen of the Emperor' entry does not come into play when Black Templars are taken as allies because the player is not fielding a 'Black Templar army.'

So, for BT as allies, we ignore the 'Chosen of the Emperor' entry. This means that the EC does fulfill the necessary HQ slot and the EC does not have to be taken for armies of 750+pts (meaning you can take a BT Commander or Chaplain without an EC). As an ally, the EC works like any regular ole HQ choice.

Here's a lengthier argument of the above from a few days ago: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=3127771

Archived