Ezekial Crowe - Rebooted!

Hi again,

I know I said I'd be doing more models based on the Warhammer books, however I recently bought the new 6th edition rulebooks and decided that even though I like painting more than playing... I'm going to do an actual full army, so I thought why not go the whole hog and remake my chapter master (Fabricator)!

My "old" version of him can be found here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...06&hl=Crowe

The colour scheme will most likely be very similar, if not the same as the old version, but with the new model I think it's going to look even better.

---

The new version is using the "Dark Angels Chapter Master" body, with a Hooded Grey Knight (I think) head that I had in my bag o'heads, and I pinched the entire Servo Harness from my Techmarine that's been in it's box for god-knows how many months.

Sorry for the large and a little out of focus pictures, but here we go... I hope you like. It may take me a few weeks to fully finish him, however I'm going to put more effort than usual into this one as he's the leader of my force. I know I could get better pictures, but I'll do that for the finished model. This was more an "Oh I'm excited to get onto this!".

Base - Going for a double-layered base, going to put a grass/sand-covering on here so it's like he's on a rock on a small hillock or dune. Next pucture is of something he's protecting there.

gallery_66334_7484_26337.jpg

Base Fluff - Teleporter Beacon for his Orbital Facilities. Terminators, Orbital Strikes, Drop Pods, he's protecting the beacon to get his troops to battle!

gallery_66334_7484_173171.jpg

Servo-Harness - The main core of any Techmarine or Forgefather. As the "Forge Master" of Jupiter's Orbital Forges he's as much an ever-working servant of the Machine God; when he's not leading his troops to victory, he's putting the finishing touches on weapons, armour and other such well-crafted devices.

gallery_66334_7484_155964.jpg

Body and Head - As much as I want to get rid of the pattern on the cloak, I don't feel comfortable spending all the time scraping it all off and risking full-on injury of the model itself. I've decided that I'll just go with the pattern in Silver and Bronze so that it fits my theme, and the Servo-Harness will cover most of it anyway. I'm considering removing the skull on the sword hilt and replacing it with a Servo-Skull, but I need to take a dig through my bits box to find one and see if it'll not look too out of place.

gallery_66334_7484_334630.jpg

---

As usual, any comments, feedback or out-right "Blah that sucks!" is appreciated... also any suggestions for things I could do to it to make it even cooler would be even more appreciated. I won't be able to get around to doing much with him this week as I'll be working a lot, but hopefully before the end of the month he'll be sorted.

Thanks for looking guys!

- J.F.

---

More work has been done, but I'm taking my time as I a) don't want to fudge it up, and ^_^ get more practice painting other minis before getting round to this one.

What I've started today is to clean off the Dark Angel symbol on the cloak. Sat here for a while with a bowl of hot water and my hobby knife cutting and scraping away and it's going well... however my finger is getting sore from the metal grip, going to finish the rest later after a rest for that finger.

Here's the front, I wanted to keep the purity seal so I worked around that and it looks like it's gone ok!

gallery_66334_7484_138747.jpg

Now for the back; this is really irritating due to the folds of the cloak. This is what I'm going back to fix a little later on. Though there are a few little bits that I can ignore as they'll be hidden by the backpack... cheating, but makes it less likely that I hack it up too much.

gallery_66334_7484_1304607.jpg

---

Now, time for the big decision and I'd love some input from people about it as I'm torn in two directions.

Do I go with the Servo Harness that I've already shown, or do I go with a Conversion Beamer?

The one I have comes from the forgeworld model Valthex, shown here:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/valthex1ev.jpg

So... which would be better for a "Counts As" Chapter Master of the Forge; the Harness or the Beamer? It can be a fluff reason, a game-rules reason, or even an aesthetic reason. Personally I'd love to troll-around and convert it so that one of the harness-arms had the beamer on it, but I need just one or the other so my other Techmarine can take it!

Nice choice of model and great promise on the base! I look forward to seeing it come together.

Tangent, but it's crazy that we have the same DIY chapter name. It's not like it's THAT common or anything haha

I came up with the idea while in a "Right, I want Mechanicus style marines... Mars is too mainstream (Hipsters of the Galaxy!)... Jupiter... It says there's Orbital Forges... I'll be having some of that!".

I guess you could say "Great minds think alike", haha. Though I'm not really basing mine on the Roman theme of "Jupiter", mine is just because they come from the Orbital Forges there and the possibilities of that are something I like. :)

The actual marines of the army are going to be split into two types; normal "Sons of Juputer", and then the "Iron Wolves"; which are going to more be more of an assault-based part of the chapter, but a bit "outside" it. Still trying to think all the fluff through; as the chapter isn't based on the geneseed/successors of just one chapter, it's more a "Oh look, this Iron Hands seed is spare... We'll take that, oh and is that some Space Wolf? I think we'll be having that too!". One of the main Techmarines in my fluff is even a Crimson Fists one (if only for the fact I'm cannibalizing Kantor's Dorn's Arrow for it).

That's the one thing I like about GWS story/fluff... unless it's completely wacko-crazy like "Chaos Space Marines Redeemed and working alongside the Inquisition", then it's pretty much easy enough to find a reason for odd-armies.

Arkhan, thanks... hopefully it'll be even better than the one I did before painting-wise. The base is going to be a little problem as I've never really bothered basing my models as I'm very lazy. I may even go out and find a few actual real pebbles to put around the middle one (which if I remember is from some forgeworld special character model-base), then base sand around it as much as I can.

As I said, I'll hopefully have it finished <at some point in the future> so when I do I'll pop a post in the Hall of Honour!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I decided to make another step and completely undercoat what's going to be on the model. I tried something a little different with my undercoating, used a pretty heavy-watered down Deneb Stone that didn't really cover too well so there's like 1.5 coats of it on there... but it ended up good enough for a base-coat. Still trying to figure out what colours I want for him, so will be muddling around with the BaC Space Marine painter to find one I like. Needs to be a kind of neutral tone; going to be metalic or mechanicus style colous.

I think the removal of the Cloak-Symbols went pretty well, not perfect but it's the first time I've ever really done something like that. It looks a little rough around the back,but that;s going to be covered up by the ma-hoooooo-sive Conversion Beamer. Decided to use that as he's a Master of the Forge.

Hope you like.

gallery_66334_7484_1549378.jpg

• 1 month later...

Next update is not too big, but it forms a substantial part of the overall model.

I may need to do some more work on it, I was thinking some more highlighting or even some OSL (but I've never done that so it would be a very big test).

gallery_66334_7484_430934.jpg

I've also just given the model a bit of a wash. I know sometimes it makes no difference to do this before the main colours, but if it's in all the dark places and cloak recesses I think it's going to come out pretty good.

gallery_66334_7484_368259.jpg

After this I'll be doing the deep colours on the cloak and armour; trying to decide whether to go "metallic with red washing" or " red with highlighting" (like my Genator model).

Any comments, criticism or ideas on it would be appreciated.

++| URGENT INTERSTELLAR MESSAGE: By the command of the High Lords of Terra all Imperial Forces are hereby ordered to cease production of Wargerar for the Sons of Jupiter Space Marine Chapter. All Non-Mechanicus Forces stationed on the Jupiter-Forge are commanded to return to Blessed Terra without delay; to begin refitting the Strike-Cruiser class Flagship "The Wind of Fortune" and the repair and reconstruction of the Crimson Castellan Battlefleet. Failure to abide by this command will be met with swift justice. MESSAGE ENDS |++

((This is my way of saying... the Sons of Jupiter are on HOLD. They are being shelved while I work on the Crimson Castellans, hopefully I'll get round to them or do some whenever I want a change, however for now I'm really digging working on a Chapter that's "Official yet Light on Information" and building my own ideas around the sparse information already available. This Ezekial Crowe model will be absorbed into the Castellans, becoming the basis for their Chapter Master "Lord Korealon, Grand-Admiral of the Fleet" and will be losing "half" of his Conversion Beamer. The beamer-End will be re-modelled onto my Master of the Forge model for the Castellans, while the Backpack will be modeled to include a side-mounted bolter-holder/sheath, as he's not holding any ranged weapon, like a boss, he's going to have one on his backpack. Think a more tech-version of the new chaos-backpack where there's a tentacle reloading the bolter. Thank you all for following Ezekial, but he will be back to his old model which I've shown on here before. All Hail Korealon!))

The Castellans can be located on this same WIP board here and there will be updates whenever I make them: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...260300&st=0

Archived