Disembarking from Flyers

Acebaur

So looking at the rules for Transports and Flyers it would seem that you can disembark from a flyer that is in Zoom mode if it has not moved yet that turn. Am I correct in this? Doesn't seem like this should be possible but I can't find anything that says you can't do it.

I have this vision of assault marines leaping from a storm eagle's rear ramp :lol:

Page 80, sentence right above "Zooming, Tank shock and Ramming"

Zoom works like an on/off switch, once you start zooming, you stay in "zoom mode" until you switch it off. So you can disembark, and then start zooming, or you can switch to hover, then disembark, but whatever you choose lasts the whole round so you cant, say...zoom the previous turn, then say that you're hovering, then zoom again. if you hover, you keep hovering till that turn elapses. Basically, if you wanna drop your dudes off, you're open to fire.

... whatever you choose lasts the whole round so you cant, say...zoom the previous turn, then say that you're hovering, then zoom again. if you hover, you keep hovering till that turn elapses. Basically, if you wanna drop your dudes off, you're open to fire.

But surely in Turn 2 it can Zoom, then in Turn 3 it can Hover, then in Turn 4 it can Zoom again? I don't read anything that stops this. I agree that you have to pick one for the whole turn though.

Also, if the unit inside disembarks before the flyer has moved, surely the flyer can then decide to Zoom?

In the rules it doesn't say anything about zoom or hover lasting a turn. You stay in whatever mode you chose till you choose again. So you come on the board in zoom, you are in zoom till you choose to move, than you must pick zoom or hover. So even if you wanted to disembark a unit before you moved your flyer, it would still be in the mode it was last turn.

make sure to make the distinction between turn and round. A round is your turn and your opponent's turn.

You decide your "mode" when you move the flyer, and you dont get to decide again until your next turn (one round)

Whatever mode you choose at the beginning of your movement will affect how you move for flat-out and also determines how the enemy fires at you during their turn.

You can't, for example, move onto the board by hovering, disembark your squad, then decide you're zooming during the shooting phase for "flat out" so you get the "hard to hit" bonus.

As far as SR/Valk air drop is concerned...it only specifies flat out, doesnt it? I would presume that means no, since it doesnt clearly overrule the Zooming ban on disembarking, and it hasnt been FAQed.

As far as SR/Valk air drop is concerned...it only specifies flat out, doesnt it? I would presume that means no, since it doesnt clearly overrule the Zooming ban on disembarking, and it hasnt been FAQed.

It has been FAQ'd to read:

Page 38 – Stormraven Gunships, Skies of Blood.

Change the first sentence to read: “If the Stormraven has

moved more than 6", passengers can still disembark, but they

must do so as follows.”

Change the penultimate sentence to read: “If any of the

models cannot be deployed the unit is destroyed”.

Worth noting too: the Valkyrie doesn't get the same buff.

I think we seem to be missing a fundamental point here, it doesnt seem to say anywhere that you can not disembark from a Flier?

So, what is preventing you from zooming on, and then in turn 3 disembarking, and then zooming off? Thoughts?

I think we seem to be missing a fundamental point here, it doesnt seem to say anywhere that you can not disembark from a Flier?

So, what is preventing you from zooming on, and then in turn 3 disembarking, and then zooming off? Thoughts?

It says it at the bottom of the Zoom paragraph on page 80. I missed it too as it's kind of casually in there in a "oh by the way " sort of sentence.

Archived