Allied Detachments Question

So, a quick question as I sit here with ideas stewing in my head due to 6th edition....what if you played Chaos Daemons or Imperial Guard and chose Chaos Space Marines as the allied detachment? Do the lesser summoned daemons rules for not counting against the force organization chart still apply? So say, take a Daemon Prince, a unit of Berserkers and then 4 squads of lesser daemons along with a huge host of guardsmen, would this be legal? Just a thought.

So, a quick question as I sit here with ideas stewing in my head due to 6th edition....what if you played Chaos Daemons or Imperial Guard and chose Chaos Space Marines as the allied detachment? Do the lesser summoned daemons rules for not counting against the force organization chart still apply? So say, take a Daemon Prince, a unit of Berserkers and then 4 squads of lesser daemons along with a huge host of guardsmen, would this be legal? Just a thought.
I wouldn't see anything wrong with it as per for FOC, but you're wasting your points. People didn't even take the herp-a-derp daemons as adversaries of the Daemonhunters during 3rd edition, because the regular Chaos daemons were so much better.

I'm not sure you can field allied summoned daemons at all. The ally rules pretty clearly give you access to particular slot choices, none of which lesser daemons count as. CSM armies can field them without using slots, but you're not fielding a CSM army, you're fielding a Daemon army with CSM allies.

I could be wrong about that, though. Shouldn't matter for long, rumor has the upcoming CSM book removing daemons (apart from possessed, princes, etc) completely.

I'm not sure you can field allied summoned daemons at all. The ally rules pretty clearly give you access to particular slot choices, none of which lesser daemons count as. CSM armies can field them without using slots, but you're not fielding a CSM army, you're fielding a Daemon army with CSM allies.

I could be wrong about that, though. Shouldn't matter for long, rumor has the upcoming CSM book removing daemons (apart from possessed, princes, etc) completely.

You can absolutely field summoned daemons, they might not take up a slot on the FOC, but they're treated as a Troops unit in all other regards. Those bad boys can even cap objectives. Of course, you'd have to be extra careful with the icon in those 'zerkers Dakarth mentioned, since the prince doesn't have a personal icon, loss the one those guys are carrying and any summoned daemons that are yet to arrive are destroyed.

You can absolutely field summoned daemons, they might not take up a slot on the FOC, but they're treated as a Troops unit in all other regards. Those bad boys can even cap objectives. Of course, you'd have to be extra careful with the icon in those 'zerkers Dakarth mentioned, since the prince doesn't have a personal icon, loss the one those guys are carrying and any summoned daemons that are yet to arrive are destroyed.

I wonder what the ruling will be on Daemon Chaos Icons in regards to Summoned Lesser Daemons. It REALLY depends on how anal one takes into account that the Icons are spelled just a LITTLE differently.

So, I'd say dangerous in IG, not too bad with Daemons (hey, they're cheap!)

I doubt there will be any such ruling if there isn't already. By the time such a ruling gets released, the new chaos marine book will be out and there will be no summoned daemons.

I doubt there will be any such ruling if there isn't already. By the time such a ruling gets released, the new chaos marine book will be out and there will be no summoned daemons.

That is one rumor regarding Daemons in Codex: Chaos Marines.

Just rumors are probably not true, so you should tell everyone you know.

Archived