the fallen...

Well ive been trying to build a fluffy fallen angel army for a few years now. Ive amassed a pretty good collection of stuff and ive painted everything in the old legion colors. About 6k worth of models.

I would assume that it would be like the legion style of AOE but the fluff says the fallen are few and scattered through time and space. So large 20 man tactical squads seemes a little unfluffy even if all the fallen are legionnaires. Not to mention the HH books depict the 1st legion as more assault marine knights not standard tacticals.

My question is what would constitute a fluffy fallen army?

Do I take a few marines and lots of guard or go the 3rd ed route?

Im not asking for army lists. I'm just curious as to what is the fluffiest way a fallen army would be fielded

Well ive been trying to build a fluffy fallen angel army for a few years now. Ive amassed a pretty good collection of stuff and ive painted everything in the old legion colors. About 6k worth of models.

I would assume that it would be like the legion style of AOE but the fluff says the fallen are few and scattered through time and space. So large 20 man tactical squads seemes a little unfluffy even if all the fallen are legionnaires. Not to mention the HH books depict the 1st legion as more assault marine knights not standard tacticals.

My question is what would constitute a fluffy fallen army?

Do I take a few marines and lots of guard or go the 3rd ed route?

Im not asking for army lists. I'm just curious as to what is the fluffiest way a fallen army would be fielded

Too bad the Lost & the Damned rules, from the Eye of Terror days, aren't still around. But, you're not looking for an army list so...

My thoughts are they could be used like Deathwatch (There's even fluff in the Deathwatch RPG of a Fallen rising in their ranks):

If Loyalist then use small squads or leading squads of other renegade marines (it works for Huron Blackheart & his mercs)

If Heretic then use small squads or leading squads of chaos marines

Same principle with any non-PA ally.

Closest you could get here at B&C (PA-only remember) and stay fluffy would be something Inquisitional.

I always thought the Alpha Legion rules were the best option to represent a Fallen force. A few Fallen marines instigating a large rabble of humans for their own purposes. Maybe when the new Chaos Codex comes out we can use this option again.

in my opinion, if you want it to be "fluffy", there shouldn't be more than 5 fallen in the army (anymore would much more easily attract the attention of a combined Unforgiven assault). They would be leading another army though...

What you usually read in stories about fallen is that they corrupted some planet and took control before the Dark Angels find out and lay siege to the planet.

Gamewise I agree with both Cypher 102 and Archangel, either a Deathwatch squad 'leading' another army whether it be Imperial Guard or some group of Space Marines. You could also use them as the sergeants in squads... bonus being them getting some better stats/gear options aswell.

Or when possible again present them as Alpha Legion, leading large groups of humans (painted as loyal Imperial Guard would be best I guess).

Basically you can go lots of different ways with them. I myself picture them as still being 'loyal' or count-as anyway, Dark Angels having some of the purest geneseed and all, their bodies shouldn't easily be corrupted. But that doesn't stop you from using them as a squad of 'chosen' in a CSM army if you desire.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Well ive been tossing around some ideas on how to best represent the fallen on the table. The fallen should be few and kinda bad ass. I've been looking through a few codexes for some candidates that could work but still be turni legal.

with the new allies rule my minimum requirements are 1hq and 1 troop.

My main force would most likely be IG, CSM, or one of the SM armys.

IG: is probly the most likely army that a fallen angel or angels would infíltrate and control. The regular humans look at an astarties as royalty. It is not uncommon for space marines during times of turmoil to take over control of a planets armies.

Chaos marines: are also a good possibility. Some of the fallen were corrupted by the dark gods like Luther. and with a possible codex release kind of soon. Maybe. they could soon be a strong army again.

Renegade marines: again a good possibility. they could be pirates or mercs or even loyalist. Since not all of the fallen are evil chaos scum. It is possible that some of them are still loyal to the emperor. may have banded with other ronin marines. This choise has a lot of possibilities with any of pa codexes to pull from.

The fallen themselves... I want to run them as DA but with our current dex they don't seem to fit. They should be vets and the only vets we can take as troops are terminators. I just dont see the fallen having much access to terminator armor. The lion would have taken all of them with him during the crusades. The power armor vets might be a good choice but you can't take them as troops. Tactical s and bikes are too weak to properly represent them.

The wolves and c:sm dont really have any good options for a counts as fallen.

BT might but I dont have that codex and won't buy one until they get an update.

GK wont work as they are all psykers and I don't think they fit the fluff.

BA might actually work. With sanguinary guard and death company both able to be taken as troops either could be a good counts as fallen troops. Im leaning tward d-comp with all their special rules(furious charge, relentless, FNP, black rage and sgt. stats) and the USR change of rage giving them +2A on the charge. They can also take the old tech like flame and melta pistols. I think they may fit the description of just how tough the fallen are. Add a reclusiarch chaplin for all the rerolls.

Is there a better troop choise that I have missed?

Archived