The Experior Hosts

Siyanis

Hiya everybody! I'm new to the forum but old to the hobby. I've tried not to do too much creepy lurkin' but now's the time to share, so...

This whole army was inspired by the Tartarus Terminators and the new Stormbird. I didn't think either kit would fit well in the Legion of the Damned, and I was getting tired of adding to that already sizeable force, so it was time to invent something new.

(Drawn on the Note. Terrible accuracy on the stylus. Emperor forgive me...

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/concept.jpg

I have a great big fluff-filled background I can expunge on later, but for now, the potatoes and meat! Pics of minis! (Courtesy of the Samsung Galaxy Note for photos, btw. Forgive the phone pic quality!)

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/airwingalpha.jpg

Originally, before Forge World totally built me one in kit form, I had created this oversized Stormraven for... hmm. Some really rich inquisitor? Well, anyway, now it's part of my allies attachment (and probably blood angels so I'll have an excuse to fill it with boldly painted assault marines death-from-aboving like crazy!)

Oh, and a couple pictures of it patrolling hardwood with it's wingmen.

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/airwing2.jpg

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/airwing3.jpg

Here's a start on the base tones I'll be working with going forward.

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/basetone1.jpg

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/base2.jpg

(Note the cool black light eyes! OooOoOOOooo)

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/base3.jpg

More stuff! I'd like to more or less bring this thread up to current status, so here goes.

So I've had the AoBR marines sitting in a plastic bin for... however long it's been since that kit was released. They're too clean and tidy for the Legion, so they were just going to wait forever. Now, I get to pull a White Dwarf and paint these guys up for one last big party before they get outmoded for 6th's starter kit.

Anyway, here goes the squad after the first layer. (I'll post when I get home with the names of the paints I'm using, if that's something you folks'd enjoy.)

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/firstlayer1.jpg

Aaaand the first set of three marines with some clean finish work...

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/colortests.jpg

Oh, and a closeup of the Sarge so you can see the curly happy pattern on his shoulderpad.

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/Experior/sarg.jpg

Hooray! There ya go guys and gals, do please let me know if you've got suggestions, thoughts, impressions, that sorta thing. I'll put up some fluff art next.

• 3 months later...

Far too many schedule changes at my work, and I've fallen so far behind in painting. I've not given up though! Here's a little something I've been working on. A librarian made out of mostly spare parts from my Vanguard Veteran squad in the works:

http://www.theavantguard.com/bac/experior/librarian.jpg

Anyway, hope to get that fluff up there soon! Got drawings and all sorts of stuff to show. Great ideas for the Fellblade. Mmmm. Fellblade.

• 3 months later...

I've been delayed in my work. But this delay has passed so now I can not only dream of getting back to work on the Experior Host, I can finally update this project. 

These minis aren't quite finished. I don't yet have a chapter symbol and I'm also digging deep into my well of inspiration for some really compelling coat-of-arms style squad or perhaps individual soldier markings. 

Also, the very clean chapter design is begging for IG style numbering, but the Astartes demands roman numerals. Anyway, here goes. 

http://planetike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/final04a.jpg

I apologize that my camera and light configuration creates some artificial sheen which will remain until I give them that happy matte coat (and I don't think that heavy plaz is ready for the tabletop yet.) Here's another shot for your pleasure.

http://planetike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/final02a.jpg

The fluff for this chapter is awesome, and takes the sort of bold liberties regarding the history of the Imperium that, I hope, will put down the right sort of expandable foundation for future projects. 

So, the plasma glow: (all minis based in black krylon-like cheapo matte stuff)

Base is Macragge Blue, then the glowy bits get built up across the coil with Genestealer Purple ( like, non respective of where the energy's at, so you could drybrush this if you were in a hurry. Will try on a scout. Wait... scout + plaz? huff huff.)

then you use your detail brush and line the center of each coil with Emperor's Children.

Now the coil's 'done' and so I did the actual ball of energy with first a mix of Emperor's Children and Lucius Lilac (1/1.25 salt to taste). Then the inner hotter ball is Lucius Lilac first watered down for a blending layer, then drybrushed on. Tap with Skull white at the hottest points.

Energy ball done, the light casting for blacklight seems to be (so far ) generous very thin layers of Macragge Blue/water (1/4 or more if you're like those monsters on YouTube). Since the heavy plaz would pretty much kick out the full belting frequency, I went with a 1/2 mix around everything that was within blinding range and slopped it on like a wash so it would totally fill in the cracks and obscure the deliniation between coil and reflection. (cuzz blacklights have that awesome haze around them.)

Oh, and sometimes I wash the BL lightcast in Leviathan Purple, but not on this heavy plaz. I'll do it on the next one so we can compare. 

In the end, tap the edges of the lit areas with Ulthuan Grey instead of Skull white to get the strange UV edge highlights.

Then let me see, cuzz your UV glow is done.

Next time I'll see if I can be so bold as to snap some pics in step by step fashion.  I make no commitments! Anyway, I hope this has been helpful. 

Let me ask the wife to set up some really good pics for ya (and please, I mist funish the yellowpipe and red pipe, pick out some details. I'm a big fan of plaz and so it means a lot to me. <3 ) 

Also, I think my next piece is the techmarine and he's got a pair of plaz on one of his goofy-as-heck extra arms. (a big part of me says 'hey, where's the harness why aren't you doing anything with that?) so I'll snap a pic of that too so maybe it can become clear.

• 5 months later...

Wow! Hey, got sucked up in all those sweet C:SM rumors. *excuses*

I have updates! First, I built a dready, and painted some scouts. Strange, I don't think I've taken pictures of the scouts. So lets' start with Eisenhower, venerable dready. I wanted something special. Here's the sketch of the design. 

concept

I built the thing. 

handcannon

Then attached it to the arm. Whoo! lookit how those pipes lined up. That was not free of headaches.

assembly

Eisenhower got painted in bits. I tried to focus on thinned paint, and smooth stylish gradients laid in by hand without drybrushing sculpting up to the edges. Without being overly bold. Also, wanted a '1st company' color scheme that reflected the 3+ savers' look while also building on it, and upping the opulence. 

metals

That's a helluva thing, making a Plasma Cannon look like a little pistol. The paint scheme is interesting, fairly reminiscent of the Red Scorpions thanks to that orange-yellow trim, but it works. Why am I not seeing a Chapter icon though?

More than anything, I envy your digital art skills tongue.png I can't figure out how to do anything beyond black and white sketching with my tablet teehee.gif

Hm, can't say I've ever seen that used before, and it has the simplicity you generally need in an icon design.  I don't know anything about the Chapter's personality, so I can't really weigh in on whether or not it's a proper choice for their personality, but aesthetically it seems like a neat choice :)

Thanks! The backstory is percolating. I had one that was 'over the top', it's still there, i'm toning it in, tidying it up, giving it enough guts that it can have a long captive life.

Alrighty, in keeping with updating my chapter's progress, here's the story: While I was carving up that plasma gun I wanted to also paint something. I didn't sketch or plan these guys but the general idea seems to be that 'less orange says more' in this chapter (though I don't think this rule applies to local planetary governance, police, and guard forces who most likely have very little orange in prominent locations as a 'How's your Father' to their super-soldier big brothers. 

Perhaps, like many high education systems this is exuberant fraternity, as if to say 'Come, have a go, if you think that you are hard enough. Why yes, I do bite my thumb, and these are the regalia of the Host in which I am nobly housed. I am -covered- in orange, you know precisely what this means. What house are you from, may I ask?" These are the sorts of social interactions that are metered by social engineers, cogitators who regularly must tabulate the results of different methods of indoctrination and advanced training.

scouts01

You know how it is when you see two honest to goodness TROOPS choices all painted up, you just have to put a legal force together with an HQ choice. I'm really glad, in retrospect, that I passed up the AoBR captain seeing as how he's being re-released with a slick gravity gun and a brushhead. Brusheads are totally retro.

So, knowing I was probably going to melt the paint off a prior marneus calgar 'counts as cuzz i took his fists' model from freshman year highschool to build -another- interpretation of Calgar for my chapter's interests I didn't feel obligated to construct a captain yet. 

I have a metal Chaplain and that's a slick model just how it is. I've thought of adding wings, that may happen, I don't think it's in the cards. It's goofy. Just because CHAOS has to suffer the Stay Puft Marshmallow Demontank doesn't mean I need to put silly wings on everything just yet. *THIS IS FORESHADOWING*

So. Master of the Forge! And I had a pretty sweet bit of kitbashing to offer up here. I've always loved the Iron Warriors Forge guy. I've had this metal piece since it was released, and lovingly *HYPERACTIVELY* shaved off the metal chaos stuff sometime in my youth, around 1998. It's been poorly painted and stripped a few times and this time I'm thinking it'll stay painted. 

forgemaster01

He's over halfway done. I would very much like to see him as fidgety and crazy technicolor as the original appearances of techmarines would suggest they're to look. 

forgemaster02

Okay, and this should also serve as another exploration of the black light glow stuff. 

ike01

This is Eisenhower, Venerable Dreadnought, Experior Hosts 1st company. 

ike02

I'm really happy with where he's gone so far, the whole 'taking my time' thing seems to have paid off. This payoff is an illusion. The stance is a bit on the gangly side, but you know what? Contemptors are gangly. At least this one's going full 'Oh that's what it does' with a Plasma Cannon Pistol. 

ike03

I'm also very happy with how the helmet (and the same intense plasma glow as well as copper/brass weapon casings) really tie him in with the rest of the army even though his tone is starkly different than theirs. This is also an illusion. It's pretty much the exact same paints in grossly upside-down quantities of application. 

So while I'm painting up Ike above, I'm getting a feel for the 1st Company. Specifically, 8th Squad. 'The Surveyors'. Stalwart, defensive. I could see them being a part of a detachment with Eisenhower and lookin' snazzy. Also, I wanted to keep up the 'Our labels grow subtle as our deeds swell. Thus, do they propel The Emperor's glory far beyond the luster of our trinkets and garb.'

8th01

We can see it's Tartaros Pattern, but with the classic roundy-top storm bolter with the 41st millennium chamber/reciever shroud. Since Tartaros guns come with fists attached, this was not challenging. The backs of some hands had to be trimmed. 

Two things, though.

1a: I bought the Deathwing for the classic storm bolters, but

1b: I -stayed- for the Heavy Plasma Terminator Cannon. Mmm. Also,

2a: the terminator with the super-low cowl was just too cool to stay a bit forever and I  knew just where to put it. Also,

2b: the fantastic sword. 

8th02

Now, I've brought the thread more-or-less up to date. These models were still in the Forgeworld plastic baggie-o-parts on Saturday afternoon. This is Wednesday night's stopping point. There was progress Thursday, and I'll bundle that with any additional work tonight and hopefully pump out one more pic.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the scout.  I'd tone back the orange just a bit, probably just changing the color of his helmet.  But over all it's a very inspired system of tiers.  It's a bit of a throw to change the tint of blue between the standard Marine and the elites, but the orange and small dabs of the original blue-gray keep them looking cohesive enough that it almost doesn't even catch the eye at a glance.

The next issue to tackle- how are you gonna base these guys?

So, the bases stay grey. Well, astrogranite. Excuses follow:

1: A lot of folks have simple grey tables (or green, but with lots of grey terrain, so it'll be okay) so that'll be nice. 

2: My table in planning is a moooonscape. :) Won't that be fantastic. Mmm. Good times. That's how GW's gonna keep getting my money when I get on the finishing side of the Experior Host. 

3: The 'home game' field will be using vapor and gas lamp effects. The stark simple grey bases will blend away into the fog and will react well with the lighting. 

4: There are problems when I start taking great bases seriously. Kinda get into the weeds and it prevents me from getting models onto the tabletop so I can play and make friends and all that great stuff. Let's have an example which segways into how stoked I am about the new C:SM

My 'Khan on his Bike' force commander. I stopped painting this guy four years ago. I just wasn't good enough, I knew I had something slick and I knew he'd remain relevant to future projects. I think next time I need a break from various blues this guy's on the block to get closer to completion so he can 'ally up' with my clearly C:DA marines. (heavy plas on termies. Still crossing my fingers that's available for vanilla marines)

Legion Horseman

So this guy's got a 9 bike Troops-choice backup. Needs a base. I have plans for a table'able base, but the gremlins got into my brains and the base kept growing, and getting crazy. It consumed me.

basing01

Vroom!

It'll look nice once the grey goes in. I think there should be plants too, a really contrastingly vibrant low-growth lichen or fluffy fungus/moss. There are plans to explore this once there's a table, or if I just -have to- make some terrain.

anyhoo!

I think it's neat how Space Marines can now be treated like Magic decks (though I don't have much experience with mtg). Essentially we can choose from many colors to build our decks (though if I remember rainbow decks are hard to do, it's best to stick with one or two colors. in 40k, 1 or 2 detachments.). So maybe you want a Blood Angels/White Scars deck? give it a go. There's even some blends that work as multiple colors. 

The lands are the Tactical Squad, Scout Squad, and your techmarines, librarians and chaplains can be moved from one army flavor to another with all sorts of fun exceptions like rune priests and whatnot. It's certainly not m:tg in specifics but I love the 'standardized clockwork requirements with limited custom cogs' Which means I don't see any reason why I couldn't dedicate 5th company to space wolves style marines. Did you know they ride dogs? Or grab those ravenwing plasma-gun-bikes, OMG. 

No matter how many different flavors go into the blends available to the Experior Host and it's compartmentalized structure, my plan is that the simple 'grey base, splash of green fluffy, orange on the armor' will be a clear message that these crews battle as one in the continued stewardship of the Expar Coil. 

Aww, Firepower, you didn't dig that mega orange head? I think he's the business! I'm sure the next squad of scouts will have a different layout since they'll be a:plastic and b: snipers and c: kitted out with a LSS which I think will be getting the 'insertion fit'. I wonder if they'll hit closer to the mark? 

Archived