The confusion of look out sir

Sixestohit

Hello all!

I know this is probably being discussed in other places, but for our benefit can we have a definitive clarification of when you take the look out sir rolls. As BA we can take sarges with SS or corbulo at the front of our units to soak plasma etc. So this is particularly relevant to us.

Could someone answer me the following so I can try to wrap my head around it?

Assume 10 assault marines with a priest in there and a sargeant with SS at the front.

They take 5 bolt gun shots and 2 plasma shots.

The opponent chooses to resolve the bolt gun shots first.

Which order do I take my saves (3++ armour/invuln, 4+LOS and 5+FNP) now come in for each group of wounds?

Many thanks in advance,

Confused James.

In a situation where the saves are identical, you can roll saves then LOSs. SAy against the bolter fire, it really doesn't matter if you roll save then FNP then LOS since everyone has 3+ armor/5+FNP.

In a situation where the saves are different, such as the Plasmashots with the 3++ and everyone else with nothing, you need to roll the LOSs first. You can't save with the Storm Shield, then try to LOS the failed storm shield saves to someone else.

More simply put - in all cases a Look out Sir roll is made as soon as you allocate a wound to a Character model. The BRB Shooting phase tells you clearly when to Allocate a wound to a model. It either says "Roll save, then Allocate"(in the case of similar saves) or "Allocate, then roll save"(in the case of mixed saves).

Archived